Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Saratoga

Default Yeats ruled out (.... Melbourne Cup updates)

Just up on FoxSports AU.....

Yeats out of Melbourne Cup
(no author listed)

September 18, 2006 YEATS has been ruled out of the Melbourne Cup following his shock defeat in the Irish St Leger at the weekend.

The Aidan O'Brien-trained five year old was the subject of an Australia-wide betting plunge last week, and he was promoted to Cup favouritism with many agencies before the classic.

But Yeats was beaten ˝ length by Kastoria at The Curragh, and Michael Kirwan, manager of owner Coolmore Stud's Australian operation, confirmed today that the Ascot Gold Cup winner would stay at home this year.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:03 AM
Lincoln Fields

It's far from surprising that he isn't being sent to Flemington, for a race that has never been remotely close to crossing Ballydoyle's radar before.

Whilst Yeats will be of little value as a Flat stallion, he will almost certainly be popular amongst National Hunt circles, and I suspect he may have run his last race. It would be a shame if that were the case, as he has proven himself one of the best stayers of recent times, and all would like to see him embellishing his record by staying in training another season or two.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Saratoga

Better Talk Now is out.....
Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 AM
Lincoln Fields

Default Hold your horses

Contrary to reports from Australia, Yeats remains a possible starter according to APO'B. Despite returning stiff from the Irish St Leger:

"We are not closing the door on the Melbourne Cup as far as Yeats is concerned, and we intend giving it a week to see how he recovers from his race on Saturday." O'Brien.

He will need to be quarantined if Australia is to remain an option. For me, though, it is worth remembering that he failed to hold his form after winning the Coronation Cup last season, and it may well be the case that he peaked during the summer. And, for all that he wasn't that far below form on Saturday, I imagine I will be taking him on if he is to run again this season, wherever it may be. Yeats is available to back at 23/1 on Betfair for Flemington (he had been as short as 11/2 prior to this weekend).
Old 09-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Saratoga

Read about that last night..... what do you think AOB will decide to do here?

My question, meanwhile, is where's the Ace news???
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
It's too bad that Yeats has been withdrawn from consideration. (The only account that I read, from the Sydney Morning Herald, 9/18 edition, was that O'Brien was mulling his options.)

With Eremein -- the best middle distance horse Down Under -- being pointed to the Cox Plate, it looks like a year when a foreigner can take The Nation Stopper. After Eremein, it looks like a mixed bag.

Godolphin and "Shake Mo" do not seem to have a serious -- or any -- threat to win the race, other than the Kentucky Derby, that they cherish (of races they've yet to win).

I'm certain of one thing, though: having seen only three Melbourne Cups, it will be strange to see a horse other than "The Diva" win it.

Enjoy the racing.
Once Headturner and Railings get rolling here in the next few weeks, the foreigner's won't look so promising.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Johannesburg

Godolphin's Imperial Stride won today at Goodwood.

He is being pointed to the Melbourne Cup according to Godolphin.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Bowie

yeats goes into
quarantine
on friday.
i guess they
changed
the plan again.