Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Dutrow is smarter than he looks or talks in interviews.
I agree...the guy is a great horseman. It's just the perception his clueless response to administering steroids had on the general public leading up to the Belmont. Anyway I just can't agree that Big Brown bought as much good attention to horse racing as Zenyatta. Whether or not that translates into lifelong fans and new bettors who knows.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier View Post
I agree...the guy is a great horseman. It's just the perception his clueless response to administering steroids had on the general public leading up to the Belmont. Anyway I just can't agree that Big Brown bought as much good attention to horse racing as Zenyatta. Whether or not that translates into lifelong fans and new bettors who knows.
I just dont think that outside the 2 week window leading up to the BC there was that much exposure. I was in Chicago the entire summer and there was zero mention of her, zero. That is one of the largest markets in the country and I don't see where she was even on anyones radar outside of regular fans.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus View Post
Those types of races have been produced by three-year-old fillies, though.
In my pillory-free zone, I'm not sure I would put any performance by a 3YO filly since Lady's Secret in that category, since they were primarily in races restricted to 3YOs. I also can't think of a performance by a 3YO filly against older males in the relevant time frame that is superior to Zenyatta's Breeders' Cup Classic.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Your memory serves you incorrectly. It was a high of about 65 and semi-drizzly/misty for the day of the 2004 Belmont. One could transport one's own beer onto the Belmont grounds in those days though, that is true.
One of those years right around that time was the most perfect day imaginable... guess my foggy memory served me foggy memories
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

2005 was cloudy. 2008 was about 1,832 degrees. 2006 was as nice a day as they come, and we got to see Jazil win the Belmont to boot! What a pretty horsey! Ahem...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
One of those years right around that time was the most perfect day imaginable... guess my foggy memory served me foggy memories
I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
In my pillory-free zone, I'm not sure I would put any performance by a 3YO filly since Lady's Secret in that category, since they were primarily in races restricted to 3YOs. I also can't think of a performance by a 3YO filly against older males in the relevant time frame that is superior to Zenyatta's Breeders' Cup Classic.
I can definatly think of one. A winning effort to boot.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
2005 was cloudy. 2008 was about 1,832 degrees. 2006 was as nice a day as they come, and we got to see Jazil win the Belmont to boot! What a pretty horsey! Ahem...
what about 2003?

Hey I picked Jazil that day!! (cough, redboard)
Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Zenyatta's recent BC Classic try is right up there with Jolypha's '92 BC Classic effort and Island Fashion's '04 Big Cap.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Since you are so into history, can you please name for me those performances, since Lady's Secret, by an older female on dirt against males that were superior to Zenyatta's Breeders' Cup Classic?
Jolypha.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
what about 2003?

Hey I picked Jazil that day!! (cough, redboard)
I think you're past the redboard statute of limitations. Like I can now safely say that I did, indeed, bet on Giacomo in 2005.

In any event, total aside, but I'm going to the Birds game tonight and next Sunday - and I'm not even an Eagles fan.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Jolypha.
Oops. It was supposed to be an older female. Jolypha was a 3yo filly going against older males.

And everyone knows that 3yo fillies are much more advanced than 4 or 5 or 6 year old fillies/mares!

At least according to ass handicapper.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I think you're past the redboard statute of limitations. Like I can now safely say that I did, indeed, bet on Giacomo in 2005.

In any event, total aside, but I'm going to the Birds game tonight and next Sunday - and I'm not even an Eagles fan.
thats awesome!! two huge games also! I'll be at the Eagles / Viqueens & Eagles / Cowgirls at the end of the season
Old 11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Zenyatta's recent BC Classic try is right up there with Jolypha's '92 BC Classic effort and Island Fashion's '04 Big Cap.
Jolypha ran well in a pretty good edition of the BC Classic.

The 2004 Big Cap was a very weak edition of that race, after the top SoCal horses (Pleasantly Perfect and Medaglia D'Oro) skipped the race and went to Dubai for the World Cup. In a better edition of the race the following year (Rock Hard Ten, Congrats, Saint Liam), Island Fashion finished 9th at 21-1.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Sha Tin

Serena's Songs 3rd in the 96 Islen to Smart Strike under Donna Barton. That might have been a better effort than her 2nd by a neck in the Whitney.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Jolypha ran well in a pretty good edition of the BC Classic.

The 2004 Big Cap was a very weak edition of that race, after the top SoCal horses (Pleasantly Perfect and Medaglia D'Oro) skipped the race and went to Dubai for the World Cup. In a better edition of the race the following year (Rock Hard Ten, Congrats, Saint Liam), Island Fashion finished 9th at 21-1.
You mention Congrats but not Southern Image?

How objective.

I'm sure Island Fashion was in the same multiple grade 1 winning form in '05 as she was at the beginning of '04.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
You mention Congrats but not Southern Image?

How objective.

I'm sure Island Fashion was in the same multiple grade 1 winning form in '05 as she was at the beginning of '04.
Huh? Southern Image wasn't in the 2005 Big Cap.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Huh? Southern Image wasn't in the 2005 Big Cap.
I know. He won the '04 Big Cap with Island Fashion hounding him all the way to the wire.

I just found it interesting that you said the '04 edition was weak without mentioning him, yet saw fit to cite Congrats as a means of bolstering the quality of the '05 version.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Serena's Songs 3rd in the 96 Islen to Smart Strike under Donna Barton. That might have been a better effort than her 2nd by a neck in the Whitney.
She ran great in the Whitney from an outside post, but nobody's going to confuse that edition, won by Mahogany Hall (in which Peaks and Valleys and L'Carriere were the two favorites), as one of the better Whitneys of recent times.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I know. He won the '04 Big Cap with Island Fashion hounding him all the way to the wire.

I just found it interesting that you said the '04 edition was weak without mentioning him, yet saw fit to cite Congrats as a means of bolstering the quality of the '05 version.
I didn't list the runners of the 2004 Big Cap (Southern Image, Buddy Gil, Saint Buddy, Olmodavor, etc.) because the absentees were far better than who was there. She ran well, but I think it's a big stretch to suggest that Island Fashion's effort against that field was superior to Zenyatta's BC Classic.