Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Newmarket

Default Time To Play

Hard to understand why this horse was ridden the way he was today in the 7th at Turfway. Despite being in ideal position turning for home, the rider never encouraged the horse with his hands or let him have the reins. Instead he kept his hands way back near his body, and the reins drawn very tightly, there is no other way to say it other than he was restraining the horse despite being in a contending position. He did use the whip once, but with the brakes being applied simultaneously it did no good.

Since the same rider had just broken this horses maiden a few weeks back I looked at the replay of that race to see if he rode him the same way. In the maiden breaker Time To Play was encouraged in the stretch, the rider was noticeably in a driving rhythm, pumping his hands on the horses neck several times and the horse responded. All this despite being well clear.

I'm going to watch for this one coming back because I think its capable of better than it showed today. No sour grapes because I actually wagered on the short-priced winner, but the ride caught my eye.

Last edited by ArlJim78 : 12-27-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Del Mar

Spot on there Jimbo, just watched both races as well. Interesting to say the least.

Ciao,
Spyder