Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
The latest from Sporting Life.....

O'BRIEN AND DETTORI IN ASCOT ROW
By PA Sport Staff

Controversy reigned after the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot following George Washington's sensational return to his brilliant best.

Frankie Dettori and Aidan O'Brien clashed in the weighing room after Seamus Heffernan was handed a 14-day suspension for improper riding on Ivan Denisovich, one of three horses the Ballydoyle trainer ran in the one-mile showpiece.

Heffernan was banned from October 4 to October 17 inclusive after the stewards ruled he had caused deliberate interference to Dettori's mount Librettist on the final bend.

At an enquiry under Rule 153 and the HRA Instruction H1 headed 'Pacemakers (Team Tactics)', the officials decided Heffernan had deliberately taken Dettori off his line on the Godolphin-owned Librettist, who faded into sixth behind the winner.

As O'Brien pleaded with stewards' secretary Adrian Sharpe, Dettori boiled over when O'Brien tried to talk to him about the incident.

"It's out of order," the Italian said.

O'Brien continued to plead with Sharpe and said: "They've given Seamus two weeks for doing nothing. All he did was hold his position. Frankie stated it was foul play on our part and that we ganged up on him, but that was not the case."

Asked if he would appeal against the decision, O'Brien said: "What's the point?" and then left the racecourse.

oooh...drama
Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Golden Gate

just watched the race a couple more times. that's a bogus foul. ivan denisovich bobbled out for one stride but it looked like he was reacting to the horse inside of him. it's a huge stretch to call it interference.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

just read about it at equidaily. a two week sit down for that?! that's ridiculous.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Any chance we see G-Dub in the BC?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Any chance we see G-Dub in the BC?
Yes, in a post race interview with O'Brian he said it is very likely that they will go to the mile with him.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Can someone post a link to watch a replay, I am dying to see it.
go to atthraces.com

click on video, then race of the day.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Johannesburg

http://www.attheraces.com/article.as...d+king&day=Sun

Click on watch now on Race of The Day
Old 09-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Thanks for the link.. Definitely looks like a scary horse..
Old 09-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Santa Anita

will be a tough horse to beat in the BC Mile..

#Grand
Old 09-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Churchill Downs

I backed Court Masterpiece to get a place. Don't know why he gets so little respect; he finished best of the 4 and up crowd.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Saratoga

I hope they'll be okay.....

Godolphin pair reported lame after QEII defeats
by Rodney Masters and Tony O'Hehir

GODOLPHIN duo Librettist (pic) and Proclamation were both lame on Sunday after sustaining defeats in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes that left their stable with virtually no chance of finishing the season in Europe with a UK Group 1 victory.

Future plans for themilers were on hold but racing manager Simon Crisford acknowledged that the stable was unlikely to field a candidate in the campaign’s two remaining Group 1 events for three-year-olds and up, the Kingdom of Bahrain Sun Chariot Stakes and Emirates AirlineChampion Stakes.

Librettist, who had won two Group 1 races coming into Saturday’s race, finished a disappointing sixth and Proclamation, who was also expected to play a prominent part in the outcome of the race, only a place ahead of his stablemate. Crisford said: “Both horses are lame in front so it is a question of monitoring their progress in the next few days. Everything is on hold. Proclamation was disappointing and never looked like he had any finishing kick in him. Librettist didn’trun anything like as well as he can run.”

Godolphin horses have won four Group 1 prizes in Europe but unless a contender emerges for one of the remaining two-year-old prizes, the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes was probably the team’s last throw of the diceat that level in Britain.

Crisford added: “I don’t think we will have anything in the Champion Stakes or the Sun Chariot Stakes.”

The Ed Dunlop-trained Court Masterpiece, who finished third behind George Washington, has run his last race in Britainand will have two races in Japan before standing at a stud in the Far East.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Saratoga

Thanks for your thoughts. Hope you'll do the same before and after the Sun Chariot.

(Great headline.....) From Racing Post.....

O'Brien: "Frankie threw the toys out of the pram like a spoilt child"
by Tony O'Hehir

AIDAN O'BRIEN on Sunday accused Frankie Dettori of "throwing the toys out of the pram like a spoilt child" in the aftermath of George Washington's brilliant Queen Elizabeth II Stakes win under Mick Kinane at Ascot on Saturday.

The normally reticent O'Brien rarely indulges in public criticism on any issue but, stirred and upset by the 14-day ban imposed on Seamus Heffernan for alleged improper riding on the Ballydoyle-trained Ivan Denisovich in Saturday's big race, he launched into both a spirited defence of Heffernan and an angry condemnation of Dettori in relation to what happened on Saturday.

O'Brien's comments mark a further cooling in relations between O'Brien and Dettori's respective employers, Coolmore and Sheikh Mohammed, the two superpowers of racing. Sheikh Mohammed already refuses to use Coolmore stallions or buy their progeny.

