Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Saratoga

Default Shirocco, Huricane Run possible for the Prix Foy

Just up on RP.....

Hurricane and Shirocco on course for early duel in Prix Foy

by Lee Mottershead

HURRICANE RUN and Shirocco, the stablemates vying for Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe favouritism, could be on course for an early duel over the Arc's course and distance after Andre Fabre revealed yesterday he is happy to run both in next month's Prix Foy.

While 2005 Arc hero Hurricane Run, most recently successful in the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes, was confirmed on course for the Group 3 Prix Foy, Shirocco could instead head to Germany for the Grosser Preis von Baden a week today.

However, Fabre yesterday made clear his reservations about running the German-owned Shirocco - who finished fourth in last year's Arc - in the Baden-Baden Group 1 contest, for which the next acceptance stage is tomorrow.

Conversely, France's perennial champion trainer made clear he would have no reservations about letting his two stars go head to head for a second time on September 10.

Fabre said: "Hurricane Run is in very good shape and will run in the Foy but it has not been decided yet if Shirocco runs at Baden-Baden or not. I am waiting on the forfeits and the ground, and I need to speak with the owner Baron von Ullmann. "The German race is very tempting, but I don't want him to have a hard race, and the German horses could be pretty good. If he doesn't run in Germany, he will run in the Foy too.

"Hurricane Run and Shirocco have already run together before, and they will run together in the Arc, so I don't mind. The Foy is only a prep race, and they might even be beaten by a third horse!"

The likelihood of Christophe Soumillon being free to partner Shirocco for the rest of the season increased yesterday when Georges Rimaud, spokesman for the rider's employer the Aga Khan, revealed that the owner's Prix du Jockey-Club winner Darsi will not run again this season. The Aga's Derby fifth Visindar is also sidelined until 2007.

Since succumbing to Hurricane Run last October, Shirocco has landed his next three starts, following his triumph in the Breeders' Cup Turf with decisive successes this year in the Jockey Club Stakes and Coronation Cup.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:04 AM
Saratoga

From Sky Sports...

FABRE PAIR SET TO CLASH IN FOY
Friday 1st September 2006
(no author listed)

Coronation Cup winner Shirocco is on target for a rematch with Hurricane Run at Longchamp on September 10 as the pair gear up for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.
Shirocco, who finished third behind his fellow Andre Fabre-trained stablemate in the Arc last year, went on to win the Breeders' Cup Turf and is the chief pretender to Hurricane Run's mantle as champion of Europe.

However, Paul Harley, racing manager to Shirocco's owner Baron von Ullmann, is not concerned that the pair are set to clash in the Prix Foy on Sunday week.

"We're a seperate team, we make our own plans and if Hurricane Run runs we're happy enough," he told The Sportsman.

"We haven't really thought about him - obviously with Shirocco the plan was to have a prep race for the Arc... and we haven't considered the opposition."

Christophe Soumillon has been booked to partner the five-year-old while Kieren Fallon, who was replaced by Soumillon on Hurricane Run in the King George in July, will be back on board the Coolmore-owned colt.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Saratoga

Hurricane Run might swerve this one for the Irish Champion Stakes.....
Old 09-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Saratoga

No final Hurricane Run decision yet, but in the meantime.....

Watch out, boys. She's fearless.....

From Racing post.....

Pride could take on big two in the Prix Foy

by Desmond Stoneham

SHOULD Hurricane Run stay in France this weekend instead of travelling to Ireland he may not only have to face brilliant stablemate Shirocco but also Pride, the last horse to beat him.

The three could meet in the Prix Foy at Longchamp on Sunday, although Pride has the option of the Prix Vermeille, one of the other two trials for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe staged that afternoon.

The Alain de Royer-Dupre-trained six-year-old, a 12-1 chance for the Arc with William Hill and Totesport, caused a shock when nailing Hurricane Run close home in the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud in June on her last racecourse appearance.

Her trainer worked both Princess Zahra Aga Khan's Prix d'Astarte winner Mandesha and Pride in Chantilly on Tuesday morning, and both horses looked in excellent condition when going through their paces on "Les Aigles". Afterwards Royer-Dupre said: "Nothing is certain for the moment but Mandesha could run in the Prix Vermeille. On the other hand we could miss the race and go directly for the Prix de l'Opera.
"It is not impossible that Imight take the option of the Prix Foy for Pride and not run her in the Vermeille as her target is the Arc and Group 1 prep races are always very tough. I will be speaking with the mare's connections."

Andre Fabre also put Shirocco through his paces onTuesday together with Salutino, who runs in the same ownership of the Ulmann family.

Their racing manager Paul Harley said: "Mr Fabre is very pleased with Shirocco who runs in the Prix Foy. Salutino is being prepared for the Prix du Cadran with a runbefore in the Prix Gladiateur on Sunday."
Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Saratoga

From Racing Post..... very nice field shaping up.

