Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Hoisttheflag

Default Would you rather win a Kentucky Derby of BC Classic?

If you owned, trained or rode horses, would you rather win a BC Classic or a Kentucky Derby?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Washington Park

Derby. Far more prestigious event
Old 05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
oracle80

Last time I checked classic winners received much more money. Ask any jock or trainer if he wants 10% of 1.2 mill or 10% of 2,4 mill. You cant send your kids to college with trophies, you send em with cash.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Last time I checked classic winners received much more money. Ask any jock or trainer if he wants 10% of 1.2 mill or 10% of 2,4 mill. You cant send your kids to college with trophies, you send em with cash.
At that level it isn't about money. 99% of people would rather win the derby. What is the name of this site? Breederscuptrail?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Idlewild Airport

Derby. If I owned horses, odds are I'd have plenty of money. The Derby is a unique thing, kind of a one shot deal for 3 yr olds. Just getting them in the gate is a thrill. I wish I had this problem, choosing between these 2.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:36 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Derby. If I owned horses, odds are I'd have plenty of money. The Derby is a unique thing, kind of a one shot deal for 3 yr olds. Just getting them in the gate is a thrill. I wish I had this problem, choosing between these 2.
Thats the thing, you think these gusy ride r train for ego, they do it for money!!!!!!! Ask em!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Idlewild Airport

Sure, but the question isn't geared towards jockeys, its towards owners.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Sure, but the question isn't geared towards jockeys, its towards owners.
The original question dealt with trainers Randy. I'm telling ya, they would take the cash.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Idlewild Airport

Frankel would've rather won the Derby with Aptitude than the BC Classic with Aptitude(had he not bounced that day).
Old 05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Frankel would've rather won the Derby with Aptitude than the BC Classic with Aptitude(had he not bounced that day).
Mayeb Frankel would, but if you asked Mandella or Dutrow if they would trade their BC wins for a Derby win, they would say no way.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
The original question dealt with trainers Randy. I'm telling ya, they would take the cash.
Good point with trainers and jockeys with it being about the money. People kept saying how Servis, Ritchey, etc. would get such better horses because of Smarty Jones and Afleet Alex but that has yet to be seen I guess - lot more money in winning the BCC - 5 mil vs. 2 mil. I was thinking from the owners p.o.v. where I would much rather win the Derby
Old 05-30-2006, 04:46 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Saturday_in_May
Good point with trainers and jockeys with it being about the money. People kept saying how Servis, Ritchey, etc. would get such better horses because of Smarty Jones and Afleet Alex but that has yet to be seen I guess - lot more money in winning the BCC - 5 mil vs. 2 mil. I was thinking from the owners p.o.v. where I would much rather win the Derby
As an owner its a no brainer, gotat say the Derby.
But Flag is trying to be clever and change our original argument from th other thread where we were STRICTLY talking about trainers!!!! he thinks hes dealing with a C student here.
YOu ask any trainer if he would rather win a 5 million dollar race or a 2 million dollar race and they are gonna tell you that they want the 5 mill. They make 300 grand for winning one of those. For two mill they make 120 grand. You really think there is a trainer who doesnt wanna make 300 gradn more than 20 grand? Give me a break.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Randwyck

What do these wins mean when it comes to breeding money? And how do other finishers of these races do when it comes to the breeding shed?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Saturday_in_May
Servis just lost his main client, pretty much proving your point.
Believe me, these guys know the game is about money. Its only moronic fans who think they care more about a trophy than a lotta cash. Nice to have both of course, but in the end, they are no different than anyone else, working each day trying to make as much cash as possible.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMugg
What do these wins mean when it comes to breeding money? And how do other finishers of these races do when it comes to the breeding shed?
Glad you asked pete. Smarty and Fupeg cashed in nicely, but Giacomo and others havent.
BC winners have been more consistently syndicated for more cash. And look atthe stud fees!!!!!!
ST Liam just went for over 15 mill.
Zapper forget about it, look at his stud fee!!!!
Volponi didnt break any banks but Pleasantly perfect went just fine!!!
Tiznow got a great buck and sired a champ in his first crop.
Giants Causeway was a runnerup but it didnt hurt him any either!!!
Cigar went for a fortune befor being discovered unfertile. I think you get the point.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMugg
Derby winners almost always start at a higher stud fee.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Idlewild Airport

You know what this really means, that Churchill Downs has been cheap about the Derby purse. It should be a minimum of 4 million dollars. Think about it, there is no reason it shouldn't be. They only raised it a few years ago. Awful on their part.
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Glad you asked pete. Smarty and Fupeg cashed in nicely, but Giacomo and others havent.
BC winners have been more consistently syndicated for more cash. And look atthe stud fees!!!!!!
ST Liam just went for over 15 mill.
Zapper forget about it, look at his stud fee!!!!
Volponi didnt break any banks but Pleasantly perfect went just fine!!!
Tiznow got a great buck and sired a champ in his first crop.
Giants Causeway was a runnerup but it didnt hurt him any either!!!
Cigar went for a fortune befor being discovered unfertile. I think you get the point.

This is incorrect. Derby winners on average have a much higher stud fee than BC Classic winners. I will let you do the work and post the last 20, because you are wrong on this one.
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
Derby winners almost always start at a higher stud fee.
Ok, you have lost all credibility. Giacomo is gonna start higher than Zapper and ST liam? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
This is incorrect. Derby winners on average have a much higher stud fee than BC Classic winners. I will let you do the work and post the last 20, because you are wrong on this one.
Higher start or higher fee with a five year average? You cant only count starting fee, its waht they generate total!!!