Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Saratoga

Default George Washington update - good news

A little good news, from Sporting Life.....

WASHINGTON ON THE MEND

George Washington has done his first piece of work since his setback in May.

The Stan James 2000 Guineas winner was reported by Aidan O'Brien to be "progressing well" having injured muscles in his pelvic area 48 hours after finishing second to Araafa in the Irish equivalent on May 27.

"George has been cantering away for the last few weeks and he has done his first piece of work since going back into training," O'Brien told the Racing Post.

"He is progressing well but it is still too soon to be talking about when he might be back on the track.

"He was held up for a long time and we are not going to rush him."

The Danehill colt holds entries in the Sussex Stakes (August 2), the Celebration Mile (August 27) and the Baileys Irish Champion Stakes (September 9).
Old 07-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Jerome Park

Thanks, that's great. Too good a horse to be retired THIS early.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Saratoga

The rumor is he'll run a few times and be retired at the end of the year.....

Who knows. It's just nice to see some positive news, especially with one so brilliant.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 AM
boldruler

Great news. I would love to see him win the Sussex like the Rock, but I bet the earliest we see him will be at Goodwood on the 27th.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Saratoga

From Racing Post.....

George "coming along nicely" reports O'Brien
by Brian Fleming

GEORGE WASHINGTON is "comingalong nicely" according to trainer Aidan O'Brien but future plans are still undecided for the sidelined Stan James 2,000 Guineas winner.

The three-time Group 1 winner subsequently suffered defeat at the hands of Araafa in the Irish equivalent run on atrocious ground in May and it was later discovered he had a hip muscle injury which may have also contributed to his second defeat in seven starts.

"Nothing has been decided yet but he's not that far off starting back," said O'Brien. "He's coming alongnicely but we must get him away cantering to a track somewhere and if he gets on OK with that we'll then see where we go from there." Fire And Rain, successful in his only start in a Newmarket seven-furlong maiden last September, is another making progress according to the Ballydoyle trainer.

"He had a few little setbacks since running at Newmarket last year but nothing major," explained O'Brien. "He's coming along but has a bit to go still but all going well he should be back on the tracksoon."
Old 08-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Saratoga

From Sporting Life.....

WASHINGTON ON THE COMEBACK TRAIL
By Robert Pratt, PA Sport

George Washington could return to action later this month in the totesport Celebration Mile at Goodwood - despite the fact Kieren Fallon would not be available to ride.

The talented Danehill colt can prove a handful on the racecourse and has been ridden in all his seven starts by Fallon, who is currently banned from riding in Britain.

The brilliant winner of the Stan James 2000 Guineas at Newmarket in May was surprisingly beaten by Araafa on heavy ground in the Irish version three weeks later.

It was later discovered he had a hip-muscle injury, which may have contributed to his defeat.

George Washington is well on the road to recovery and O'Brien is considering running the colt in either the Desmond Stakes at Leopardstown on August 20 or the Celebration Mile seven days later.

Speaking at Goodwood, O'Brien confirmed: "He'll either come here for the Celebration Mile or go to Leopardstown.

"I think here is a little bit more favoured because he just might need the extra time."
Old 08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
From Sporting Life.....

WASHINGTON ON THE COMEBACK TRAIL
By Robert Pratt, PA Sport

George Washington could return to action later this month in the totesport Celebration Mile at Goodwood - despite the fact Kieren Fallon would not be available to ride.

The talented Danehill colt can prove a handful on the racecourse and has been ridden in all his seven starts by Fallon, who is currently banned from riding in Britain.

The brilliant winner of the Stan James 2000 Guineas at Newmarket in May was surprisingly beaten by Araafa on heavy ground in the Irish version three weeks later.

It was later discovered he had a hip-muscle injury, which may have contributed to his defeat.

George Washington is well on the road to recovery and O'Brien is considering running the colt in either the Desmond Stakes at Leopardstown on August 20 or the Celebration Mile seven days later.

Speaking at Goodwood, O'Brien confirmed: "He'll either come here for the Celebration Mile or go to Leopardstown.

"I think here is a little bit more favoured because he just might need the extra time."
Celebration Mile on the 27th at Goodward makes sense. Gets the older horses too. I see GW winning the BC Mile.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Celebration Mile on the 27th at Goodward makes sense. Gets the older horses too. I see GW winning the BC Mile.
that would be quite a coup for Lael and put them up there for breeder of the year I would think...
Old 08-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Saratoga

Excerpt, from Racing Post...

