Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Saratoga

Default The QE II

Nice field shaping up.....

Love a few here but i just don't see anyone beating Librettist, period.

Ascot - 16:20 - Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Group 1)
(Sat 23 Sep) 12:25:33

George Washington
Librettist
Araafa
Court Masterpiece
Proclamation
Nannina
Caradak
Aussie Rules
Rajeem
Ivan Denisovich
Killybegs
Satchem
River Tiber

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...scot_QEII.html
Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Byerley Turk

hey!! noone can beat Librettist. i agree

Last edited by Byerley Turk : 09-18-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byerley Turk
Just Touch!!!!!

My favorite girl in Turkey!

Glad you're here!

` sunday
Old 09-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byerley Turk
hi marlin.

go
just touch!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Saratoga

Soumillon gets the mount on Araafa.....
Old 09-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Lincoln Fields

A race that appears likely to result in the crowning of 2006's champion miler, with all those who can justifiably lay claim to the title entered at the five-day stage. Three-year-olds have won six of the last ten renewals and, outside of Summoner, a pacemaker who poached the race in 2001, it has taken older horses out of the top drawer to stop them - Starcraft, Rakti and Falbrav multiple Group 1 winners when successful.
Much of the attention is likely to centre on George Washington, impressive winner of the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket in May. Aidan O'Brien's three-year-old has, however, failed to come close to that level of form in two starts since. He appeared to find the heavy ground against him when finishing two lengths second to Araafa in the Irish 2,000 Guineas, where he was subsequently found to have pulled muscles above his hip, a niggling injury which necessitated a three-month absence. His return, in the Celebration Mile at Goodwood, raised further questions over his temperament. Whilst calm enough throughout the preliminaries, albeit accompanied by an outrider in the pre-parade and onto the track, during the race he wasn't so agreeable. Particularly slowly away and thereafter failing to settle dropped out, he appeared disinclined when shaken up to close, hanging left close home. Unless there is significant rain beforehand George Washington should be perfectly suited by conditions, and his ability to win such a race is not in doubt, his attitude, on the other hand, must be.
George Washington finished a length and a quarter behind Caradak at Goodwood, and he may well face tougher Godolphin opposition in the form of Librettist and Proclamation this time around. The former has won seven of his eight lifetime starts, including all five on his return from an eighteen-month break this season, showing form bordering on high-class to win two Group 1 events in France. It may not have been a vintage renewal of the Prix Jacques Le Marois at Deauville in August where Librettist announced his arrival as one of the continent's leading milers, in the process landing Godolphin their first top flight victory of the season. Whilst he was all out to hold on there, the form has a solid look to it with the next four home all placed in Group 1 races since. Two of those - Stormy River and Manduro - again finished behind Librettist as he became the first since Spinning World in 1997 to complete the Jacques Le Maroir/Prix du Moulin double. Frankie Dettori made all on the latter occasion, quickening two furlongs from home and holding off the late charge of Stormy River. The Queen Elizabeth II Stakes is shaping to be more competitive than either of those events, however, and on balance Librettist appears to have more to find. Given his profile, this is far from impossible, and he rates a serious contender. Last season's joiint Champion miler, Proclamation, blossomed into a top-=class performer as a three-year-old, but things have not gone his way since being switched from Jeremy Noseda to Saeed bin Suroor. He was making his seasonal debut, and appeared in fine shape, when third to Ad Valorem in the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot. For all that the race was a somewhat messy affair and that it was his first encounter with ground firmer than good, it was a fairly disappointing return, his customary turn of foot missing. The yard's runners were struggling for form at the time and, returning from a three-month absence there is every reason to expect much more from Proclamation this time around. Dettori has opted to ride Librettist and, as such, his price is around half that of his stablemate; however, from a form perspective it is Proclamation who is perhaps the more interesting.
Court Masterpiece has proved himself to be better than ever this season, showing further progress to record the second Group 1 success of his career in the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood last time. That was his fourth course victory at the Sussex track, but he has also run well at Ascot before - notably when runner-up in the Queen Anne on his penultimate outing - albeit exclusively on the straight course. In the event the Sussex Stakes was a pretty average renewal, with both Araafa and Soviet Song below their best, and those that finished behind Court Masterpiece have generally failed to uphold the form since. It would be churlish to imagine Ed Dunlop's six-year-old is not capable of the further improvement that would seemingly be required to win what would appear a stronger event, although the claims held by some of his younger rivals are slightly more compelling.
Beyond George Washington, the most interesting three-year-old is his old rival Araafa. Having finished fourth in the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket, Araafa turned the tables on Aidan O'Brien's colt in the Irish version at the Curragh three weeks later. He proved that he wasn't reliant on testing conditions to show his best when running out an impressive winner of the St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot next time by two lengths from Stormy River. Jeremy Noseda's charge was sent off a warm order in the Sussex Stakes, but ultimately paid the price for sitting close to an overly-strong pace set by Echo of Light. That horse proved that the form of the race should not be taken literally by winning at York earlier this month, and it is highly likely that Araafa too will fare better than at Goodwood returning to the scene of his career-best effort. Christophe Soumillon comes in for the ride with regular partner Alan Munro sidelined.
Representing the fillies is Nannina, who has performed creditably when in the frame in four starts since finding the soft conditions against her in the 1,000 Guineas on her reappearance. Since running out a taking winner of the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot, Nannina has shaped as if in need of a greater test, putting up her best effort since when two lengths behind Ouija Board and Alexander Goldrun in the Nassau Stakes at Goodwood on her penultimate start. A fast-finishing fourth to Red Evie when dropped back to a mile in the Matron Stakes at the Curragh last time was a fair effort, but one which suggests that she may find this test of speed too much taking on the colts for the first time.
This race revolves around the magnetic presence of George Washington. It will be fascinating to see whether his quirky nature prevents him from reproducing the form of his sensational 2,000 Guineas victory. If it doesn't, it is hard to envisage his defeat. But it requires something of a leap of faith to back him at the likely odds. Araafa seems certain to prove his Sussex Stakes run all wrong, but perhaps of greater interest is his former stablemate Proclamation. Despite being passed over by Frankie, he may well be able to confirm the most positive impression he made as a three-year-old with his yard in far better form than when he made his reappearance.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Lincoln Fields

