Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Suffolk Downs

Default Comments on todays show about OBS

Hey Steve et al,

I caught just a small portion of today's show when you talked about the drop in for OBS.

If you feel that this will be the course for the balance of the year with other sales like Fasig-Tipton, etc do you feel that we may see dominance from horses abroad in the years to come instead?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinnin
Hey Steve et al,

I caught just a small portion of today's show when you talked about the drop in for OBS.

If you feel that this will be the course for the balance of the year with other sales like Fasig-Tipton, etc do you feel that we may see dominance from horses abroad in the years to come instead?
There have been frequent downturns in the US market over the years, and speculation that Euro or Arab dominance would result via the sales have yet to come to fruition. There are still homebreds out there to offset the foreign purchases, not to mention backyard breeders producing the Tin Cup Chalices of the world. And for every multi-million dollar purchase there is a $75,000 Funny Cide or Afleet Alex.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Santa Anita

I caught just the last 20 minutes or so and was wondering who the caller was right before the last one. He had such a great voice with a bit of a "twang" to it.. who was that? I tried to catch his name before you hung up but my sister was in the car yackin
Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinnin
Hey Steve et al,

It will be a really slow market this fall with Fasig tiptons october yearling sale, the middle to back of the November books and anything in OBS like the January sale. Many of the horses in these sales are just not sale worthy in a depressed market and wont bring a bid or very small bids. With so many breeders trying to shed their lesser horses and mares, there will be a flood of cheap horses on the market. I doubt that it will have a lot of influence on the racing scene in the near future, I mean good horses are still good horses, they just cost a little less to acquire. In the long term you will see a reduction in mares bred which may not be all that negative if the reduction is taking out poor mares who arent producing anyway. You may also see more mares migrating to regional programs where the breeders awards are strong and the smaller breeders have a better chance to make money on the backend.

I would guess that the November sale at Keeneland will be worse than the September yearling market, especially the middle and lower end of the market, book 4 and beyond. Fasigs one day sale in November will do fine because they have a very strong book.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Saratoga

Caught some of the show today, Steve. Is it just me, or does Kieran McGlaughlin moonlight as the voice of Cleveland on Family Guy?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman
Caught some of the show today, Steve. Is it just me, or does Kieran McGlaughlin moonlight as the voice of Cleveland on Family Guy?
You may be on to something!

I was pleased that I actually made Kiaran laugh a couple of times tonight...