Dylan adds star quality to International line-up
by Tony O'Hehir

.....Meanwhile, a return to action for George Washington is likely this month with O'Brien on Friday indicating that the choice of races for the Stan James 2,000 Guineas winner involves the Tote Celebration Mile at Goodwood or the Desmond Stakes at Leopardstown a week on Sunday. O'Brien said: "He would have to be supplemented to the Leopardstown race on Tuesday and we are leaning towards the Goodwood race at this stage, although nothing definite has been decided.

"George is in good form and it has been a case of so far so good with him since he went back into training following his setback."

With the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes a likely target for the colt and Fallon banned from riding in the UK, running George Washington at Goodwood would provide an opportunity for a replacement jockey to ride him in advance of the Ascot race.

George Washington has not run since muscle injuries were diagnosed after he had been beaten by Araafa on heavy ground in the Boylesports Irish 2,000 Guineas in May.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Saratoga

From Sporting Life.....

D-DAY FOR GEORGE
By Martin Kelly, PA Sport

George Washington faces a crucial workout tomorrow to determine if his return to action will be at Leopardstown next weekend or Goodwood the following Sunday.

The talismanic colt, who annihilated the opposition in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, has been off the track since pulling a hip muscle when finishing second to Araafa in the Irish equivalent over two months ago.

Trainer Aidan O'Brien has been happy with his progress since a recent racecourse gallop at Naas and is now considering the Desmond Stakes on the 20th or the Celebration Mile on the 27th of this month.

He said: "He will work again in the morning, after which we will have to make our minds up where to go as he will need to be entered for next weekend.

"If he does go to England for the Celebration Mile he will then go to the QEII at Ascot the following month, which is what I am leaning towards. The other option is the Desmond and then the Prix du Moulin, but those races might come too soon and there is only a few weeks between them."

A dual Group One-winning juvenile, George Washington has struck up a fruitful partnership with Kieren Fallon, but with the 41-year-old currently banned from racing in Britain, O'Brien will need a new pilot for the Celebration Mile.

He added: "If he was to run in England whoever rides him will need to ride him in a trial as he needs some knowing.

"Kieren did a lot of work with George over the winter so it will be a new learning process for whoever takes over."
Old 08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Saratoga

Update from Sporting life.....

GEORGE TO SKIP LEOPARDSTOWN
By Martin Kelly, PA Sport

Aidan O'Brien has ruled George Washington out of a return to action at Leopardstown this weekend, but a trip to Goodwood the following week remains a possibility.

The Ballydoyle handler had been considering the Desmond Stakes or the Celebration Mile as a starting point for his Stan James 2000 Guineas hero, who has been sidelined since pulling a hip muscle when finishing second to Araafa in the Irish equivalent over two months ago.

The son of Danehill was put through his paces earlier today and O'Brien said this evening: "Everything went fine this morning, but I don't think he is going to be supplemented for the Desmond Stakes as he needs more time.

"The Celebration Mile would be a possible, but we will have to see how he comes along.

"The important thing is to try and get him started back and try and find a race for him."
Old 08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Saratoga

From Racing Post.....

George on course for Goodwood highlight
by RP staff

GEORGE WASHINGTON has come through his latest workout with all guns blazing and will travel to Goodwood on Sunday for the Totesport Celebration Mile, where he will be ridden by Mick Kinane.

The Stan James 2000 Guineas hero has been off the track since pulling a muscle in his hip in the Irish equivalent but is ready to return to the track ahead of a crack at next month's Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot.

"The plan is run as he worked this morning and it all went very well," said trainer Aidan O'Brien.

"We just want to get him back on the track and hopefully Mick will be coming over to ride him." O'Brien blamed a lack of match practice and the soft ground at York for the reverse of Dylan Thomas in the Juddmonte International on Tuesday.

"I gave him a break after the Irish Derby and he ran very fresh yesterday," O'Brien said.

"He is a horse with a huge cruising speed but he just didn't settle as they went so slow. He is a very good moving horse and he needs to be bouncing off the ground."
Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Saratoga

Sunday August 27 2006
Goodwood 15:50

Totesport Celebration Mile (group 2)
£100000.00 added, 3yo plus, 1m, Class 1, £56780.00 penalty
6 runners
Going: Good

No. Form Horse Age Wt Trainer Jockey

1 (3) 310-163 Rob Roy (USA) 25 4 9-4 Sir Michael Stoute R L Moore
2 (5) 1112-13 Caradak (IRE) 8 5 9-1 Saeed bin Suroor L Dettori
3 (2) 1111-12 George Washington (IRE) 92 3 9-1 A P O'Brien M J Kinane
4 (1) 12-4162 Soviet Song (IRE) 25 6 9-1 J R Fanshawe J P Spencer
5 (4) 32-1040 Killybegs (IRE) 10 3 8-9 B W Hills M Hills
6 (6) 02-10 River Tiber 92 3 8-9 A P O'Brien D R McCabe
Old 08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Santa Anita

hes 4/6 which is very short considering Soviet Song is in there and hes just coming back from injury.. Hopefully, he'll blow them away!

