Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I've listened to a couple of the other weekend shows a few times. There's no comparison. Steve and his program are the best of the group. And it's not even close.
Channel 198 I presume Bruce.....
Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 PM
The Curragh

Default It's Time For ATRAB To Think Outside The Box

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/images/editor/menupop.gif

As the show contemplates it's future a lesson may be learned from the changes that have taken place at ESPN over the last few years and the family of channels it uses to serve the unquenchable sports appetite.

There has been a revolution at the four letter in regards to "credentials" for on air personalties that have made shows like "Pardon the Interruption", "Around the Horn", "Cold PIzza" big time TV!!.....all the anchors or stars of these shows are SPORTS WRITERS.!!!!! The retiring jock is out the writers are in.

Steve Byk is a SPORTS WRITER for Bloodhorse and other publications that happens to be on the radio.

Tony K and Mike Wilbon have never played anything beyond high school. There popularity is enormous because they are well spoken, affable writers who have taken PERSONALITY as sold it through their ability to write.

Is anyone a more engaging affable ethical people person than Steve Byk??

This all started on Sunday mornings when a group of rotating sportswriters created a show called the sportsreporters with Gammons,Ryan,Schaap and Lupica to name a few showed us that entertainment from people taking about sports would sell.

If ESPN can give us everything from Bass Fishing to Ultimate Fighting, Bowling and Spelling Bee's there is certainly a chance for ATRAB to survive and likely prosper on ESPN and it's many channel choices.

Because ATRAB get's the people at the top of the game to appear daily especially during the bigger days in racing each year, it is a natural that Byk's smiling mug appear on TV to bring the rebirth of the sport to the masses because he is a born communicator that could make the project successful at a time TV is starving for new ideas.

If hockey and spelling bee's are prime time choices for these producers all it would take is an audience with the Pope's of the 4 letter to get ATRAB solidly entrenched in our viewing culture.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/images/editor/menupop.gif

As the show contemplates it's future a lesson may be learned from the changes that have taken place at ESPN over the last few years and the family of channels it uses to serve the unquenchable sports appetite.

There has been a revolution at the four letter in regards to "credentials" for on air personalties that have made shows like "Pardon the Interruption", "Around the Horn", "Cold PIzza" big time TV!!.....all the anchors or stars of these shows are SPORTS WRITERS.!!!!! The retiring jock is out the writers are in.

Steve Byk is a SPORTS WRITER for Bloodhorse and other publications that happens to be on the radio.

Tony K and Mike Wilbon have never played anything beyond high school. There popularity is enormous because they are well spoken, affable writers who have taken PERSONALITY as sold it through their ability to write.

Is anyone a more engaging affable ethical people person than Steve Byk??

This all started on Sunday mornings when a group of rotating sportswriters created a show called the sportsreporters with Gammons,Ryan,Schaap and Lupica to name a few showed us that entertainment from people taking about sports would sell.

If ESPN can give us everything from Bass Fishing to Ultimate Fighting, Bowling and Spelling Bee's there is certainly a chance for ATRAB to survive and likely prosper on ESPN and it's many channel choices.

Because ATRAB get's the people at the top of the game to appear daily especially during the bigger days in racing each year, it is a natural that Byk's smiling mug appear on TV to bring the rebirth of the sport to the masses because he is a born communicator that could make the project successful at a time TV is starving for new ideas.

If hockey and spelling bee's are prime time choices for these producers all it would take is an audience with the Pope's of the 4 letter to get ATRAB solidly entrenched in our viewing culture.
Sounds good.

I imagine it takes a lot of time and resources to do the ATRAB show. If the show continues on as it has, that's fine. If it finds a new home, that's ok too. If something else happens, I'm sure Steve will do wonderfully well at whatever he chooses to do.

ESPN would be lucky to get him.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Narragansett Park

Steve,

If Sirius does not pick you up when the whole Sirius / XM things is done with than I know of at least one cancellation of their service. I usually catch some of the show on my ride home and the balance on my way to work the next morning. SOmetimes I get the last hour twice but that is OK, it is usually entertaining.

I immensely enjoy the show and your insights into the game. I truly look forward meeting you either Saturday at the Belmont or at the Carolina Grill in Saratoga this summer. I have been listening to the show since I stumbled upon it late last fall, in fact it is the ONLY reason I still subscribe to Sirius.

I will miss JJ and his "insiders" perspective but lets face it, it is the Bykster that makes the show. Keep up the good work for as long as you care to, knowing that we stand behind you.

Like everyone one else said just let us know if there is anything we can do to support you with the "suits" at Sirius.

HH
Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Hialeah Park

Default Steve rules

I have to say..with Steve at the helm the show is working just fine..nothing against JJ.

Keep it up Steve if you can...but don't end up like Lady Secret at Saratoga.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
That one. A couple others. Mostly on Sat am's if I'm stuck in the office.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Oriental Park

Uns08,

No offense was meant----I didn't hear the portion of the show where they discussed the contract. I'm sorry if I offended you. It was not my intent,just a futile attempt at humor.

Tom
Old 06-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Honestly, if I am working and remember, I'll listen to or watch anything horse racing related.

I remember and miss the shows in Chicago with Connaughton and Super Jock. I realy miss the replays in Detroit on Ch 62 which came on right after Big City News. Then again I miss being 30 years younger.

Randy Moss is very good. But he does what, 22 minutes a week? ATRAB's doing 15 hours.

