Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
easy goer

Default Jockeys move out of the way for Borel??

I am listening to AM sports radio this morning, 980 WTEM in Washington and thye've got some horse guy saying that Borel made that trip. So John Thompson aks him "He was in 19th place, how do you make a trip."

SO the guy says that when Borel moves up he starts shouting "Coming through" or some such and the jocks move out of the way.

So Thompson says "Let me get this straight, I am on a horse in front of you and you are behind me and you yell at me and I move over?"

So he says well some of these horses are tiring and the jocks know that they cant win so it's some sort of courtesy and tiring horses come off the rail, bla bla bla.

So now I dunno what to think. Do they come off the rail because they are tired or because Borel tells them to move off? Or both?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Detroit Race Course

I didn't hear that broadcast but listen to Coach all the time. Two years ago he had on Brian Cox (not sure of name) who picked Giacomo and gave legit reasons for the win. Is this the same guy on this am?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Oriental Park

its silly talk, but if you horse is dying then you should not intentionally try to hinder another horse.....Pval was classic for undermining other riders mounts when he was on a stopping horse.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:26 PM
easy goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byalip
I didn't hear that broadcast but listen to Coach all the time. Two years ago he had on Brian Cox (not sure of name) who picked Giacomo and gave legit reasons for the win. Is this the same guy on this am?
No, this was a guy named John. I dont think it was John Feinstein although based on the voice I cannot totally eliminate him. I think he is probably a Pimlico based horse writer..
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Detroit Race Course

Most likely John Schienman, who writes for the Post and the Balt. Sun.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Churchill Downs

Calvin got through because is fearless and he had a serious racehorse underneath him. If you watch that overhead shot, you'll see that Tiago was right behind Street Sense as the field rounded the turn. Street Sense got through the hole vacated by a tiring Cowtown Cat because of his horse's push-button acceleration. By the time the plodding Tiago got there, the hole had already closed. In the end, good horses tend to get good trips.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Do you think that at least one jockey, if not more, will be more aware of Street Sense's whereabouts in the Preakness?
Marginally at best, unless Angel Cordero is coming out of retirement or Kent Desormeaux, who is also known for riding more than one horse in a race, unexpectedly picks up a mount in the race. Seriously, based on the composition of the proposed Preakness field, it looks like the field is going to be comprised of speed or pressing types of runners, with Street Sense being the lone quality closer. (I don't consider Chelokee a serious threat even if he goes in the Preakness.) The riders will more concerned with their positions vis-a-vis one another for the first seven furlongs, rather than where Street Sense is lingering.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Do you think that at least one jockey, if not more, will be more aware of Street Sense's whereabouts in the Preakness?
Don't count on it. The jockeys should have known before the Derby. BC juvy run, Bo-Rail, trained on the rail. They forgot all about it.

It's like a pitcher says, "The next pitch is going to be a fastball". Think the major league hitters wouldn't knock it outta the park?

Can't blame Beyer for referring to jockeys as pinheads sometimes.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Street Sense corners like a sportscar. If he goes on to win the Preakness and shoot for the Triple Crown, it will be interesting to see how he handles a full field with his major strength -- the ability to acclerate around turns -- negated by the wide, sweeping, 1/4 mile turn at Belmont Park.
If he wins the Preakness, I'd be surprised if there's a full field in the Belmont.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Santa Anita

If you're coming up to a slower horse off the rail it only makes sense to shout out to that rider that you are coming up the rail. Everybody staying in their lane is the right thing to do when that happens.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Coach Pants

Damn right the fix was in and I was in on it.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Les Bois

For whatever it's worth, I actually think they covered this in the NBC broadcast. The commentaters were talking about whether or not Calvin would have been shouting at anyone to move. Bailey said it wasn't Calvin's style, he was totally quiet during his races.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondropkid1
For whatever it's worth, I actually think they covered this in the NBC broadcast. The commentaters were talking about whether or not Calvin would have been shouting at anyone to move. Bailey said it wasn't Calvin's style, he was totally quiet during his races.
Well then if Bailey said that, I would bet anything that Borel was screaming like a little girl coming out of that turn....
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
If he wins the Preakness, I'd be surprised if there's a full field in the Belmont.

Ditto. If SS wins the Preakness I would guess he will face 4, maybe 5 horses in the Belmont. By the way he has been installed as 4/6 odds to win the TC.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
In the end, good horses tend to get good trips.
Exactly, and when he wins the Preakness, you will see an Afleet Alex like performance in the Belmont....
Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
BansheeBreeze

Just watching the overhead I didn't see anybody per say "move out of the way" for him. Coming around the far turn he had 3 horses in his way on the rail. The first one he had to pass angled over to pass the one in front of him but didn't have the acceleration to go through it. SS did. Watching the overhead again just proves how good SS was. There's 6 horses ahead of him with perfectly clear sailing and no "traffic" excuses, when SS makes his move and he was simply running twice as fast as the rest. I think if he has to go wide in the Preakness the only difficulty he's going to have is running a clean trip and not getting silly in the stretch.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Fairgrounds

I just talked to a good friend of mine who said Calvin is the quietest jockey out there.Doesn't let anyone know he is coming.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Randwyck

Remind me never to listen to that show when they are talking about racing. I can't believe this type of nonsense like this is purported.

Eric
Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I suspect that there will be a rather large field (10) for the Belmont if Street Sense wins the Preakness. Pletcher should have a few -- Circular Quay, Any Given Saturday, and maybe Sam P. and Cowtown Cat -- from among his colts, and I wonder if Tabor wants to take a shot with Rags to Riches, given her breeding.

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Well I didn't hear the show, or Mike and the Mad Dog, but these were some gems I heard at an OTB yesterday.

1. Nafzger will probably take Borel off now in favor of a big name jock
2. Calvin Borel is the best jockey in the US
3. Street Sense will lose the Preakness because the race is shorter than the Derby
4. Street Sense will win the Preakness because the race is longer than the Derby
5. Mario Pino was to blame for Hard Spun losing because everyone knows you can't win the Derby wire to wire

I'm sure there were plenty more, but I started blocking everything out after awhile.
Mondays at the OTB.

What a place.