2 Busy Bev Homeister R B Jr 114 LA
3 Lori Z's Punch Acosta J D 114 LA
4 Fools in Love Rose J 114 LA
5 Love That Dance Marquez C H Jr 114 LA
6 Love's Blush Dunkelberger T L 114 LA
7 Level With Me Rose J 114 LA
8 Bright Gem Garcia Luis 114 LA

4th (1:51) Maryland Million Ladies S.

1 1/8 Miles (Turf) | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $125,000

1 Miss Lombardi Rose J 119 LA
2 Beau's Trip Dominguez R A 119 LA
3 Heavenly Moon Homeister R B Jr 119 LA
4 Ziggly Pino M G 119 L
5 Little Harbor Potts C L 119 LA
6 Talkin About Love Marquez C H Jr 123 L
7 Amie's Legend Napravnik A R 121 LA

5th (2:23) Maryland Million Nursery S.

6 Furlongs | Open | 2 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Cactus Charlie Marquez C H Jr 122 L
2 Heavenstmurgatroid Napravnik A R 122 LA
3 Morumsco Rose J 117 LA
4 Love Who Dominguez R A 122 LA
5 Not My Problem Garcia Luis 122 LA
6 Belgian Beer Camacho E 117 Blk-On LA
7 El Pichon Garcia G 117 LA
8 Rutledge Lion Dunkelberger T L 122 LA
9 Toboggan Slide Llagas W E 122 L
10 Petecarol Luzzi M J 117 LA
11 Rutledge Star Dunkelberger T L 122 LA

A-Coupled: Rutledge Lion and Rutledge Star

6th (2:55) Maryland Million Turf Sprint H.

5 1/2 Furlongs (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Tommie's Star Navarro J 116 LA
2 Love You Too Acosta J D 112 LA
3 Disco Dandy Garcia Luis 113 LA
4 Lycurgus Pino M G 115 L
5 Heros Reward Napravnik A R 124 LA
6 Earlswood Pete Potts C L 113 LA
7 Casanova Jack Homeister R B Jr 113 LA
8 Kosmo's Buddy Camacho E 113 LA
9 Natural Seven Dominguez R A 117 LA
10 Mr. Keeper Rose J 111 LA
11 Sandbagin' Lover Luzzi M J 116 LA
12 Citifest Morales S 115 L

A-Coupled: Love You Too and Heros Reward

7th (4:00) Maryland Million Distaff H.

7 Furlongs | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $125,000

1 For Sally Russell S 112 LA
2 Love for Not Luzzi M J 115 L
3 Saxet Heights Dunkelberger T L 116 LA
4 Met a Miner Dominguez R A 115 LA
5 My Little Pretty Whitacre G 114 LA
6 Broad Bess Potts C L 113 LA
7 Wanda Nevada Caraballo J C 111 LA
8 All Giving Joyce J 120 LA

8th (4:33) Maryland Million Lassie S.

6 Furlongs | Fillies | 2 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Polish Dance Pino M G 119 LA
2 Ben's Boots Dominguez R A 119 FTL-A
3 Star Anna Acosta J D 119 LA
4 Rutledge's Love Dunkelberger T L 114 LA
5 Favored Lady Napravnik A R 114 LA
6 Jim's Prospect Homeister R B Jr 114 FTL-A
7 Big Gulp Ramirez Erick 119 Blk-On LA
8 Lil Kiara Marquez C H Jr 119 LA
9 For Royalty Luzzi M J 119 LA
10 E's On Main Russell S 114 FTL
11 Slavena Caraballo J C 119 L
12 Just Once Foley T 114 LA
13 Bear Cave Camacho E 114 FTL-A
14 Icy Lover Navarro J 114 LA

9th (5:06) Maryland Million Sprint H.

