Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Saratoga

Default Say it aint so, Damien

Man I would have bet my life that these allegations were untrue.

Such a great great jockey... just very sad.

http://formguide.cyberhorse.com.au/2...Violation.html
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Saratoga

Are you kidding? They would risk their careers, they'd be so reckless?

Are you surprised cause maybe I'm naive but I'm shocked...
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 AM
The Curragh

It's rife in this industry unfortunately and it happens everywhere, but some are smarter than others.

Oliver, albeit a very good jockey is far from 'innocent' and has been for sometime, he just got greedy and was caught. How they let him ride over the Spring carnival AFTER admitting to it is beyond me.

The Australian stewards have made fools out of themselves recently in my opinion.

They let Oliver ride after admitting he's committed an illegal act in the sport, but ban Nikolic for two years after nothing has been proven? What happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'?

Oliver should be stripped of his earnings over the carnival - why should a cheat prosper?

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Saratoga

I think Danny is an idiot but they have much bigger problems to worry about so he was a distraction. HIs comments weren't so threatening.

It is farce.

Disagree about Oliver being stripped of his earnings... that's the mans living.

I have such mixed feelings about all of it.

Disappointed though. I truly thought he was one of the good guys who would never ever ever...
Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
I think Danny is an idiot but they have much bigger problems to worry about so he was a distraction. HIs comments weren't so threatening.

It is farce.

Disagree about Oliver being stripped of his earnings... that's the mans living.

I have such mixed feelings about all of it.

Disappointed though. I truly thought he was one of the good guys who would never ever ever...
Yes, it is his living but he should have thought of that before having $10,000 on a horse. He's trying to say that's been the only time he did it...... I'm sorry, but if you're willing to have $10,000 on a horse (which isn't the one you're riding) it's not the first or last time you've done it!

Today he was given a total of ten months? WTF..... he's a cheat, a fraud, he's brought the Australian industry into disrepute, he should have been given a life ban. A joke of a decision.

If this had have been a 'nobody' doing the exact same thing, he or she would have been gone for life. No doubt.

So Nikolic has been banned for two years, for something which hasn't been proven? Pathetic.

All this says is that any jockey can have $10,000 on any horse they want and get an eight month ban. So what is stopping them all doing it. If I was a lower ranked jockey and knew I could make upwards of $40,000 by placing a bet which I could make that result happen and only be banned for eight months, I wouldn't think twice!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Saratoga

His wife left him, she took the 3 kids, he was falling into a deep depression, facing huge legal bills, drinking again...

No one was going to beat Miss Octopussy that day. She towered over the field (not that it's an excuse - just sayin').

Now he loses out on around $400,000. in potential income, can't associate with anyone in the sport, can't ride till Sept. 13th of next year...

He's been a jockey for over 20 years...

I can't think of his name without seeing him winning on Media Puzzle (for the one or two who don't know the story it was like a week after his brother died. His brother was a jockey too as was the dad and both died in falls on the track) and raising his eyes and his whip to the heavens...

I'm sorry. You're right, I'm wrong, he should be punished but please don't forget this is a human being we're talking about and sitting around and judging.

He completely broke down twice while he was making his statement to the stewards.

He is an outstanding jockey and I imagine him to be a real decent sort and we all make mistakes, all do things we wish we hadn't.

Back problems, drugs, booze, depression, and now we can throw guilt into the equation...

I feel sorry for him and wish him well no matter how moronic that sounds to anyone.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 11-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I feel sorry for him and wish him well no matter how moronic that sounds to anyone.
It doesn't sound moronic to feel bad for the struggles he has gone through. I think we can all be sympathetic to what he has gone through.

But this is real serious. Without integrity, what do we have in this sport? As a bettor, he has committed the ultimate sin in my book. And while I can sympathize with whatever he is or was going through at the time, there is just no excuse for betting another horse in a race you are riding. Reading that he was second choice in said race is even worse.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 PM
The Curragh

This has nothing to do with his personal life, and believe me, he's not the only one to have similar problems. Many other jockeys, much less lucky than him have gone through similar patterns. It is no excuse!

She wasn't head and shoulders above the rest of that field. I'd like to see your research there.

He's a fraud, and this clearly isn't the only bet he's had. Already he has 'blown the trumpet' on two people he classed as friends before the hearing, no doubt in an attempt to be treated well by the stewards (seemingly worked).