Steve is the best I've seen or heard. Notwithstanding his admission of not being aware that Maryland My Maryland is based on the German carol O Tannebaum.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

damm the only reason i started with sirius was because of the show. so if e-mails and calling help. let us know.
atrab is the best horse show on radio.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Pimlico

Cool

This news sucks, love this show. JJ and Steve have done a wonderful job. My hour commute will not be the same. I always listen on my IPOD downloaded from ITunes. I'm new to the game, and have also learned more about the horses from ATRAB. So is JJ gone to Brazil for good?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Steve Byk

Default Thanks..

Cannot begin to tell everyone how much I appreciate their very generous, supportive comments and compliments.

Gus (Bogey) suggested me to the show, and I was provided a great opportunity by JJ and Samm 18 months ago. I thank them endlesslessly for their dedication, and will do my utmost to continue things.

Show is not going anywhere immediately..
Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Cannot begin to tell everyone how much I appreciate their very generous, supportive comments and compliments.

Gus (Bogey) suggested me to the show, and I was provided a great opportunity by JJ and Samm 18 months ago. I thank them endlesslessly for their dedication, and will do my utmost to continue things.

show has never been better..lets face it.. the "load was to heavy" for some..dont sell your self short steve, ..YOUR A TREMENDOUS..SLOUCH...LOL

DO YOUR THING BYK....NO ONE CAN DO WHAT YOU DO LIKE YOU DO...
Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept

Steve, I want to thank you publicly for giving me some credit, but the truth be told, it's obvious you deserve your own show. You have a special talent as a broadcaster and are simply one of the best handicappers in the country. I know you will do everything within your power to make sure the contract gets extended. If not, I'm sure they won't be able to keep you down for too long.

As you know, I started with JJ and Samm back in 2004 with ATRAB. Personally, it's sad to see that JJ is not going to be on the show any longer. I consider JJ and Samm close personal friends and believe me they will end up on their feet. There fighters and will be successful in their new endeavours. Also, I would like to thank John Perrotta (one of the most knowledgable people in the horse racing industry). He's well respect all over the world and never brags about his accomplishments. Truly a unique individual.

It's been a pleasure being on the air with you and I look forward to handicapping races and giving selections on future shows. I'm glad there are plenty of supporters and members that realize how much time and effort you put towards the greatest game in the world. If hard work pays off, like it should, there is no doubt you will hit the big time soon.

Wishing you continued success, Gus

Last edited by Bogey : 06-08-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGirl
ATRAB is the ONLY reason I have Sirius - I didn't get it for that reason but now that I have Sirius ATRAB is just about the only thing I listen to. I commute 1 hour to work each day, I catch the 5 - 6 pm on the ride home and then the 6-7 on the replay the next morning on the way to work. Without ATRAB my commute will return to being close to unbearable!!!

Steve, let us know if there is something we can do to advocate for a slot with the new company. While I enjoy listening to JJ and will certainly take a peek at his broadcast network, it would not be the same without you. Not to sound like too much of a groupie or a stalker, but I'll try to follow you wherever you go (virtually, of course!! )
I imagine Suffolk Girl and I commute some of the same roads day to day and I couldn't agree more. The ride home is much more bearable with the ATRAB broadcast running. Nothing can really make commutes on 128, the Mass Pike, Rt 3 etc up here in Massachusetts managable, but ATRAB gets damn close!

FWIW I've had Sirius since Christmas 2004, pre Howard Stern, and I've found over the years they are VERY customer saavy and an old fashioned letter (email) writing campaign or a well placed phone call can go a long way with them, especially over time. Still being somewhat of a new company, they know they are beholden to their customer base.

Doesn't mean our words would be worth a velvet painting of a whale having sex with dolphin (C) Ricky Bobby but it would certainly make the case for a spot on the combined XM/Sirius company down the line, more realistic.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Del Mar

Reading between the lines that Steve has not suggested a write in campaign is that perhaps he has the other plans in the works. If that's not the case, maybe I'm as good reading blogs as the racing form.

If it is the case Steve, we all support you almost as much as Sumwon.

Having said all that, it really and I mean really makes it nice on Sirius as like many others I'm trapped in my car for endless hours where your show may have been responsible for saving my life as by 6 pm I'm about to fall asleep driving home and you keep me awake.

Spyder
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
Reading between the lines that Steve has not suggested a write in campaign is that perhaps he has the other plans in the works. If that's not the case, maybe I'm as good reading blogs as the racing form.

If it is the case Steve, we all support you almost as much as Sumwon.

Having said all that, it really and I mean really makes it nice on Sirius as like many others I'm trapped in my car for endless hours where your show may have been responsible for saving my life as by 6 pm I'm about to fall asleep driving home and you keep me awake.

Spyder
Spyder, I was wondering the same thing....( tricky byk) however, I added another radio for my sister to my account this weekend and let the customer service rep know that I expected ATRAB to continue once the merger with XM is worked out - with 800 or so baseball channels I know they can squeeze in at least one daily horseracing show.

And Suffolk Shippers - it is a Melrose to Waltham commute every day, mind numbing except for ATRAB
Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Flemington

Just a side mention, but a very nice re-cap of Saturday's main event by Steve on the homepage.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Weanling

Default listener support

Steve, as a long time listener I too think the show has been vastly improved and I commute 1hr 30 every day and have Sirrus mainly for this show.. Please shout out, both here and on the show if the listeners can help!