Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
I understand that not all races are "fairly run", but on a fairly run race, Winter Memories has zero problem at all with Hungry Island. A trained chimp could also see that Ramon absolutely made sure that Winter Memories was not gonna have an easy time of it today.

Oh well, I'm in the same camp as Joey, I will take her against any turf filly/mare in the country.
We can only hope that the people who think she's over-rated bet with both fists next time she runs.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:50 PM
The Curragh

Which 3-year-old do you take: Wait a While or Winter Memories?
Old 08-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
We can only hope that the people who think she's over-rated bet with both fists next time she runs.
She'll probably be odds-on again next time. . . Hopefully Hungry Island is in the race too. I like Winter Memories--a lot--her last race was amazing, but you can't deny that her reputation has gotten a little out of hand.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:00 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
She'll probably be odds-on again next time. . . Hopefully Hungry Island is in the race too. I like Winter Memories--a lot--her last race was amazing, but you can't deny that her reputation has gotten a little out of hand.
I guess it all depends on where you are sitting. Perhaps in the industry, her reputation was over the top, but where I sit, she is what she is, the best 3 year old turf filly in the country who for a variety of reasons ran poorly today.

At least we don't have to worry about Jimmy Toner ducking competition, and only running her in easy spots. She will either cement her standing, or unravel it over the next few months, but I believe we're dealing with cement.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Dee Tee Stables

congrats to shug and co!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Keeneland

I'm a big fan of Winter Memories the horse as well as her human connections, so I hope she bounces back.

As far as the top 3 year old turf filly in the country, has anyone seen Summer Soiree's two turf races this year? She won despite her rider yesterday. He'll get her beat eventually with rides like that, but she's been very, very good since getting on turf.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Hollywood Park

The track on 10/3 at Belmomt would make the course today seem like they were running on Union Ave itself, so I would be surprised if it was the condition of the turf. Being down inside during the late stages of the race didn't help. Lezcano rode her like his body and brain had been taken over by Diane Nelson. He was in a jackpot the whole way around.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuvForPletch View Post
The track on 10/3 at Belmomt would make the course today seem like they were running on Union Ave itself, so I would be surprised if it was the condition of the turf. Being down inside during the late stages of the race didn't help. Lezcano rode her like his body and brain had been taken over by Diane Nelson. He was in a jackpot the whole way around.
thank you! you are the only other person other than myself questioning that god awful ride but granted Winter really never looked comfortable or a winner at any point.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
What's on October 3rd?

I also disagree with the rest.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
What's on October 3rd?

I also disagree with the rest.
The turf for the Miss Grillo was just about as boggy as it gets. Any other afternoon besides a "win and you're in" day and there is a pretty good chance they aren't running 2yo's on the grass.

Please point out 1 thing Lezcano did right on WM besides staying aboard over the 9f?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
Speaking of ridiculous, I read somewhere Shug is pretty confident with Hungry Island against The Queen. I think is was something to the effect of "She will know we are there"

Ok, Shug
Gotta give Shug his props.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Havre de Grace

count how many hosses that Hungry Island passes in every race she ran.....that's what you love to see. Not 2 or 3, but 5 or 6 hosses minimum in every race. She loves to pass, and no one passes her. The best is yet to come.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Please point out 1 thing Lezcano did right on WM besides staying aboard over the 9f?
What would you have had Lezcano do? Ask his horse for run going into the first turn, so he could not only be three wide into the turn but with the chance that, once in the clear, his horse having been asked for run might run off. Ramon rode aggressively into the first turn to box Winter Memories in and then was clearly race-riding Winter Memories from that point forward. You don't think Lezcano was trying to get his filly out.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
count how many hosses that Hungry Island passes in every race she ran.....that's what you love to see. Not 2 or 3, but 5 or 6 hosses minimum in every race. She loves to pass, and no one passes her. The best is yet to come.
It's like that argument that Zenyatta's closing style somehow made her a better horse.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
It's like that argument that Zenyatta's closing style somehow made her a better horse.
I would never say that it made her a better horse, but closers who win are more fun to watch.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
that analogy is as lame as Overdriven
Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Saratoga

^^^^ NA Pink Thread material.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I'm a big fan of Winter Memories the horse as well as her human connections, so I hope she bounces back.

As far as the top 3 year old turf filly in the country, has anyone seen Summer Soiree's two turf races this year? She won despite her rider yesterday. He'll get her beat eventually with rides like that, but she's been very, very good since getting on turf.
I see where Motion is pointing Summer Soiree to the QEII. He says the BC Filly and Mare Turf is not a likely start.