He was riding a strongly fancied horse in the race, and as was mentioned, that makes this MUCH worse.

He's committed one of the lowest acts in this industry in my opinion. I couldn't give a toss how much income he stands to lose out on - he's done something very wrong and deserves to be punished.

Eight months is not long enough.

And to set the record straight, his wife and kids left him for good reasons.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
It doesn't sound moronic to feel bad for the struggles he has gone through. I think we can all be sympathetic to what he has gone through.

But this is real serious. Without integrity, what do we have in this sport? As a bettor, he has committed the ultimate sin in my book. And while I can sympathize with whatever he is or was going through at the time, there is just no excuse for betting another horse in a race you are riding. Reading that he was second choice in said race is even worse.
I know, Hossy. I thought he was riding the 3rd choice but whatever.... I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance View Post
This has nothing to do with his personal life, and believe me, he's not the only one to have similar problems. Many other jockeys, much less lucky than him have gone through similar patterns. It is no excuse!

She wasn't head and shoulders above the rest of that field. I'd like to see your research there.

He's a fraud, and this clearly isn't the only bet he's had. Already he has 'blown the trumpet' on two people he classed as friends before the hearing, no doubt in an attempt to be treated well by the stewards (seemingly worked).

He was riding a strongly fancied horse in the race, and as was mentioned, that makes this MUCH worse.

He's committed one of the lowest acts in this industry in my opinion. I couldn't give a toss how much income he stands to lose out on - he's done something very wrong and deserves to be punished.

Eight months is not long enough.

And to set the record straight, his wife and kids left him for good reasons.
I don't have research it's just my opinion. She's a name,no one else was. My opinion. I thought that's what we did here...

I would argue this has a lot to do with his personal life. Maybe he snapped. Maybe (and God help me I hate this expression) it was a cry for help. Maybe it's too hard having massive legal fees on top of everything else and being surrounded by what you see as easy money. Maybe the guy just made a ****ing mistake. Maybe everyone else does it and the one time he did he was caught.

I have no idea.

You're right though. Let's crucify him. Let's completely ruin the mans life and livelihood, let's take someone who is so completely and profoundly depressed and pitifully sorry and push him over the edge.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM
The Curragh

Oh please.

For a guy who would have been earning upwards of $500,000 a year, plus sponsorship and other incentives, and his excuse was he had legal fees to pay (which came to around $40,000).

He's cheated the sport and the public who enjoy it.

What he did is his mistake, no one else.

He was depressed and drinking because of mistakes he made. I have no sympathy in those regards.

Maybe find the whole story before making him out to be a good guy.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Saratoga

What should his punishment be?

Where was the outrage over Blake Shinn?

Peter Robl?

Didn't they both place many many bets and get a similar suspension?

Didn't Shinn bet on races he rode in?

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 11-22-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
He should be forced to watch the NY Jets play tonight, over and over again.

That's much worse than a 10 month ban.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 PM
The Curragh

Quote:

Where was the outrage over Blake Shinn?

Peter Robl?

Didn't they both place many many bets and get a similar suspension?

Didn't Shinn bet on races he rode in?
There was outrage over Blake Shinn, but simply not the media attention like there has been with Oliver.

They set a bad precedent with both Shinn and Robl - both of whom shouldn't have been allowed to ride again in my honest opinion, certainly not Blake Shinn.

Can you imagine if they had been caught in the UK, or heaven forbid, Hong Kong - they would all have been taken to prison!

All I'm saying is that Damien has no exucses. Yes, he was depressed, yes, he was drinking, yes he had legal fees to pay but all of this was down to him and because of that I have no sympathy.

The general feeling in the industry here is that he has been let off extremely lightly. So much so, that the case could be brought up again if the powers that be see fit.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

How about offering a slighty lesser punishment? Such as Firing Squad or Lethal Injection? Of course, if you force him to watch that game for 10 minutes or more, he'll be begging for the other 2 punishments
Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

Boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
How about offering a slighty lesser punishment? Such as Firing Squad or Lethal Injection? Of course, if you force him to watch that game for 10 minutes or more, he'll be begging for the other 2 punishments
Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 AM
Saratoga

Banned Oliver On Verge Of Return To Saddle

http://formguide.cyberhorse.com.au/2...To-Saddle.html