6 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $125,000

1 Celtic Innis Russell S 120 LA
2 Just Don Russell S 115 L
3 Not for Silver Rose J 119 LA
4 Roaring Lion Dominguez R A 117 LA
5 Saay Mi Name VanHassel C 114 LA
6 Love Treasures Garcia G 109 L
7 Sandbagin' Lover Luzzi M J 115 LA
8 Steal the Sticks Quinonez L S 115 L
9 Great Love Pino M G 116 LA

10th (5:39) Maryland Million Turf S.

1 1/8 Miles (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $125,000

1 Belle's Broker Garcia G 119 LA
2 Into the Wind Caraballo J C 119 LA
3 Class Mark Russell S 114 LA
4 Target Sighted Rose J 116 L
5 Motown Shuffle Whitacre G 119 LA
6 Blitzensdiscogetem Pino M G 114 LA
7 Pocket Patch Joyce J 119 LA
8 Moon Ala Mode Luzzi M J 119 LA
9 Sir Togo Homeister R B Jr 119 LA
10 Izzy Speaking Dominguez R A 121 LA

11th (6:12) Maryland Million Classic S.

1 1/8 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $200,000

1 Broadway Producer Dominguez R A 119 L
2 Cuba Morales P 119 LA
3 Sumacha'hot Whitacre G 121 LA
4 Love Abroad Cedeno C 119 L
5 Diamond David VanHassel C 119 LA
6 Regal Solo Napravnik A R 119 L
7 Knight in Armour Russell S 119 LA
8 Rhythmn Master Rose J 119 LA
9 In the Juice Pino M G 114 LA
10 Sweet Goodbye Acosta J D 116
Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Havre de Grace

I didn't have a dog in the fight but did anyone notice the uncharacteristically terrible ride Dominguez gave Broadway Producer in the Md Million Classic? Did he think they were using the 3/16th pole finish?

NT
Old 09-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
I didn't have a dog in the fight but did anyone notice the uncharacteristically terrible ride Dominguez gave Broadway Producer in the Md Million Classic? Did he think they were using the 3/16th pole finish?

NT
Nick,

Ramon may agree with you...

Ramon Dominguez (jockey, Broadway Producer) said, “We had a real good trip. I should have waited longer. He took me to the lead but I didn’t get the response that I was looking for. Maybe he was too forwardly placed.”
Old 09-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Steve Byk

FORMER CLAIMER SUMACHA’HOT WINS GOING AWAY IN JIM MCKAY MD MILLION CLASSIC

LAUREL, MD. 09-26-09---Hubert (Butch) Cave’s Sumacha’hot came from out of the clouds to win the $200,000 Jim McKay Maryland Million Classic. The former $5,000 claimer won $110,000 for owner/trainer Cave, who had cross-entered his star in both the Classic and the $50,000 Starter Handicap where the gelding was the 7-5 morning line favorite. Sumacha’hot nearly doubled his career earnings. He earned $113,940 during his first 19 starts.

The Maryland Million is the second-most important racing day in the state after the Preakness, 12 races for runners sired by Maryland-based stallions with combined purses totaling $1.23 million. The 24th annual event drew a crowd of 21,695, who braved light rain during the second half of the card.

Under jockey Grant Whitacre, the Mojave Moon gelding lagged far behind all the others for much of the race and was still in last place circling the far turn. Whitacre swung his mount into action and they flew by the field to win by 2-1/2 lengths in 1:50.26. Cuba, the defending champion, rallied to finish second. Regal Solo finished third and post time favorite Broadway Producer was fourth.

The winner was claimed by Cave for $5,000 on September 4, 2008 from John Boniface. Since then the four-year-old has been first or second 11 times in 14 starts, including a victory in the Deputed Testamony Stakes at Pimlico on the Preakness undercard.

“I claimed this horse because I love Broad Brush mares,” said Cave. Sumacha’hot’s mother Monochrome is by the legendary Maryland-bred.

