Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Flemington

Having a rotating site was a great idea because it gives more fans an opportunity to see the BC every few years..
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Maybe because not everyone lives in NY, although I know most New Yorkers feel that way
I guess you missed how I said CD would be my first choice if it had to be at one place. Carry on.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Word on another board, from someone who spoke with a BC board member, is SANTA ANITA as the permanent host.

Message boards might blow up when this gets announced

Thats what I heard a few weeks ago from an unnamed source. SUPPOSEDLY.. some people will be buying SA that have BC connections..

also along with that SA may be going back to dirt.

this is all just trade rumors but my source is in the know
Old 12-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Having a rotating site was a great idea because it gives more fans an opportunity to see the BC every few years..
that was the whole idea. if it goes to SA and its synthetic that will be the end of it. racing was better before it anyway.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Steve Byk

There are no decisions or commitments in place. Santa Anita is a possible site, as is Churchill or Hialeah or Belmont... Racetracks are being asked to offer proposals for partnership with BC Limited as possible permanent sites, and a process will evolve from there. And absolutely nothing related to Santa Anita will be determined until the resolution of the Magna bankruptcy.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
There are no decisions or commitments in place. Santa Anita is a possible site, as is Churchill or Hialeah or Belmont... Racetracks are being asked to offer proposals for partnership with BC Limited as possible permanent sites, and a process will evolve from there. And absolutely nothing related to Santa Anita will be determined until the resolution of the Magna bankruptcy.
The only way a track operator would want to be the perm host is if they own a piece of the action, at least the way the system is currently set up. Perhaps the BC is looking for a big cash infusion from the exclusive operator in exchange for a piece of the pie. That would be extremely dangerous and short sighted on their part. 5 years ago they would have partnered with Magna in a heartbeat and last year a slew of people would have loved to sign on with Halsey Minor. Both would have been huge errors according to the current situation. One of the things that made the BC unique was the different venues.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
The only way a track operator would want to be the perm host is if they own a piece of the action, at least the way the system is currently set up. Perhaps the BC is looking for a big cash infusion from the exclusive operator in exchange for a piece of the pie. That would be extremely dangerous and short sighted on their part. 5 years ago they would have partnered with Magna in a heartbeat and last year a slew of people would have loved to sign on with Halsey Minor. Both would have been huge errors according to the current situation. One of the things that made the BC unique was the different venues.
I also thought it moved around to help promote and grow the sport...but I guess if the economics are breaking down that might be the reason.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
But why are they even considering it Steve?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
But why are they even considering it Steve?

$$$$$
Old 12-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Dee Tee Stables

if you look at the race day each year handle-wise, churchill leads the other tracks by a pretty good margin. or at least it did the last time i looked, and i doubt it's changed.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Goodwood

why are they considering it you ask?

because they are freakin retards.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Flemington

Your avatar is sexy.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Your avatar is sexy.
That reminds me, I need to change it.

I found a picture of Ronald McDonald eating a dismembered person, with blood dripping down his chin, but you can't make out any detail in the limited avatar space allowed us.

It's the only picture more gruesome than the one I'm using though, so maybe I'll use it after all.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Flemington

Here you go....use this one....

As cute as I am ... can you believe all those Catholic priests who had a shot at me and passed me up in grade school?

I'm still a little bitter about it. Like I wasn't pretty enough for them or something.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Dee Tee Stables

why don't they split up the bc races between two-three tracks for the day? have the races closer together, make it more t.v. friendly by staggering starts between the tracks. rotate the actual races each year between the tracks. get rid of a couple of the bs races, and put the rest back on one day. by staggering post times, you would have time for post parades, the race, the payoffs, etc, and then switch to the next track for their offering. bam. big day of racing without hours upon hours of jerry bailey running his mouth.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
why don't they split up the bc races between two-three tracks for the day? have the races closer together, make it more t.v. friendly by staggering starts between the tracks. rotate the actual races each year between the tracks. get rid of a couple of the bs races, and put the rest back on one day. by staggering post times, you would have time for post parades, the race, the payoffs, etc, and then switch to the next track for their offering. bam. big day of racing without hours upon hours of jerry bailey running his mouth.
Too many logistics for the connections. If you were an owner or a trainer I would think you would want to be there if your horse was running for a 5 million dollar purse. You wouldn't be able to do that if you had one running in the mile at Belmont and the other in the classic at Churchill.
I would prefer to go back to the one day format and just rotate the tracks. But as long as they rotate them, I could live with the two days.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i suggested that already.

they should have done the dirt races at FPX, the turf races at SA and the synthetic races at HP in this years BC.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Too many logistics for the connections. If you were an owner or a trainer I would think you would want to be there if your horse was running for a 5 million dollar purse. You wouldn't be able to do that if you had one running in the mile at Belmont and the other in the classic at Churchill.
I would prefer to go back to the one day format and just rotate the tracks. But as long as they rotate them, I could live with the two days.
it's not too many logistics. and if it boosted ratings and handle, it would be a good thing. trainers have asst trainers, you already have owners with large outfits who can't be everywhere a horse is running. besides, if you had one in the classic, it would be an easy choice! if you had a rotation of churchill and belmont, and then churchill/cali track, belmon/cali track, each would have the bc two of three years. big days at more than one track would have to mean huge crowds at both, with big handle. having one day wouldn't split the handle, thus lowering it. a two hour telecast rather than four.

adapt and survive, don't adapt and go extinct.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Here you go....use this one....

As cute as I am ... can you believe all those Catholic priests who had a shot at me and passed me up in grade school?

I'm still a little bitter about it. Like I wasn't pretty enough for them or something.
Awww, little Dougie was so cute - what the hell happened?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Woodbine

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
why are they considering it you ask?

because they are freakin retards.
i have to agree. these people are like dr. frankestien and they create monsters. they really need a horseplayer or fan on the board because every decision they make is a big fat loser. this is the only gaming or sports business i know of that does not put the "fan" first. then they have the nerve to wonder out loud "why are we bleeding to death?". who are these clowns? do they have a clue? are they intentionally trashing the thing? is there any common sense? and most of these so called turf writers are just as bad. they are wimps. " we have to take it". guess what keep taking it and there won't be any horse racing to write about. everyone bought into the synthetic track craze (ie. snake oil). then they run over it two years in a row and a dirt horse places third in a couple of them. how many more dirt horses are gonna show up? i'm guessing none at the rate its going! not to mention the whole premise of the thing was to highlight different tracks(monmouth spent millions to update the facility the BC is an economic incentive). in case these morons have not been around a racetrack. cold, heat and rain are part of the game. whats next synthetic tracks with a roof and climate control, it will never get that far thank God because they are too broke to finance it! Magna should go belly up, they are just as guilty!