Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2024, 07:15 PM
Longchamps

Superfecta payouts are crazy in derby but impossible without big tickets in my opinion. I love the trifecta bet in this race. Payouts are great and if you can key a few horses in top three you can make some good cash. Good luck
Old 05-02-2024, 05:15 AM
Steve Byk

Johnny D and his partner Will Schwartz use a 7-horse Super box in Derby every year and have hit many times.. $840, so $420 each.

You can also use 7 horses in a Super key for half as much (1x6x5x4, 6x1x5x4, 6x5x1x4, 6x5x4x1).. $120 for each leg with your key horse..
Old 05-02-2024, 06:03 AM
Saratoga

I'm 0-20

Damar Hamlin
Old 05-02-2024, 11:18 AM
Churchill Downs

I strongly prefer the Pick 5 on these days. Superfectas in 10 horse fields are very difficult to hit let alone a 20 horse field. IMO if you can't afford the "ALL" button in the 4th spot then playing this wager is a total crapshoot. They all seem eligible to run 4th given the appropriate scenario. However, they all cannot win, no matter the scenario. I guess I just feel as though I have more control over picking winners throughout a sequence, not just stabbing at a 4th place finisher...

Ed
Old 05-02-2024, 11:23 AM
Churchill Downs

The Pick 5 payouts on these days can be fantastic even with solid singles. Honor Marie may end up 12-1, but will only be on about 2-4% of pick 5 plays. Getting to that race intact is another story all together but the idea is to pick your derby horse and get alive to him. Turn 12-1 into 120-1 and hope to be correct.

Best of luck no matter how you choose to play.

Ed
Old 05-03-2024, 07:44 PM
Oriental Park

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I started really trying to put together a superfecta wager for around $200 and I found it really difficult…so I’m back on the Pick 5 and I think passing on the super. I may put together a couple trifecta wagers, which should pay decent enough.

I like the idea of boxing 7 horses (or a super keybox) but didn’t want to put $420-840 into a bet. Maybe next year if I build up my bankroll going into the Derby but I’ve barely bet this year.

Anyway, good luck all. I can’t move off Just A Touch, though his 3-race resume that includes only one race over 1 mile is concerning to me. Going to be keying him in a lot of bets.