“Three days after I claimed him I realized I had a great horse,” added Cave. “This race was always in our plans. We cross entered into the Starter but Grant came out this week and watched him gallop and after we watched we decided lets go for it. We wanted a race with a lot of pace and I think we could have gotten that in the Starter but there was only one speed horse in there. I was really glad when Chris Grove put the filly (Sweet Goodbye) in here because that assured us of a hot pace. When I saw the half in 46, I turned around and told my dad we’re home. He said ‘I wish I could run over to the window and bet more money’. From there he just picked them up one by one. He always has that late, great kick. He’s been good to me this year. I think I’ll take him home for three months. What the heck, they run this race next year.”

Payoffs for the surprise winner included a $15 win mutuel, plus an exacta of $120.80 and a triple of $565.20.

“All I had to do was find him a hole and I was there,” Whitacre said. “This horse never breaks good and he didn’t today. You just have to bide your time with him and really pick your spots to get through. When the seven gave me a little room, I squeezed through a tight hole and we got there.”

Whitacre, the grandson of jockey Jesse Davidson and younger brother of Charles Town-based rider Brandon Whitacre, was born in Laurel and attended nearby Atholton High School. The 24-year-old ranks second in the current Laurel jockey standings.

“It’s a great feeling,” added Whitacre. “I got riding tips from my brother and my grandfather. Butch has done a great job with this horse. He runs his heart out. He’s a great horse and today he proved it. We could have gone in the earlier race. Everybody said we were passing up on a surefire win. We took a shot and it was a good decision.”

After Broadway Producer came In the Juice, Love Abroad, Sweet Goodbye, Knight In Armour, Rhythmn Master and Diamond David. Pablo Morales (jockey, Cuba) said, “The horse did what he was supposed to do. Dominguez moved a little early. I knew I had a lot of horse left. All of a sudden there was a horse on the outside. The horse tried his best.”

Rosie Napravnik (jockey, Regal Solo) said, “He ran awesome. I followed Ramon the whole way around and we got a great trip but it was just tough to get by. When the horse went by he kicked in again. He put in a great effort, a really nice horse.”

Ramon Dominguez (jockey, Broadway Producer) said, “We had a real good trip. I should have waited longer. He took me to the lead but I didn’t get the response that I was looking for. Maybe he was too forwardly placed.”

J.D. Acosta (jockey, Sweet Goodbye) said, “She went too fast in the beginning. I was really trying to relax a little bit and I didn’t want to put her on the rail at the beginning, because when she goes to the rail she wants to take off. I just don’t want anybody chasing me in the beginning. I think maybe a mile would be perfect for her.”

Introduced in 1986, the Maryland Million has been duplicated by 22 other states. Hall of Fame TV Broadcaster Jim McKay originally proposed the Maryland Million concept and remained the Chairman of the Board until his death on June 7, 2008. The race day was officially designated as Jim McKay Maryland Million after the Maryland General Assembly voted overwhelmingly in support of a resolution by Delegate Sandy Rosenberg (D) District 41 during the 2009 Legislative Session. Earlier on the card a special tribute was paid to McKay in the winners’ circle.

“Today my father would have been proud but also humbled to have his name forever a part of an event he conceived to combine two great passions, the State of Maryland and Thoroughbred horse racing,” said Mary McManus Guba, McKay’s daughter. “I think he is with us today in spirit.”

The Maryland Million continues to receive strong support from Maryland's extensive breeding industry, which includes more than 200 farms. Maryland-sired Thoroughbreds are nominated before they become 2-year-olds and remain eligible for life to run in the Maryland Million races. After 24 runnings, 210 stallions have been represented in Maryland Million races.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Jerome Park

I wish stories like this came a long more often.

I am curious as to what Butch saw 3 days after he claimed him though that made him realize that he had a great horse on his hands
Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I wasn't there for it, but heard there was a pretty nasty breakdown in one of the turf races on the card.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I wasn't there for it, but heard there was a pretty nasty breakdown in one of the turf races on the card.
I was there. It was as bad as it gets, with the horse trying to walk on 3 legs and the ankle visibly broken. It was the kind of horrible sight you kick yourself for looking at, and can't get out of your head once you have.

In a later race on the card, also on the turf, the favorite pulled up lame in the backstretch.

This sport sure yanks you between the heights of euphoria and the depths of despair.