Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Hialeah Park

Default Billions

I BEGGGGGG somebody to show me a television program that is HALF as good as this has been in its sophomore season.

Brian Koppelman and the team of writers he/they employ(s) are putting together storylines that I consider to be the best written show EVER.

Yes, folks, I said ever.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Havre de Grace

Better than the Flintstones ? Hard to believe.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
You watch Billions, AS?

The multiple storylines that tie in together are enough reason to surpass The Wire.

Then we have the dialogue, which is in a league of it's OWN like Dottie Hinson!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Belmont Park

I really enjoy this show, but the way these b-plot story lines get tied up sooo neatly within an episode or two is very Entourage-like.

David Costabile's (The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc.) character is another shortfall in my opinion. He is an Emmy-deserving supporting actor who's character is written as drunken buffoon who masquerades as the COO of a multi-billion dollar hedge fund firm. The premise is so thin and unbelievable that it gets annoying to watch him.

On the positive side, Damian Lewis as expected is spot on week in and week out, as is Maggie Siff , and a little shocked that Dan Soder (who plays Maffee - one of the employees, and by trade is a stand up comic / radio guy) is so good. Paul Giamatti should win the Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama series - perfection.

Definitely worth checking out for sure.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
I really enjoy this show, but the way these b-plot story lines get tied up sooo neatly within an episode or two is very Entourage-like.

David Costabile's (The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc.) character is another shortfall in my opinion. He is an Emmy-deserving supporting actor who's character is written as drunken buffoon who masquerades as the COO of a multi-billion dollar hedge fund firm. The premise is so thin and unbelievable that it gets annoying to watch him.

On the positive side, Damian Lewis as expected is spot on week in and week out, as is Maggie Siff , and a little shocked that Dan Soder (who plays Maffee - one of the employees, and by trade is a stand up comic / radio guy) is so good. Paul Giamatti should win the Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama series - perfection.

Definitely worth checking out for sure.

"Enough with the Myers-Briggs, Mafee".

The dialogue in this show really is second to none. I thought 'The Night Of' was some of the best written stuff Id ever laid eyes on, but this season on 'Billions' really is the best.

UnREAL, the conversations are.

Where else will you get a John Mitchell reference?? Having Ira toss that in there during his convo with Chuck is nothing short of brilliant.

Im starting to think I enjoy this show so much because my friends don't understand most of what is said. Gives me a sense of accomplishment, for lack of a better term.

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
And don't forget Stakes.
Fred had a gambling problem.......
Old 05-02-2017, 05:13 AM
Saratoga

This weeks twist made this probably one of the best episodes of any series ever. Just as I was done telling my wife how unbelivable it was that he as going to dismiss his wife's warning everything changes.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
The people of Dubai don’t watch the Flintstones. But the Abu Dhabi do.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:56 AM
Hialeah Park

Best Written Show ever, BAR NONE, which speaks volumes about the writing if I think it TOTALLY supplants The Wire.

The Wire might have had better acting, and it was written unBELIEVABLY well, but I honestly think Billions has already taken over the distinction of best written series after only 26 episodes.

Certainly on its way to cementing itself into history.

Connerty is the best character, imo, with Chuck & his dad pulling up to fill the exacta in a dead heat. Wags fills out the super!

If you’re not on the Billions train, you best hop on no later than this week and binge in the next two days before the Masters starts!

Be like that annoying Easter Bunny that causes a mini-Christmas and Hop To It, if you can! Jesus Christ would CERTAINLY be a Billions fan! No two ways about it!

- Nathan Israel