Heffernan was banned by the Ascot stewards for allegedly being involved in "team tactics" in an incident involving the Dettori-ridden Librettist on the final bend in the Group 1 event, the first time stewards have invoked Instruction H1 of the rules of racing which was brought in following the 2003 Shergar Cup.

O'Brien, who confirmed that there will be an appeal against Heffernan's ban, claimed that Heffernan did nothing more than try to hold his position on Ivan Denisovich and added that he could not believe that "the Ascot stewards went along with Frankie's version of events".

O'Brien said: "We ran River Tiber as a pacemaker in Saturday's race. Everybody knewthat. Ivan Denisovich had been an unlucky second in a ten furlong Group 1 at Arlington and ran very lazily when he won a Listed race over a mile at the Curragh.

"We put a visor on him to sharpen him on Saturday and the plan was for him to follow the pacemaker and to do his best to have every chance in the race. Frankie rushed his horse up on Seamus's outside before the turn and all Seamus did was hold his position as he was perfectly entitled to do. Because of this Frankie found himself carried a bitwide.

"Immediately after the race Frankie started shouting at Christophe Soumillon (who rode runner-up Araafa), got him on side and into the stewards room with him. And we all know what happened in there. I cannot believe that the stewards went alongwith Frankie's version of what happened."

O'Brien added: "Frankie often likes to dictate things in a race to suit himself and he often succeeds at getting to the front, pulling up the pace and then kicking for home. Other jockeys often follow him likesheep.

"All we wanted on Saturday was a solidly run, honest one mile race. We ran the same pacemaker in the Celebration Mile at Goodwood and Frankie (who won the race on Caradak) came in and said on TV that our horse went too fast and that he didn't follow him. The other jockeys followed Frankie and it paid off for him. George Washington was racing too keenly that day and Mick had to hold him up.

"When everything goes right Frankie is great, but on Saturday when things didn't work out for him, hehad to blame someone. That someone was Seamus. Frankie threw the toys out of the pram like a spoilt child.

"We are going to appeal the decision as we feel Seamus did nothing wrong and was very hard done by. We want to put what we feel about Saturday on the official record."

Regarding the much publicised rift between Coolmore and Godolphin, O'Brien said: "A lot of people talk about it, but as far as we at Ballydoyle are concerned it doesn't exist. "But what I do know is that after Frankie won the St Leger for us on Scorpion last year, we rang up to try and book him for another horse of ours. We were told that Frankie was not allowed ride for us anymore. What is anyone to make of that?"

O'Brien added: "I tried to talk to Frankie after Saturday's race but all he was interested in was shouting and hurling verbal abuse at me."

Dettori on Sunday repeated his claim that Heffernan's tactics amounted to "foul play".

He said: “I completely stand by what I said yesterday. I thought it was foul play. He deliberately went out of his way to run me wide off the bend. It wouldn’t have made the slightest difference to the result. He was out there to spoil my chance.

“I was very angry about it yesterday. Thestewards saw the same view as me. The penalties are whatever they are. It’s out of my hands. They are professional stewards who know what they are doing. It’s black and white for everyone to see. I’ve got no more to say.”

Dettori had the backing of Godolphin on Sunday. Their racing manager Simon Crisford said: “As far as Librettist is concerned this is not a case of winning or losing but Frankie felt he had been interfered with deliberately and the stewards agreed with him.”

Stipendiary steward William Nunneley on Sunday explained that the incident occurred approaching the final bend where Ivan Denisovich, with Librettist to his left, came off the rail to steer a wider course into the straight. Though the pair bump later on, it is the earlier manoeuvre that resulted in the breach of the rules.

Stipendiary steward William Nunneley said: “We were going to have an inquiry anyway because of the bump but when Dettori came in, he told us what happened. It’s absolutely borne out on the film. Heffernan did take him wide and the instruction is quite clear.

“He has gone from the rail to six horses wide nearly. If he was running to his best he would have stayed as close as he could to the rail. In our view he has definitely angled out.

“We followed the recommended entry point for the penalty which is 14 days. This is deemed improper because we think it is purposeful. If it was one horse versus one from another stable the penalty would have been much less. Because of the type of race it was and the fact there were three horses from the same yard it falls under team tactics.”

Instruction H1 Pacemakers (Team Tactics)
The HRA are of the opinion that the rules of racing do not prohibit the running of horses as pacemakers as such, provided they are run on their merits as required by Rule 155.

Moreover, the HRA instruct that other than the act of pacemaking itself, no manoeuvre in the interests of another horse in the same ownership or from the same stables or team shall take place whether or not such a manoeuvre would or would not contravene any rule of racing.

The HRA therefore give notice that they have instructed stewards to exercise their powers under rule 15 (i) when they consider that the rider or trainer of a pacemaker has failed to comply with the requirements of rules 155, 157 or 158 or that the rider has committed an offence under rule 153 (iii) or taken some other action in breach of this Instruction which in the opinion of the stewards was intended to give advantage to another horse or horses in the race. The HRA further warn trainers and riders that stewards will take severe disciplinary action against any person who they find to be in breach of these rules or this Instruction.