Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Lincoln Fields

Default Aidan O'Brien's tough weekend

With both Yeats and Holy Roman Emperor beaten at long odds on in Group 1 events at The Curragh today, this will be a weekend that O'Brien will be looking to forget.

Yeats' loss in the Irish St Leger looked inconceivable based on his successes in the Gold Cup and Goodwood Cup earlier in the season. The drop back to 1m6f may have been a minor inconvenience, but it can't be used as an excuse for last season's Coronation Cup (12f) winner. It is self evident that the winner, Kastoria, is an improving mare, this her third success on the bounce, but she still left all her previous form well behind to defy the favourite inside the final furlong. Fallon took it up on turning in on Yeats, but Kastoria still travelled strongly under Kinane. At one point it appeared that Fallon's strength and Yeats' stamina would prove too much, but the way Kastoria fought past the runner-up suggests she should stay 2 miles.
As for Yeats, for all that the first 2 finished 10 lengths clear of the third, he was clearly below his best, most likely a result of the drop in trip and steady early tempo. The Melbourne Cup is certain to be run to suit him far more, although very fast ground would be somewhat concerning.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Saratoga

On the positive side, Ivan won today.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Lincoln Fields

That's true, but that was just a listed event, and a race he was entitled to win on the book, more easily than transpired to boot. It showed Kieren Fallon at his brilliant best, and highlighted just why we miss him so much here in Britain (and will do in the Breeders' Cup). Ivan was running below the level of form he produced when placed at Royal Ascot and in the Secretariat last time and, for me, is one to take on when raised back in class.

I'll post my views on the National Stakes once I've seen it a couple more times tomorrow, but need my bed now!

Harry.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwjb
That's true, but that was just a listed event, and a race he was entitled to win on the book, more easily than transpired to boot. It showed Kieren Fallon at his brilliant best, and highlighted just why we miss him so much here in Britain (and will do in the Breeders' Cup). Ivan was running below the level of form he produced when placed at Royal Ascot and in the Secretariat last time and, for me, is one to take on when raised back in class.

I'll post my views on the National Stakes once I've seen it a couple more times tomorrow, but need my bed now!

Harry.
Fallon is always at his brilliant best!

G'night, Harry.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Lincoln Fields

Whilst the National Stakes dented the reputation of seemingly Aidan O'Brien's top juvenile, it catapaulted to prominence Jim Bolger's Teofilo, now unbeaten in four starts, and favourite for both the 2,000 Guineas and Derby next season. The son of Galileo simply had too much speed for Holy Roman Emperor, his 1.25 length success proving that this is no mere middle distance prospect for next year. The Triple Crown has already, and very optomistically, been mooted as his ultimate aim. Before that, he is likely to be seen in the Dewhurst at HQ next time.
It is difficult to excuse Holy Roman Emperor and, in turn finishing nicely clear of the third, it is almost certainly the case that he was simply beaten by the bestter horse.

2,000 Guineas '07 best prices (not inc Betfair):
6/1 Teofilo
10/1 Holy Roman Emperor
16/1 Strategic Prince
20/1 Duke of Marmalade
20/1 Dutch Art
20/1 Visionario
25/1 Chinese Whisper
25/1 Eagle Mountain
25/1 Hellvelyn
33/1 Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 AM