Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Steve Byk

Default 8/8 (SAR): A. G. Vanderbilt H. (G1), Honorable Miss H. (G2)

8th (4:55) Honorable Miss H. (G2)

6 Furlongs | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 One Smokin' Lady Napravnik A R 115 L
2 Warbling Leparoux J R 119 L
3 Hour Glass Cohen D 118 L
4 Secret Gypsy Theriot H J II 117 L
5 Pretty Prolific Prado E S 118 L

9th (5:30) Alfred G. Vanderbilt H. (G1)

6 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $250,000

1 Gayego Garcia Alan 120 L
2 Mambo Meister Cruz M R 117 L
3 Temecula Creek Velasquez C 113 L
4 Big Drama Coa E M 120 L
5 Majesticperfection Bridgmohan S X 116 L
6 Bribon (FR) Gomez G K 120 L
7 Smokey Fire Castellano J J 116 L
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Woodbine

Default Smokey Fire

1st time dirt.

And for his nice season opener, management was so confident that something like 5 of his 6 works were on the dirt training track, instead of the Woodbine poly. Some nice works too.

I'll take a big price here.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Idlewild Airport

Top to bottom I think the Vandy is the best race so far of the meet.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Top to bottom I think the Vandy is the best race so far of the meet.
It's really no contest.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
It's really no contest.
Thank you. I can't wait to see it. Much more pumped than any other race. I don't need to bet races like this. Just want to see that early gas....I loved watching the days of Caller One.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Idlewild Airport

WHo's the post time fave?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
WHo's the post time fave?
Good question, it's an incredibly contentious race. I think Big Drama is going to get a ton of money and I'm willing to let him beat me as I'm unsure if he's the same horse outside of South Florida. Fawkes is also 1 of his last 18 in NY.

The huge Beyer figure for Majesticperfection is going to earn him plenty of support and Bribon certainly deserves to be heavily backed.

If I had to guess I'd say the three of them are between 2-1 and 3-1. I think Eric Donovan did a very good job with the morning line.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Good question, it's an incredibly contentious race. I think Big Drama is going to get a ton of money and I'm willing to let him beat me as I'm unsure if he's the same horse outside of South Florida. Fawkes is also 1 of his last 18 in NY.

The huge Beyer figure for Majesticperfection is going to earn him plenty of support and Bribon certainly deserves to be heavily backed.

If I had to guess I'd say the three of them are between 2-1 and 3-1. I think Eric Donovan did a very good job with the morning line.
You ready? I think Gayego will go favored.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I can't wait to see it. Much more pumped than any other race. I don't need to bet races like this. Just want to see that early gas....I loved watching the days of Caller One.
I don't think there will be much early gas, and that's why I think Majesticperfection cruises. The only two horses with real six-furlong speed are him and Big Drama, and I think Coa knows if he knocks heads with Bridgmohan early, he'll be toast. His only chance is to sit a length off and try to outfinish him. I don't think it'll happen.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
You ready? I think Gayego will go favored.
I disagree BUT considering how much money the public gave that complete atrocity they brought off the bench on Thursday in the 8th race, nothing would surprise me. I thought Gayego's race here last year was very nice but he'll definitely have to run better than he did that day and in his most recent start to get the job done.

Obviously the way you bet this race depends completely on what you're doing with Majesticperfection. Whether I wager or not I hope he runs big because the sprint division needs a star.

NT
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
I don't think there will be much early gas, and that's why I think Majesticperfection cruises. The only two horses with real six-furlong speed are him and Big Drama, and I think Coa knows if he knocks heads with Bridgmohan early, he'll be toast. His only chance is to sit a length off and try to outfinish him. I don't think it'll happen.
I would love to make a head to head wager with you but I don't know you for nothin.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
I don't see this going 1-2 or 2-1 around the track, for a number of reasons:

1) the track was playing fair today and I'm assuming it'll be fair tomorrow

2) Coa is not that patient

3) Majesticperfection has yet to show he can beat a quality field

4) Smokey Fire chased and beat better/faster horses than these up at WO . Don't know if he handles dirt, of course.

I'm intrigued by Mambo Meister. He put in an against the grain run last out in his 1st sprint in who knows how long. He should only be sharper sprinting after that effort and maybe won't need a pace collapse (like Bribon does).
Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I would love to make a head to head wager with you but I don't know you for nothin.
Yeah ask about me, I'm a crook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man View Post
I don't see this going 1-2 or 2-1 around the track, for a number of reasons:

1) the track was playing fair today and I'm assuming it'll be fair tomorrow

2) Coa is not that patient

3) Majesticperfection has yet to show he can beat a quality field

4) Smokey Fire chased and beat better/faster horses than these up at WO . Don't know if he handles dirt, of course.

