Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Randwyck

Default Why Won't Quality Road Win The Classic?

i started looking at stuff today for the classic and so based upon quick analysis i like quality road...not sold on zenyatta (if you disagree take it to ya zenyatta thread) lookin at lucky has issues, rail trip has issues...lots of question marks out there....quality road seems like hes gonna be healthy, run his race and hit the wire first...at favorable odds...i expect 6/1-8/1 ballpark
Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Belmont Park

Yep and well pickeled to boot
Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post
i started looking at stuff today for the classic and so based upon quick analysis i like quality road...not sold on zenyatta (if you disagree take it to ya zenyatta thread) lookin at lucky has issues, rail trip has issues...lots of question marks out there....quality road seems like hes gonna be healthy, run his race and hit the wire first...at favorable odds...i expect 6/1-8/1 ballpark
Can't see it. Its Zenyatta, Blame and Lucky coming down the stretch.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Flemington

Better be concrete.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post
Like last year, Ill be using 2 horses to end all pick 3's and 4's.... Z and QR.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Like last year, Ill be using 2 horses to end all pick 3's and 4's.... Z and QR.
You really think QR can win this? Unless there is a major change in who will be there I will be surprised.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
You really think QR can win this? Unless there is a major change in who will be there I will be surprised.
Yea I do. I think the other speeds are horrible, he will sit 3rd or 4th and I dont see it being that hot up front. Haynesfield is not going 22.3-46... He is going more like 48, just crawling.... QR gives them the slip turning for home, then is he good enough?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Dee Tee Stables

blame beat him at 1 1/8th, i don't see a different result when it's longer and they're talking about building QR's stamina.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Les Bois

Not if he goes psycho at the gate.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
Yea I do. I think the other speeds are horrible, he will sit 3rd or 4th and I dont see it being that hot up front. Haynesfield is not going 22.3-46... He is going more like 48, just crawling.... QR gives them the slip turning for home, then is he good enough?
The pace will still be pretty good up front and the 1 1/4 seems too long for him.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Pimlico

I don't think we can tell until we see the final entries, post position draw, and quite possibly even how the track is playing. There was an inside bias at CD a few years ago that impacted the results.

I think it's fair to say that 10F is unlikely to be his optimal distance and the typical BC field will be so loaded with quality speed/pressers that QR is going to find himself in deep waters in the last furlong. However, he wasn't so abysmal at 10F last year to think he couldn't win if the race comes up weaker than expected or he makes the lead easier than expected on a track that's carrying speed.

He was a short and rushed horse for the Travers, but carried his speed a little better the next time despite losing to Summer Bird who was an excellent and peaking rival at the time. In addition, horses without the stamina to get 10f as 3YOs sometimes develop it as 4YOs.

Finally, in his loss to Blame this year I think there is some evidence that the rail was not the best place to be that day. It wasn't until Blame swung out that he wore down QR late while QR was still inside.

Personally, I'm probably going to play against him at the probable odds and likely pace scenario, but I don't hate him as much as some people.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Havre de Grace

Him not being around is helping everyone forget how bad QR's Woodward was. He stalked the pace then had quite the laborious finish while pulling away from a group that included 3 horses who have been absolutely pummeled in their next start.

He's going to be an underlay in the BCC and horses like Morning Line, First Dude, Haynesfield, Espoir City (while not having serious win chances) are going to make his job a lot tougher.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Him not being around is helping everyone forget how bad QR's Woodward was. He stalked the pace then had quite the laborious finish while pulling away from a group that included 3 horses who have been absolutely pummeled in their next start.

