Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Default Top Euros at 10 furlongs

Who figure to be the top Euros this year at the mile and a quarter distance? I'm curious to see which ones are BC nominated.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:41 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Who figure to be the top Euros this year at the mile and a quarter distance? I'm curious to see which ones are BC nominated.
Any age group?

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 05-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Santa Anita

Duke Of Marmalade could be the new Dylan Thomas, he's the first to spring to mind,
Ramonti as well.

#Grand
Old 05-21-2008, 01:47 PM
The Curragh

I suppose, thinking about it, out of the ones that are still in training. Ramonti would be at the top on last years' form.

Out of the 3yo's, I suppose New Approach would be most capable at 10 furlongs (although never raced at that distance).

I would have put Darjina up there, but she was disappointing at the weekend

Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance

I would have put Darjina up there, but she was disappointing at the weekend
I dont think she stays more than a mile..

#Grand
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
I dont think she stays more than a mile..
See, I thought her best trip would be 10 furlongs.

There are some unexposed types, that could turn out to be top class over this trip: Twice Over, Phoenix Tower, Creachadoir, Listen, You'resothrilling.

I suppose we should also give a ention to Soldier of Fortune, who seems to have been forgotten by many.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Hialeah Park

Duke of Marmalade is actually BC nominated. I wonder if he'll come over. Ramonti, Darjina, and New Approach are all not BC nominated which would definitely reduce the chances of any of them coming over.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Santa Anita

Ill have a good look to see what I can come up with after the match...

#Grand
Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Duke of Marmalade is actually BC nominated. I wonder if he'll come over. Ramonti, Darjina, and New Approach are all not BC nominated which would definitely reduce the chances of any of them coming over.
I'd love to see New Approach run in the classic this year, but due to his trainer (who likes to do things the traditional way) it is VERY unlikely to see him run in America, let alone in the Classic.

After Aidan's luckless venture last year (and the terrible loss of George) it will be interesting to see what view he takes of the BC this year.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I'd love to see New Approach run in the classic this year, but due to his trainer (who likes to do things the traditional way) it is VERY unlikely to see him run in America, let alone in the Classic.

After Aidan's luckless venture last year (and the terrible loss of George) it will be interesting to see what view he takes of the BC this year.
Well it is on the synthetics which I'm pretty sure the Coolmore group views as a safer surface so that might change things.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Santa Anita

I think this year, we have a real strong bunch of true 12f horses who might just be good enough to be top notchers at 10f. They include the likes of Soldier of Fortune, Saddex, Getaway, Schiaparelli..
At 10f, I think these could be huge
Archipenko - not european per se, but if he gets quick ground, will be a live threat, he has a lovely turn of foot..

Ramonti - reminds me of Falbrav, so so tough, id say he could win from 8-12f this year if they wanted a challenge..

Duke of Marmalade - O'Brien said that he was slightly in pain all of last year and ran well in defeat all season. Apparantly racing pain free and could be huge this year as he seems to go on anything

Peeping Fawn - she turned into a monster last year and while it can be tricky for many older fillies and mares to keep their form, if she does, she should beat the guys

New Approach - As No Chance said, hasnt raced over 10f, but I think the way he runs, that 10f would seem to be his ideal trip.

Doctor Dino - you'd know him well enough, but he truly loves fast ground and a strong pace...

Balius - another traveller who seems to have upped his form abroad..

I know I am probably forgetting a few but will add to this list.

#Grand
Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
I think this year, we have a real strong bunch of true 12f horses who might just be good enough to be top notchers at 10f. They include the likes of Soldier of Fortune, Saddex, Getaway, Schiaparelli..
At 10f, I think these could be huge
Archipenko - not european per se, but if he gets quick ground, will be a live threat, he has a lovely turn of foot..

Ramonti - reminds me of Falbrav, so so tough, id say he could win from 8-12f this year if they wanted a challenge..

Duke of Marmalade - O'Brien said that he was slightly in pain all of last year and ran well in defeat all season. Apparantly racing pain free and could be huge this year as he seems to go on anything

Peeping Fawn - she turned into a monster last year and while it can be tricky for many older fillies and mares to keep their form, if she does, she should beat the guys

New Approach - As No Chance said, hasnt raced over 10f, but I think the way he runs, that 10f would seem to be his ideal trip.

Doctor Dino - you'd know him well enough, but he truly loves fast ground and a strong pace...

Balius - another traveller who seems to have upped his form abroad..

I know I am probably forgetting a few but will add to this list.
Thanks guys, it was actually Doctor Dino that got me thinking since he wasn't BC Nominated. And I haven't checked all of these yet but most you mentioned earlier aren't nominated which sucks. I want Euros to win the next two BC Classics to show what a joke these synthetics are as a substitute for dirt and how they are only going to lead to the Euros dominating us and the end of the American dirt horse. If you're bored and care to give me a quick schedule of when the top Euro races I should watch out for are I'd be much obliged.

You coming out for the Saratoga meet again brockguy?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM
The Curragh

Not sure how well Sixties Icon won today, but that was over 10 furlongs, and on the best of his form he couldn't be excluded from the list.

With regards to Getaway, I'm not convinced he would handle the drop in distance to ten furlongs. He seems to have plenty of stamina, and might find himself taken off his feet in a strongly run ten furlong race.

I would love to see New Approach run in something like the Classic on a synthetic surface, but it's not gonna happen.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I think that if you want to look at who the top Europeans that will come over here for the 10f Classic are, you have to look at the best European milers. I've always felt that when the Euro's come here, they usually prefer at least a length more over here than they do over there. Because of the kinds of courses and they ways they race over there, milers are more slanted towards stamina than what most American's would expect. Here, the mile is an elongated sprint.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Santa Anita

well the last 2 horses that ran very well on the dirt, Giants Causeway and Sakhee were on opposite sides of the stamina spectrum regarding the classic. 10f seemed to stretch GC to the limit while Sakhee, effective at 10f, was possobly better over 12. You could at least say that 10f would be the shortest he'd have wanted it..

#Grand
Old 05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Not sure how well Sixties Icon won today, but that was over 10 furlongs, and on the best of his form he couldn't be excluded from the list.

With regards to Getaway, I'm not convinced he would handle the drop in distance to ten furlongs. He seems to have plenty of stamina, and might find himself taken off his feet in a strongly run ten furlong race.

I would love to see New Approach run in something like the Classic on a synthetic surface, but it's not gonna happen.

I honestly think these good Monsun's turn into superhorses around 5. I think Getaway would be very effective over 10.

#Grand
Old 05-23-2008, 02:15 PM
The Curragh

I have noticed that, on the synthetic surfaces over here (polytrack especially) horses do tend to need that little bit further. For example, a good miler on turf, would probably appreciate nine or ten furlongs on the synthetic surface. Maybe it's simply because these tracks are flat, and geared far less towards stamina, as you say sniper.

You also have to look at the type of european horse that would cope with how these American races are run. The likes of Ramonti, who would be typically be ridden from the front to control the gallop (how he's been ridden before) probably wouldn't be suited by the American 'hit the gates and go' type of race. It's not all about being good, but it's about being adaptable with regards to pace and where they like to be ridden from. You get some horses who show only just above average form in moderate group races, but as soon as they run in the top class races with a strong gallop, they usually run out of their skin. Youmzain would be the obvious one to mention.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Santa Anita

you could probably add Linngari to this list.. a nice win inGermany today, he has an ambitious owner as well it seems..

#Grand