Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Keeneland

Default World Series

I know no one cares because of the teams playing, but it's been a hell of a series.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Santa Anita

Cruz should have caught that ball in the 9th inning hit by Freese. It's the last out of the World Series, go ahead and go full speed and crash into the wall. He slowed down going for the ball while still a ways from the fence.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Flemington

Its been great. I thought without certain teams I would not enjoy, but this is good stuff.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Turf Paradise

Best game I have ever seen and I was at the Fisk homerun game in 75.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Best game I have ever seen and I was at the Fisk homerun game in 75.
Great game! Have to hand it to the Cards, they just would not quit!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I know no one cares because of the teams playing, but it's been a hell of a series.
It's been infinitely better than any NFL game played this year. It's gonna be a sad day after today when that crap is the only thing to watch with the NBA still not playing. All the playoff series have been really good...especially the big one. It was so nice to have the World Series rather than the Sunday and Monday night NFL games to watch and those two games define the NFL today...wretched. (being a Browns fan my view of the NFL may be a bit unfairly biased I must admit!)
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Flemington

Haven't really watched it, not because of the teams, more of the starting times (actually finishing times). The games just go too late for me. I'm actually sorry that I didn't stay up for it last night. It seems like it could go down as one of the best series ever, too bad it seems like not a lot of people are watching it. I turned it off after the Cruz HR in the 7th.

Speaking of Cruz, he has to get that ball in the 9th. He absolutely pussed out when he got near the wall. You have to be willing to lay it all out on the line, especially in that spot. I bet you if it was Hamilton, he would have tried running through the wall if necessary, bad groin and all.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Haven't really watched it, not because of the teams, more of the starting times (actually finishing times). The games just go too late for me. I'm actually sorry that I didn't stay up for it last night. It seems like it could go down as one of the best series ever, too bad it seems like not a lot of people are watching it. I turned it off after the Cruz HR in the 7th.

Speaking of Cruz, he has to get that ball in the 9th. He absolutely pussed out when he got near the wall. You have to be willing to lay it all out on the line, especially in that spot. I bet you if it was Hamilton, he would have tried running through the wall if necessary, bad groin and all.
I agree if the same ball is hit to Hamilton, the Rangers would be World Series champions. Probably the best baseball game I have ever seen.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
I agree if the same ball is hit to Hamilton, the Rangers would be World Series champions. Probably the best baseball game I have ever seen.
The sad thing about that play was the Rangers were playing their "prevent doubles" defense and were therefore much deeper than usual in the outfield. Cruz isn't a great defensive outfielder, his bat has been great so he deserves a bit of a pass, game of inches.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
The sad thing about that play was the Rangers were playing their "prevent doubles" defense and were therefore much deeper than usual in the outfield. Cruz isn't a great defensive outfielder, his bat has been great so he deserves a bit of a pass, game of inches.
Cruz left the game after the 11th with a groin strain, I wonder if this is a condition that he has had for a while now. If that is the case, add that in to him being an average/below average outfielder, then Ron Washington has to take most of the blame here for leaving hinm out there in the 9th.

Cruz absolutely loafed for that ball like it was a can of corn and then jumped way to early as if he was afraid of the wall. That's a play that has to be made.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Saratoga

I have no idea who this guy is...guessing he hits well.That's todays ticket;as long as they can hit---we don't care.

Which s a big mistake.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I have no idea who this guy is...guessing he hits well.That's todays ticket;as long as they can hit---we don't care.

Which s a big mistake.
He hits very well....tied for most homers in playoffs all time. Like I said, game of inches still.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Saratoga

Drive in a run...give up a run--or more.

Phooey on that stuff.

Oh....thaaaanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Come on, you can't even believe this crap. There is no reason to not go full out for every ball, let alone the clinching out of the World Series. He's a good hitter so he doesn't have to try in the field? There is a difference between being a suspect outfielder and not giving your best.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Goodwood

The game is on MLB Network now. Ending at 3pm eastern, so you can catch the last 45 min.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Come on, you can't even believe this crap. There is no reason to not go full out for every ball, let alone the clinching out of the World Series. He's a good hitter so he doesn't have to try in the field? There is a difference between being a suspect outfielder and not giving your best.
I agree that a professional has to go all out, the question seems to be whether he hurt himself going for the ball, something we don't know. If not then that effort is hard to explain...not saying that being a good hitter excuses him, I was merely stating the fact that he is indeed a good hitter. I don't think he qualifies as a goat based on that one play any more than Albert does based on his misplay in game 5. Bottom line, the Rangers bull pen blew two opportunities to close out the series.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
The game is on MLB Network now. Ending at 3pm eastern, so you can catch the last 45 min.
That game (if not the whole series) is an instant classic. I have a feeling that it (and the series) will be replayed countless times on the MLB network this winter.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I agree that a professional has to go all out, the question seems to be whether he hurt himself going for the ball, something we don't know. If not then that effort is hard to explain...not saying that being a good hitter excuses him, I was merely stating the fact that he is indeed a good hitter. I don't think he qualifies as a goat based on that one play any more than Albert does based on his misplay in game 5. Bottom line, the Rangers bull pen blew two opportunities to close out the series.
The more I think about it and watch it, I'm guessing that he totally misjudged how hard the ball was hit. Throw in the fact that Freese batting from the right side, so the ball was also tailing away from Cruz. So he didn't get a great jump, loafed after it and was in a horrible position when the ball carried and tailed. To make matteres worse, the early jump cause him to be way out of position for when the ball caromed off the wall forcing him to go chasing it while everyone circled the bases.

I think injury had nothing to do with it, it was purely a bad read by Cruz.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
I would have broke my TV if I was a Rangers fan and saw Cruz make that kind of effort with the series on the line. Being 1 strike away from winning the world series twice the Rangers better hope they don't blow it tonight. There is no reason why they can't crush Carpenter and the Cards bullpen has to be running out of gas. I am not a Rangers fan, but I HATE the Cards and I would love to see Ron Washington go nuts!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
The more I think about it and watch it, I'm guessing that he totally misjudged how hard the ball was hit. Throw in the fact that Freese batting from the right side, so the ball was also tailing away from Cruz. So he didn't get a great jump, loafed after it and was in a horrible position when the ball carried and tailed. To make matteres worse, the early jump cause him to be way out of position for when the ball caromed off the wall forcing him to go chasing it while everyone circled the bases.

I think injury had nothing to do with it, it was purely a bad read by Cruz.
Yeah, probably exactly right.