He's going to be an underlay in the BCC and horses like Morning Line, First Dude, Haynesfield, Espoir City (while not having serious win chances) are going to make his job a lot tougher.
Your naming horses who have no problem with 24-48 splits. There is no crazy speed horse thats going to duel him out in this spot. When does he not rate? Ok his finish in the Whitney sucked, still good enough for a big beyer.... Did he rate though or did he runoff?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Del Mar

Quality Road isn't the same horse that he once was. He could've been really, really good, but they've never been able to keep him 100% healthy. He won't be a factor.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Quality Road isn't the same horse that he once was. He could've been really, really good, but they've never been able to keep him 100% healthy. He won't be a factor.
For someone who admits to a horrible cold streak, mostly because of bad opinions this is a bit bold. Lets be realistic. Another neck and he is the 3-1 or less, SECOND CHOICE. Now he gets gunned down by Blame, and hes going to be at least 5 or 6-1.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
For someone who admits to a horrible cold streak, mostly because of bad opinions this is a bit bold. Lets be realistic. Another neck and he is the 3-1 or less, SECOND CHOICE. Now he gets gunned down by Blame, and hes going to be at least 5 or 6-1.
I just noticed this comment. First off, my coldest opinions are better than your best. . . Anyways - I was being self deprecating in that post so as not to look overly douchey when essentially redboarding.

Let's be realistic? Have you ever been realistic?

It's not about the neck loss to Blame. It's about the fact that he couldn't win there with an easy lead, and that he came back to lumber home against a field that would make even John Shireffs blush. It's about the fact that a supposedly healthy horse--who has never been particularly sound in his life--is being trained up to a race that's at a distance beyond what is optimal for him (the 100% QR at Gulfstream would have no problem with the distance) against a field that will have more speed in it than when he spit the bit in the Whitney. If you think a three point odds jump from what he probably was pre-Whitney (he might be higher if people wise up) and what he'll be now after all that has happened is a fair price, by all means go ahead and bet. I'm a self proclaimed Zenyatta hater, but I'd take 2-1 on her before I'd take 8-1 on him.

Blame coming up empty next out doesn't exactly bode well for him. Maybe none of them will win, or First Dude will finally find a field he can beat.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
I just noticed this comment. First off, my coldest opinions are better than your best. . . Anyways - I was being self deprecating in that post so as not to look overly douchey when essentially redboarding.

Let's be realistic? Have you ever been realistic?

It's not about the neck loss to Blame. It's about the fact that he couldn't win there with an easy lead, and that he came back to lumber home against a field that would make even John Shireffs blush. It's about the fact that a supposedly healthy horse--who has never been particularly sound in his life--is being trained up to a race that's at a distance beyond what is optimal for him (the 100% QR at Gulfstream would have no problem with the distance) against a field that will have more speed in it than when he spit the bit in the Whitney. If you think a three point odds jump from what he probably was pre-Whitney (he might be higher if people wise up) and what he'll be now after all that has happened is a fair price, by all means go ahead and bet. I'm a self proclaimed Zenyatta hater, but I'd take 2-1 on her before I'd take 8-1 on him. So I guess that head loss i

Blame coming up empty next out doesn't exactly bode well for him. Maybe none of them will win, or First Dude will finally find a field he can beat.
Blah Blah Blah.... Your best opinion is about the same as mine, we both know that. The shots at my opinion are OLD. I only said anything about your opinion because you made the comment to me about 2 weeks ago, then again on the board....Your QR bashing is so confident, I just thought I would remind you... Not intended to start anything, I think you know I respect your opinion. Blame came up empty, Hmmm.... Well QR next out still ran a beyer better then half the field. So whats it really mean? He wont be 8-1, NO WAY. So I guess that head loss is the difference in him being co chalk and in your words 8-1. A head, thats it, he holds on he is coming in 5-5 the flashy speedy Pletcher. Now hes 8-1?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Oaklawn

There are zero scenarios given the field right now where I think Quality Road can win, especially at anything close to single digits... and I'm a fan of the horse and his performances throughout his career.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
There are zero scenarios given the field right now where I think Quality Road can win, especially at anything close to single digits... and I'm a fan of the horse and his performances throughout his career.
What about jocks on other horses letting QR get loose on the lead?

Not that I think QR will win, but hey, I've seen those jocks do some pretty stupid things.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
What about jocks on other horses letting QR get loose on the lead?

Not that I think QR will win, but hey, I've seen those jocks do some pretty stupid things.
.....thats what they should try. get the lead right out of there.....use the horses best asset,his natural speed.