Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Saratoga

Default Was this a big enough field?

One to watch.....

The divine Miss Beatrix, beating out 27 others to win the Shelbourne Hotel Goffs Million (..... just like Gallant said she would).

(To view, click on the race of the day)

http://www.attheraces.com/sectionhom...0nav&nav=video

From Sporting Life.....

BEATRIX PLUNDERS MILLION PRIZE
(no author listed)

Connections of Miss Beatrix hit the jackpot at the Curragh on Ryder Cup Raceday as the filly recorded a resounding success in the inaugural Shelbourne Hotel Goffs Million.

With a huge purse of 985,000 euros on offer to the winner, 28 runners went to post but the Kevin Prendergast-trained juvenile proved there is no substitute for class with a one-and-a-quarter-length success at a generous 6-1.

The daughter of Danehill Dancer won the Group One Moyglare Stud Stakes on her previous start and the decision to run her in the feature race rather than against her own sex paid huge dividends.

The big field split into two groups but the majority decided to go to the stands rail.

However, it soon became apparent the far side was the place to be as Declan McDonogh, currently leading the Irish jockeys' title race, sent Miss Beatrix for home with fully two furlongs to run.

Mark Johnston's Drumfire gave chase along with Michael Halford's Emerald Hill and Jeremy Noseda's Laddies Poker, but the bird had flown and the celebrations from McDonogh as he passed the post said it all.

Michael Bell's Regime (16-1) made late headway on the stands side under Jamie Spencer to claim second, with Drumfire (7-1) having to settle for third.

"I didn't want her jumping and running too free. I thought the ground might affect her but she got the trip well. She got a nice tow off the Halford horse, although I thought she got there a little too soon," said Prendergast.

"She'll go to Bill Durkan's (owner) for a good rest and come back in January. We have options in either Guineas, although Newmarket might be better ground as it tends to be drier. Whatever she does now is a bonus."

The sponsors cut Miss Beatrix to 16-1 for the Stan James 1000 Guineas, the same price as Cork-based Cashmans, while VC Bet and William Hill go 20-1.

Spencer said of the runner-up: "I was drawn very low so I had no choice but to come up the stands side and he was very outpaced early on, he needs a mile now.

"I got left in front on my own side. The other side were always four or five lengths up, but if you watch the head on you will see that he was very unlucky.

"He's just a big green baby and when he saw the big crowd he just lunged for the rail, he lost momentum and ground and I honestly feel that if I was drawn with the other horses I would have won.

"That makes him a Group One horse so let's hope there is a big day to come with him yet."
Old 09-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
One to watch.....

The divine Miss Beatrix, beating out 27 others to win the Shelbourne Hotel Goffs Million (..... just like Gallant said she would).
good call gallant!

personally i stay away from 27 horse fields as i have enough problems with fields of ten.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
pgardn

And breaking from the 28th hole. What a strange race. Choose which side of the course is the place to be. Thanks for the vid.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:48 PM
5'8".. but all man!

that was kinda cool. I like how they broke into 2 different groups on opposite sides of the track. The announcer did a wonderful job calling the race considering he had to keep up with 28 horses. He did sound like he was in a coma until about the last 1/4 mile.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
good call gallant!

personally i stay away from 27 horse fields as i have enough problems with fields of ten.
28 but
whose counting?