Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Steve Byk

Default Bay filly for Sumwonlovesyou!

Sumwonloves delivered a bay PA bred filly by Purim early this morning. Details below from Dawn Newman at Fox Tale. Pictures to follow...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sumwonlovesyou foaled a beautiful bay filly this am around 1:15. Dam & filly are the picture of health. Filly is nice and correct, with a long length of hip, pretty head and "elf" ears, which almost touch at their tips. She is really such a wonderful mom, possessing all of the amazing maternal instincts that most foaling barns hope & pray for in a maiden mare, heck, in any mare!

It was a relatively easy delivery for her, labor only lasting about 20 minutes. Sumwon stood up about 25 mins after she foaled, immediately expelled her placenta and turned around to start licking and nickering to the alert filly. She was very accepting to all of the fuss with cleaning up of her stall, re-bedding, and was curious but patient with the human involvement of her filly (stimulating rubs, navel dipping and enema etc.).

About 45 minutes later, the filly made her first attempt at standing and was successful. Once she had possession of her "sea legs", she immediately searched and found the "spigot". SWLY was very helpful, nuzzling her in the correct direction, licking all of the proper stimulus areas on the foal, positioning her body into a "C" and cradling the foal around with her neck. She even lifted her hind leg, for the foal to have better access. I am still amazed by all of these maternal instincts, each and every time I witness them!

I watched the foal latch on and take a good long drink. After some more licking, SWLY stood very patiently for the foal to finish. I watched them repeat this process a few more times, with the filly "training" in her stall in between drinks! She is fast, leaping forward and galloping a few steps and stopping, shaking her head and snorting! This is unusual to see at only about 1 hr old, in fact, as I am writing this, the filly still has not laid back down... she has been up and running for over 1 1/2 hrs. If she does not lay down soon on her own, I will step in and lay her down. Tomorrow, she will have a plasma infusion. As I am concluding this, both mare and filly have laid down together and are resting!

Last edited by Kasept : 04-22-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Dee Tee Stables

awesome!! can't wait to see the pics. glad to hear mom and baby are both doing well.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Steve Byk

Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Gulfstream Park

Beautiful...congrats to all!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Steve Byk

Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Idlewild Airport

Congrats, awesome.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Randwyck

Tears are in my morning coffee reading this.

SWLY's behavior toward her baby doesn't surprise me one little bit. She was the sweetest filly, the most loving, the most trusting, and the most accepting. Why would she be any different with her own baby.

Well done, everyone, and thank you Dawn for such a wonderful report on the birthing.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Hollywood Park

Happy tears are flavoring my morning coffee also. I can't wait to see them. Congrats to all and thank you Steve for putting this all together and Dawn for the beautiful update and pictures.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

i think we all feel like proud parents today!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Aqueduct

Yea Sumwon!!!
I just showed the off @ the office and got the collective "awwwwww".
very cool indeed.....

He's a hack and you guys sold your soul for him. Congrats." coach pants
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Hollywood Park

What a beautiful story! Congrats to Sumwon and her filly.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Fairgrounds

Very exciting indeed. Being dee tee's first, SWLY will always have a special place in all of our hearts.

Paul
Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Woodbine

Glad to hear mom and filly are doing well. It is one of the coolest things to see a foal being born in person and watch them in the first hours of their life.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Flemington

Awww
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Flemington

Congrats guys, great news!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Lincoln Fields

seriously was just thinking of her (Sumwon!) while getting ready to head out this morning and figuring out "how many" days again, the coincidence kinda gives me goosebumps to tell the truth - big congratulations to momma and the baby girl and a big THANK YOU to Dawn and Fox Tale Stud for taking such good care of both em, thank you !
Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Arlington Park

what a GREAT thing to wake up to this morning.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM
The Curragh

Great news.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default cool a router

"Thursday's child has far to go"
Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Woodbine

Congrats to all involved.