Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I would say it was widely held going in that Comma To The Top had peaked and considering he was involved in that brutal pace and actually opened up at the top of the stretch, Jaycito should have soundly defeated him.

Jaycito likely needed a race but it would have been nice to see him move forward in his first start at 3 a little bit more than that. He's going to have to improve quite a bit to be considered a win candidate on 5/7.
I think it speaks more to Comma to the Top running a nice race considering where the other two horses that were dueling ended up but that's just my opinion.

I wonder if Baffert puts the shades back on Jaycito. He looked dull.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
Yes... Baffert returning the hood to Jaycito.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
I think it speaks more to Comma to the Top running a nice race considering where the other two horses that were dueling ended up but that's just my opinion.

I don't disagree about CTTT's guts. No doubt he is a gutty horse, but for Jaycito to only beat him by 2 lengths after CTTT goes sub 45 sub 109 is a mystery. Maybe the double move and the wide trip need to be more seriously accounted for?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
I love how Tackleberry just keeps on coming.
Me too!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Keeneland

Could someone please explain the Jaycito hype to me? I really don't get it and I have tried to. Where is his good race? Is it all based on his non threatening run in the Juvenile? Maybe Baffert? I was sure after his performance on Saturday that the talk would subside, but he's still being talked about.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Could someone please explain the Jaycito hype to me? I really don't get it and I have tried to. Where is his good race? Is it all based on his non threatening run in the Juvenile? Maybe Baffert? I was sure after his performance on Saturday that the talk would subside, but he's still being talked about.
It is one of the greater horse racing mysteries to me, ever.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuvForPletch View Post
I don't disagree about CTTT's guts. No doubt he is a gutty horse, but for Jaycito to only beat him by 2 lengths after CTTT goes sub 45 sub 109 is a mystery. Maybe the double move and the wide trip need to be more seriously accounted for?
Peter Miller and his owners should check their egos at the door. Put this guy back on grass and go get trophy's and lots of dough. No shame in his main track efforts.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more...I haven't seen one thing from this horse that leads me to belive he can win the derby.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
The funny thing about it all too is that people are being a little bit more critical of Premier Pegasus because he "got a huge setup." Everyone needs to re-watch that race and see where PP and Jaycito are respectively with just over a half-mile to go. Premier Pegasus absolutely blew Jaycito's doors off.

Yes, the pace setup was hot, but this wasn't some staggerfest late where Premier Pegasus clunked up to win. He made a legitimate 3 furlong bid that, yes was setup by a fast pace, but was also a very strong move.

Unless you are REALLY forgiving and feel that Jaycito needed a race off the bench there's absolutely no reason why you'd take him over Premier Pegasus right now. PP made the first run into the collapsing pace and Jaycito still did nothing more than plod along for a well-beaten 2nd.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Aqueduct

THe thing people fall to talk about is that the race was 1 1/16, if the race was 1 1/8 Comma to the Top would have been like 7th or 8th.

He has no chance in the Derby

Jaycito on the other hand did not look great but raced decent. The distance will help him and don't forget he came off a layoff. I am just happy he did not blow any turns this time LOL
Old 03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
I thought his Norfolk was a pretty impressive effort. I have never seen a horse win a two turn race (non bull ring of course) being at least 4 wide the entire way around, except maybe Big Brown's Derby, and i don't think he was quite as wide for as long. Still impressive in its own right. How many lengths better than JP's Gusto in that race?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Randwyck

Anyone who watches HRTV regularly knows Jeff Siegel touted this horse heavily in the week leading up to the race, based solely on what he was told by Baffert.

It was funny watching Baffert being interviewed the day of the race playing down the inevitable KOD.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
The funny thing about it all too is that people are being a little bit more critical of Premier Pegasus because he "got a huge setup." Everyone needs to re-watch that race and see where PP and Jaycito are respectively with just over a half-mile to go. Premier Pegasus absolutely blew Jaycito's doors off.

Yes, the pace setup was hot, but this wasn't some staggerfest late where Premier Pegasus clunked up to win. He made a legitimate 3 furlong bid that, yes was setup by a fast pace, but was also a very strong move.

Unless you are REALLY forgiving and feel that Jaycito needed a race off the bench there's absolutely no reason why you'd take him over Premier Pegasus right now. PP made the first run into the collapsing pace and Jaycito still did nothing more than plod along for a well-beaten 2nd.
Yeah man, I really don't know what people see when they watch a race sometimes. PP ran out of his skin, and Jaycito, well, he was Jaycito.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I thought his Norfolk was a pretty impressive effort. I have never seen a horse win a two turn race (non bull ring of course) being at least 4 wide the entire way around, except maybe Big Brown's Derby, and i don't think he was quite as wide for as long. Still impressive in its own right. How many lengths better than JP's Gusto in that race?
How many lengths better than JP's Gusto?

Who cares??
Old 03-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Moss Race Shape for the San Felipe: 98 (+26) 98 (+17) 94 (+7) 91
Do you have the Moss race shape for the Tampa Derby or Uncle Mo's race?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane View Post
Anyone who watches HRTV regularly knows Jeff Siegel touted this horse heavily in the week leading up to the race, based solely on what he was told by Baffert.

It was funny watching Baffert being interviewed the day of the race playing down the inevitable KOD.
It might have had something to do with his partner Andy Harrington also. His workout reports on Jaycito were very strong.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Hawthorne

Wink

Quote:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing, the horse is wacky and slow, just the type of Derby horse that excels.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
Do you have the Moss race shape for the Tampa Derby or Uncle Mo's race?
Tampa Bay Derby: 73 (+1) 75 (-4) 82 (-1) 86

Uncle Mo: 51 (-26) 59 (-24) 71 (-15) 89 WOW
Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Have you watched a race in California in the last 3 years? It happens daily on synth.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Del Mar

I'd like to go on record that I think Jaycito sucks. . . I said earlier in the thread that I thought he could suck up for a piece. By a piece, I meant fourth. Only because he'll be at the back early being his stupid self.