Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Default Belmont Fall Trip Notes

Saturday, September 8

NOTES: TURF FAVORED SPEED TODAY, SLOW TIMES DUE TO HUGE HEADWINDS IN THE STRETCH

09-08-01
Orb broke 2-3 lengths slow. Tizracer won an early three-way pace duel, was pressed hard through fast fractions by Bad Hombre down the backstretch, slowly shook loose from that one on the turn, took full command past the 5/16, continued to open up inside the 1/8 pole and won going away by himself. Yet another powerhouse 2-year-old for Pletcher, took all the early heat and still blew apart the race in the lane. Not much in the way of trips behind him. Good step forward for New Line, who was 3-wide just off the quick pace and had no answer for the winner but came home evenly to be a clear place. No excuse for odds-on Orb, whose slow break allowed him some distance from the fast fractions but came up empty in the stretch.

09-08-02
Break OK. Esthers Classy Las settled in midpack, was kept in reserve in a little traffic 3-wide on the turn, switched out into the 5-path nearing the turn for home for clear run, emerged as a late danger to the new leader at the 1/8 pole, continued to grind away and got up in the last jump to score as the favorite. Slow race.

09-08-03
No major trips in this small group. Bombaguia had the best of it from a pace and bias standpoint, but the fact that it took Air Support the length of the stretch to get a nostril past him proves that he can factor at this level/distance. Kimmel's done a great job with him.

09-08-04
Sean Avery settled in a close fourth behind a fast pace, moved willingly under a good hold after the two dueling pacesetters on the turn, came 3-wide and was given a nudge at the 1/4 pole, drew alongside Royal Currier at the 1/8, gradually wore that one down to win as best. Mediocre time here, but fast pace set up for a slow come-home time. Zero Rate Policy made the lead from the inside but soon dropped back off the scorching pace, re-rallied in the stretch to nail the favorite for the place. Not bad. Royal Currier dueled with Crossbow through the sizzling tempo, made the lead in midstretch but had no response for the winner in the final furlong.

09-08-05
Hot Rendezvous and Fantastic Eyes both missed the break. John's Mariah made the lead in the first furlong, relinquished the lead briefly at the 1/4 pole, dueled with Flattermewithroses until the 1/8, started to pull away from there and win as clearly best. Good win at a square price for a horse pointed out in previous trip notes. Rode the bias, as did place horse Flattermewithroses.

09-08-06
Break OK. Carbon County saved ground in the 3rd flight 1st turn, inched up into a close 4th midway down the backside, came 2-wide on the far turn, didn't appear to be gaining on the frontrunner nearing the 1/8 pole, finally began to get closer at the 1/16 and got up in the final yards to win with a good trip. Pretty good effort from 3rd finisher Sandyinthesun, who broke from the tough 11-hole at this distance on the inner and was the only horse to come from the back half of the field with any kind of run in the stretch. Better than looks against the bias.

09-08-07
Palace off 1-2 lengths slow, otherwise break OK. Why Not Whiskey was jostled around after the start, dropped back, unhurried into the turn, continued to be held up near the back until the 1/4 pole, commenced a rally between horses, emerged as the lone threat to the new leader at the 1/8, took over in the final 70 yards with a well-time ride. Good run against the bias, clearly best. River Tune put in an OK late run to get 3rd up the hedge, is likely better served racing on the lead. His previous Delaware race where he almost wired the field at 44-1 was sharp and better than it looks.

09-08-08
Break OK. Royal Sighting tracked the pace in the pocket into the turn, remained on hold in the 2nd flight around the turn, was initially steered toward the inside, then switched one path out, surged past the pacesetter inside the 1/8 pole and gradually pulled away under very little urging to win as best. Showing more speed with Dominguez and has stepped forward accordingly. No major trips behind her.

09-08-09
Break OK. Top Yank made the lead on his own, was pressed around the far turn by Black Ace, shook off that challenge near the 1/4 pole, immediately took on a bid from the favorite, opened up several lengths on that one past the 1/8, was kept busy and unthreatened to the wire at 36-1. Got back to his good form with aid from the bias. Kathy's Kitten was wrangled back to run in the 2nd flight behind the winner, was in tight between horses going into the turn, was asked 3-wide at the 3/8 pole, drew on even terms with the leader turning for home, flattened out nearing the 1/8 pole and was nailed for the show late. Weird ride by Dominguez, could've gotten a better spot with the fast favorite on a speed-favoring course. Lezcano, on the other hand, used the speed on Black Ace to get a better spot, sitting just off the leader's neck, couldn't stay with that one in the final furlong but held a clear place with a good setup and ride.

09-08-10
Crea's Law won the break, everyone else away OK. Blue Creek was hustled out of the gate so as not to drop double digits behind, still went into the turn near the back, was 4-5 wide on the turn, ended up in about the 8 or 9-path turning for home, produced a big charge from there to win going away as clearly best with a ton of ground loss. Well done off the claim for Galluscio. No major trips for others who were within shouting distance at the wire.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:16 PM
The Curragh

Regarding Orb, while I didn't write down anything specific, I remember him having MAJOR issues either at the gate, or in it.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Regarding Orb, while I didn't write down anything specific, I remember him having MAJOR issues either at the gate, or in it.
I didn't see it. I just saw him break a few lengths slow and then do no running with a good setup from there. He deserves another shot because of how big he ran in his debut, but he was a total no-show in here IMO.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
I didn't see it. I just saw him break a few lengths slow and then do no running with a good setup from there. He deserves another shot because of how big he ran in his debut, but he was a total no-show in here IMO.
Absolutely did no running, for sure. But I definitely saw some extenuating circumstances before the start. In fact it was so blatant, I cancelled all bets involving him.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Absolutely did no running, for sure. But I definitely saw some extenuating circumstances before the start. In fact it was so blatant, I cancelled all bets involving him.
Didn't get a chance to watch the live feed, so I just have to go by the replays. Thanks for the info though.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
He broke through the gate. Didnt run off, just pushed it opened. I remember getting my dad to run to the window like a mad man to cancel our bets.

That race is a complete throw out for him. In fact, it looks like he didnt come out of it too well because he just had his first work back today.