I'm intrigued by Mambo Meister. He put in an against the grain run last out in his 1st sprint in who knows how long. He should only be sharper sprinting after that effort and maybe won't need a pace collapse (like Bribon does).
1) The track can play as fair as can be, if the fractions are soft, the pacesetters will rule.

2) Coa may not be patient, but he's not dumb. He knows that if he sends Big Drama, he'll get dueled into the ground. He prefers second money over finishing last.

3) This is true obviously, but he's fast early and if he gets any kind of breather, he'll be tough to catch regardless of what he's previously done.

4) Smokey Fire doesn't have the early lick that either Majesticperfection or Big Drama do. He may indeed be a very nice horse, and he scares me, but he'll have to win from off the pace.

If Mambo Meister ever wins a Grade I at six furlongs, I'll eat my NYRA Rewards card. Bribon doesn't need a pace collapse to win either, in fact, that's one of his strengths. What race were you watching in the True North? It hardly collapsed for him. The final furlong was run in under :12 (almost unheard of in graded sprints) and the horses who ran 1-2-3-4 early ran 3-4-2-5 behind Bribon, who closed from last. It was a very impressive run.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
If Mambo Meister ever wins a Grade I at six furlongs, I'll eat my NYRA Rewards card. Bribon doesn't need a pace collapse to win either, in fact, that's one of his strengths. What race were you watching in the True North? It hardly collapsed for him. The final furlong was run in under :12 (almost unheard of in graded sprints) and the horses who ran 1-2-3-4 early ran 3-4-2-5 behind Bribon, who closed from last. It was a very impressive run.
This was a layered run that set up for the last mover, who happened to be Bribon. Unless you expected Elusive Warning, More Than A Reason, Fantasy Free or Gato To Win to be coming late. You know, he's made some nice runs but I fail to find a race of his where he gained on a field that was hanging around till the end --- which is what MM did last out.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
I agree. I like the 5 is going to get loose and be gone.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Havre de Grace

This is certainly a tougher race than he's ever run in but the field Majesticperfection absolutely humbled in Iowa was far from soft. Atta Boy Roy was considered one of the best sprinters in the country and Cash Refund figured to be tough as well. The defending champion of that race was in the field along with the rest of the local horses.

As far as Smokey Fire, he ran down two very nice horses on their preferred surface last time out but it would certainly seem as if the race unfolded nicely for him. Sid Attard is 19% with a $2.51 ROI with horses coming off long layoffs and running on the Polytrack, so I wonder if he was set up to run a big race that day.

NT
Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i agree with ateam on his pick of majesticperfections. glad i'll be home to see today's races, since i wasn't able to see them yesterday. had a great day, but wish i could have seen blame winning yesterday.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Fairgrounds

I don't see Majesticperfection getting loose. Big Drama was just as fast early his last two 6F races. I think Coa has to go being drawn inside.

Mambo Meister was very impressive last race. He was the only one running at the end. If he gets a little better start and can sit a little closer, I think he has a shot at a price.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerv View Post

Mambo Meister was very impressive last race. He was the only one running at the end. If he gets a little better start and can sit a little closer, I think he has a shot at a price.
As Serling pointed out on the pre-race show, MM got a slow start last out, having to steady a few strides out, then was forced to run a bit early, into that fast pace, to catch up. If you watch the replay, you'll notice that he was also climbing a bit early on, as well. I think the bad start, and having to be used early to 'catch up' (and having to work his way through horses in the stretch) cost him the race. Now, Serling thinks that last time was the time to have him as he was cutting back. I disagree. I feel he'll be much sharper pacewise 2nd time sprinting. Whatever the case, I need >10:1 to bet him.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man View Post
As Serling pointed out on the pre-race show, MM got a slow start last out, having to steady a few strides out, then was forced to run a bit early, into that fast pace, to catch up. If you watch the replay, you'll notice that he was also climbing a bit early on, as well. I think the bad start, and having to be used early to 'catch up' (and having to work his way through horses in the stretch) cost him the race. Now, Serling thinks that last time was the time to have him as he was cutting back. I disagree. I feel he'll be much sharper pacewise 2nd time sprinting. Whatever the case, I need >10:1 to bet him.
If the track continues to play fairly, then he should have a decent chance and I imagine he will be >10-1. Majesticperfection may end up being too good but I will try and take a shot against him.