Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Newmarket

Default Thirsty Giant

This 3YO made his debut today in the fourth at Arlington, a MSW going 6.5 furlongs. A son of Giants Causeway, Thirsty Giant was purchased for $450K but wasn't bet much going off at 10:1.

Breaking from the rail, this horse broke a step slow but was able to move up and raced much of the time covered up amongst and behind horses along the rail. He appeared to be traveling well, saved ground and looked like he might have a good run as they turned for home, if he could find a seam to run through. He was angled to the rail to make a run, but the horse in front of him closed the rail gap, and he had to take up. He did re-start his rally and he managed to close and finish fourth. The chart just says, "lacked speed inside and gained belatedly", which i think doesn't really describe it very well.

I'm not saying it was a horrible trip and he would have won, but he did have some trouble but otherwise was running very relaxed and confidently. It just looks to me like with a race under his belt, and perhaps a more favorable PP draw and trip next time, this horse is one that could improve and be a big factor. I also like the fact that even though it was his first start, he recovered from the trouble well, didn't phase him too much.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
This 3YO made his debut today in the fourth at Arlington, a MSW going 6.5 furlongs. A son of Giants Causeway, Thirsty Giant was purchased for $450K but wasn't bet much going off at 10:1.

Breaking from the rail, this horse broke a step slow but was able to move up and raced much of the time covered up amongst and behind horses along the rail. He appeared to be traveling well, saved ground and looked like he might have a good run as they turned for home, if he could find a seam to run through. He was angled to the rail to make a run, but the horse in front of him closed the rail gap, and he had to take up. He did re-start his rally and he managed to close and finish fourth. The chart just says, "lacked speed inside and gained belatedly", which i think doesn't really describe it very well.

I'm not saying it was a horrible trip and he would have won, but he did have some trouble but otherwise was running very relaxed and confidently. It just looks to me like with a race under his belt, and perhaps a more favorable PP draw and trip next time, this horse is one that could improve and be a big factor. I also like the fact that even though it was his first start, he recovered from the trouble well, didn't phase him too much.
AMAZING. I was seriously going to write about this earlier but ended up going to meet a friend for dinner. I thought that the chart was definitely not descriptive enough for the trip, and made no mention of his check when he began to rally.

I think that his fourth place finish will guarantee he will take some money, but not nearly as much as he should given the trip he encountered in the stretch. i was impressed with he tenacity for a first-timer, re-rallying after having to check and take up to the outside. He finished well and I added him to my stable mail right after viewing the replay -- certainly one to watch next time out.

Great minds think alike!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:25 PM

Back on Sunday in the eighth race at Arlington.

7/2 on the ML.

Grrrrr, hoping for a bit better than that by off.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Back on Sunday in the eighth race at Arlington.

7/2 on the ML.

Grrrrr, hoping for a bit better than that by off.
finally! they sure gave him a lot of time which I don't mind unless it was due to a problem. 7/2 isn't what I had in mind though.
have to watch that replay again.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
finally! they sure gave him a lot of time which I don't mind unless it was due to a problem. 7/2 isn't what I had in mind though.
have to watch that replay again.
I just took another look at it -- and it's not as bad as it seemed to me the first time I watched it, but he still was looking for a place to rally and tried to go inside and got shut off and had to check pretty good. I'm still impressed by the way he came on to grab fourth after that trouble.

Not sure that I like 7/2, but he's really attractive to me as far as multi-race wagers go, and I'd honestly be shocked if he goes off that short of a price.

I was a bit worried though about how long it took him to work after that race, we didn't see anything for some time, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with him, he seemed to be working alright recently and it doesn't look like he's catching any world-beaters in there either on Sunday.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Newmarket

tough luck for Thirsty Giant, he runs second to a monster first time starter who ran a track record for 6F, 1:08.8, they really kept the secret on this one, he wins at first asking at 13:1 and sets a polytrack record.

Shrew Operator, Chris Block trainer, WOW.

Thirsty Giant will be 2/5 next time.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
tough luck for Thirsty Giant, he runs second to a monster first time starter who ran a track record for 6F, 1:08.8, they really kept the secret on this one, he wins at first asking at 13:1 and sets a polytrack record.

Shrew Operator, Chris Block trainer, WOW.

Thirsty Giant will be 2/5 next time.
Seriously -- I was totally blown away, every call had insane fractions and the horse kept going. Really something -- watch out for that one in the future.

That's one pretty quick race he lost, and one insanely quick race he lost.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Back again in Arlington's 7th on Saturday.

Not sure what kind of horses he's up against, but at least there's a full field of 12 in there. He'll be stretching out to a mile, which should be a good thing for him, and hopefully he won't run into any real monsters this time.

With the full field, there could be just a hint of a fair price on this guy.

Probably more wishful thinking than anything.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Hialeah Park

oh no....I remember this horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Back again in Arlington's 7th on Saturday.

Not sure what kind of horses he's up against, but at least there's a full field of 12 in there. He'll be stretching out to a mile, which should be a good thing for him, and hopefully he won't run into any real monsters this time.

With the full field, there could be just a hint of a fair price on this guy.

Probably more wishful thinking than anything.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Santa Anita

Well.. looks like he ran 3rd this time... Hopefully nest time will be the charm
Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlintexas
Well.. looks like he ran 3rd this time... Hopefully nest time will be the charm
Graham took him strangely close to the pace early, then let him drop back closer to where he usually is, and then came on late to grab third.

I didn't understand them keeping him closer to the pace, since he had run two pretty darn good races from off the pace.

Oh well, he'll break through at some point -- probably when they stretch him to 1 1/16
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Newmarket

i saw the same thing, broke on the pace, then took back only to come on late. he'll be okay although he kinda has a grinding lumbering style. looks like distance will be kind to him.