#Grand
Old 08-27-2006, 10:50 AM
six perfections

He was a well beated 3rd.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Saratoga

I'm actually more surprised about Soviet Song.

Aaaah well.....

Sunday August 27 2006
Goodwood 15:50 - Result
Totesport Celebration Mile (group 2)
£100000 added, 3yo plus, 1m, Class 1, £56780 penalty, 6 ran
Going: Good Winning Time: 1m 37.26s

Pos. Dr. Dist. Horse Wt Jockey Trainer Age SP
1 5 Caradak (IRE) 9-1 L Dettori Saeed bin Suroor 5 6/1
tracked leader, 10 lengths adrift 5f out, ridden to challenge over 1f out, led 1f out, hard driven inside final furlong, held on close home touched 15/2
2 4 s.h Killybegs (IRE) 8-9 M Hills B W Hills 3 50/1
tracked leaders, ridden to challenge over 1f out, pressed winner and every chance inside final furlong, hard ridden and just held close home
3 2 1¼ George Washington (IRE) 9-1 M J Kinane A P O'Brien 3 5/6 f
started very slowly, took keen hold in rear, ridden over 2f out and plenty to do, carried head high, stayed on final furlong, not reached leaders opened 4/5 touched 8/11 £1000-£1200 (x5) £8000-£10000 £6000-£7500 £2000-£2500 (x2) £800-£1000 (x5) £400-£550
4 6 1½ River Tiber 8-9 D R McCabe A P O'Brien 3 100/1
led, 10 lengths clear 5f out, ridden over 2f out, weakening when headed 1f out, kept on well for 4th place
5 1 hd Soviet Song (IRE) 9-1 J P Spencer J R Fanshawe 6 3/1
held up 5th, ridden over 2f out, no headway over 1f out, stayed on same pace touched 10/3 £6660-£2000 £1666-£500 Each Way £1000-£300
6 3 nk Rob Roy (USA) 9-4 R L Moore Sir Michael Stoute 4 7/1
held up 4th, ridden and outpaced from 2f out touched 8/1

Tote Win: £6.50 Tote Place: £2.80,£7.70
Straight Forecast: £156.86 Exacta: £124.70
Old 08-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Saratoga

Okay he didn't win but hey..... HE BEHAVED!

From RP.....

George was on his best behaviour pre-race

by Paul Binfield

GEORGE WASHINGTON (pic, middle) may not have won the Celebration Mile, but the colt with the flighty temperament gained an ‘A-’ from his trainer for the way that he behaved back in the public eye at Goodwood.

When he won the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket in May, the star with the strop refused to walk down the walkway into the winner's enclosure, stopping at the top, before being cajoled into the pre-parade ring.

He also misbehaved before finishing second in the Irish equivalent at the Curragh, where he would not leave the parade ring, before drastic action was taken and he was unceremoniously marched out backwards.

Connections were taking no risks on Sunday and as well as being accompanied by pacemaker River Tiber for much of the preliminaries, a Group 3 winner was brought over to ensure that 'George' entered the parade ring and went on to the course.

The most anxious moment appeared to be when he was saddled on the edges of the pre-parade ring under a tree by O'Brien, with the assistance of four other staff including his groomand the travelling head groom, and the two other horses close by. The sometimes tetchy Danehill colt was on his toes, flicking his tail, and kicked out with his rear left leg, almost giving the handler, who clearly has a wonderful way with thoroughbred racehorses, a memory of Goodwood that he would not care for.
George's tail was now swinging up and down, and just before he went into the parade ring, he was clearly showing signs of arousal.

However, he entered the parade ring and acted like the perfect gentleman thereafter.

The walkway from the ring on to the actual racecourse was a potential minefield, but George followed River Tiber down like a true professional, and then when the pair were met by their stable companion on the course, O'Brien did not need him and waved him away.

The pair then had what looked like a parade in front of the packed stands, as O'Brien and staff walked their two runners past and then George was unleashed, trotting off quite well, with the trainer showing his athletic attributes, running alongside his charge.

O’Brien later said that George had “behaved great, and all the signs were positive”.

Then the stalls opened.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:30 AM
six perfections

He's sure back in form.