Divine Story supplemented for Prix Foy
by Desmond Stoneham

A PRIX FOY featuring two of the world’s best horses was enhanced by a filly with one win in 15 starts after Rupert Pritchard-Gordon on Thursday supplemented Divine Story for Sunday’s Arc trial.

Hurricane Run, stablemate Shirocco and Pride, the last horse to beat Hurricane Run, will be joined by pacemaker Near Honor and Divine Story in a field of five.

The cost of the supplementary was €7,800 and if Divine Story took fourth place she would pick up €9,100 plus a further 58 per cent of the prize-money gained because she is a French-bred. If all goes according to plan there will be a gross profit of €5,824 for her connections.

Pritchard-Gordon said on Thursday: “When she is eventually sold, it will look good in a catalogue to have black type and to see that she was placed in a Group 2.

“Divine Story has already been placed at Listed level and the field could even be smaller as you can never tell what may happen in the 72 hours before a race.”

A field of 14 was declared for the Group 1 Prix Vermeille, including Ouija Board, who has been left in as a precaution by trainer Ed Dunlop. Dunlop’s father John saddles Time On with Richard Hughes in the saddle while Short Skirt is expected to be ridden by Kieren Fallon for Sir Michael Stoute although Aidan O’Brien has declared Fermion.

There were nine colts declared for the Prix Niel including Dragon Dancer (Darryll Holland), Papal Bull (Fallon) and Youmzain (Hughes) for Britain. Aidan O’Brien is also having a look at the race for Puerto Rico, who looks more likely to tackle the St Leger.

Andre Fabre’s main hope will be Khalid Abdullah’s Rail Link and the same colours of Khalid Abdullah will also be carried by General Knowledge. The stable will also be represented by Sheikh Mohammedís Bremen.

The ground on Thursday at Longchamp was 3.1 or goodand the weather forecast was set fair until the weekend.

Clerk of the course Christian Delporte will water his track early this morning and he hopes to post between 3.1 and 3.2 (good) as the official going on Sunday morning.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Saratoga

Sunday September 10 2006
Longchamp 14:20

Prix Foy Gray D'albion Barriere (group 2 Stakes)
£130000.00 added, 4yo plus, 1m 4f, Class 1, £74100.00 penalty
5 runners
Going: N/A

No. Form Horse Age Wt Trainer Jockey OR NagMe Bet
1 (2) 111-121 Hurricane Run (IRE) 43 4 9-2 A Fabre K Fallon
2 (5) 840-476 Near Honor (GER) 77 8 9-2 A Fabre M Sautjeau
3 (4) 1/341-11 Shirocco (GER) 100 5 9-2 A Fabre C Soumillon
4 (3) 770-059 Divine Story (FR) 14 5 8-13 R Pritchard-Gordon D Bonilla
5 (1) 172-411 Pride (FR) 77 6 8-13 A Royer Dupre De C P Lemaire 89

Betting Forecast: Evs Shirocco (GER), 5/4 Hurricane Run (IRE), 5/4 Near Honor (GER), 7/1 Pride (FR), 50/1 Divine Story (FR)

Good luck, Pride.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Saratoga

SOUMILLON DOUBLES UP AT LONGCHAMP
By PA Sport Staff
(Sporting Life)

Andre Fabre's Shirocco maintained his unbeaten record for the season with a narrow victory over stablemate Hurricane Run in the Prix Foy at Longchamp.

With Fabre saddling three of the five runners, the race was run at a sedate pace for the first mile before Christophe Soumillon took up the running on last year's Breeders' Cup Turf hero from the pacemaker Near Honor.

Kieren Fallon loomed up on Hurricane Run with a furlong to run, but Shirocco pulled out more for Soumillon and held off the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe hero for his third win of the season.

The six-year-old mare Pride was not beaten far in third, with all the principals being ridden conservatively with the Arc back in Paris on October 1 in mind.

Hurricane Run was beaten a neck, with Pride the same distance back in third. Despite the defeat, Fallon refused to be downbeat and believes it may well be a different result come Arc day.

"I would have been happy if we'd won, but I knew he would struggle as he doesn't like small fields," he said.

"But he showed in the King George that when it comes to big races he raises his game."

Fabre said of the runner-up: "He was a bit fitter than last year as he had run in the summer. However, the ground will be different in three weeks and that could change things.

"For Shirocco, the Breeders' Cup Classic is a strong possibility."

Baron Von Ullmann, owner of the winner, said: "The plan always was the race on October 1 (Arc), we hatched it after the Breeders' Cup Turf, but you need good health and luck to fulfil a dream.

"He will retire at the end of the season and Soumillon will ride him in the Arc and the Breeders' Cup."

http://www.france-galop.com/photos/10090604.jpg

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 09-10-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat

"He will retire at the end of the season and Soumillon will ride him in the Arc and the Breeders' Cup."

http://www.france-galop.com/photos/10090604.jpg
maybe not.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...1/shhots11.xml