Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocksLocks View Post
Not sure if it would have mattered but Florent def had other intentions than winning the race-watch the NBC broadcast again--after the race Mike Smith was pointing and yelling to Florent, "you're the man!" Why does Mike think Florent is the man after that race?
That "you're the man" is delivered at 2:55.37. http://stream.nbcsports.com/horse-racing/belmont-stakes You can in no way tell to whom this was said. Could be at a non-jockey. Stop spreading rumors. I don't think it really makes sense from what seems to be the proximity of the other runners and the time it's taking to turn Justify around with the outrider and come back that Mike would've yelled anything at Florent. If that pink blur was Florent off in the distance, I'm not sure Mike would've expected to be heard.

I don't agree that Florent definitely had other intentions (as in wasn't trying to win). Yes it ran interference for Justify in a way, but I think RH was in the right place for the Belmont if he was gonna be good enough at 12 furlongs. He wasn't, but you gotta try if you're actually trying to win. RH needed to be closer to the pace in the Belmont than the Derby. Gronkowski's race was unusual. A horse hasn't done last to first(-ish, since he didn't win) since 2006. Expecting a come from behind surge or grinding wasn't gonna work. Gary West couldn't have thought RH was gonna win, but if he's gonna insist on trying to, you gotta do what Florent did.