Found it very difficult to come to a conclusion for this piece. Think George Washington is the most likely winner, and will kick myself when he does so on Saturday, but couldn't put him up given he will be so short a price. Just hope Proclamation gets in the first three!
Old 09-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Byerley Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallant bloom
hi marlin.

go
just touch!

hey gallant! i have a feeling that i'll have fun here )...... glad u guys are here..........
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Hwjb:

I could not have said it any better myself!

Very impressive. Thanks for the overview.

Enjoy the racing.

Thanks Cardus, just hope you find it of some use if opting to bet on the race!

At the moment I'm planning to back Proclamation win & place, Araafa to place and will have a bit on George over Proclamation. Will be laying Librettist for the win and Nannina for a place.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Lincoln Fields

Default Ratings

Nine declared runners, with River Tiber the apparent pacemaker for George Washington and Ivan Denisovich.

GEORGE WASHINGTON (IRE) 140
COURT MASTERPIECE 139 +
PROCLAMATION (IRE) 139
LIBRETTIST (USA) 135 +
NANNINA 133
ARAAFA (IRE) 133
KILLYBEGS (IRE) 127
IVAN DENISOVICH (IRE) 126
RIVER TIBER 119 ?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Golden Gate

i see araafa taking this one.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Saratoga

Librettist / Court Masterpiece / Araafa

(I reserve the right to change my mind).
Old 09-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Golden Gate

will it be on tvg???

if not, can it be viewed live on the web somewhere?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Bowie

prolly on that
strange uae site
which i am sure
someone will
post.

librettist in
his only loss
this year.

court masterpiece/
librettist/
river tiber/
king george

Last edited by gallant bloom : 09-22-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:31 PM
six perfections

River Tiber at a nice price.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Morris Park

George will reclaim the top miler status this week. I think he is healthy and ready to run huge.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Morris Park

It sounds like there was a ton of rain there. It will be interesting to see what AO does.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Santa Anita

rain has ruined what could have been a fantastic race.. Godolphin 1-2 for me..

#Grand
Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Golden Gate

live feed? anyone? and what time central u.s.?

thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayStar
live feed? anyone? and what time central u.s.?

thanks
There's always a chance it could be here.....

http://live.ae/

Worth a try tomorrow morning.

Nannina was ruled out.....

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 09-22-2006 at 09:53 PM.