Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Oriental Park

Default Venue for Nov 17 . . . to start the 2018-19 year off . . .

Slim Pikins (a cowboy movie star Pikens) this time of year, so I'm thinking:

Aqueduct with the GIII 200K Red Smith 3yo & up 11f turf
or
Delmar with the GIII 100K Bob Hope 2yo 7f dirt

Since we are always looking for horse, that will soon be a year older, going towards the Derby, my inclination is DelMar. Not sure how many Derby entries ever came out of the Bob Hope but . . . ya never know.

Thoughts, other ideas?
Old 11-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Slim Pikins (a cowboy movie star Pikens) this time of year, so I'm thinking:

Aqueduct with the GIII 200K Red Smith 3yo & up 11f turf
or
Delmar with the GIII 100K Bob Hope 2yo 7f dirt

Since we are always looking for horse, that will soon be a year older, going towards the Derby, my inclination is DelMar. Not sure how many Derby entries ever came out of the Bob Hope but . . . ya never know.

Thoughts, other ideas?
I remember Slim Pickens, but can't remember a whole lot of movies that he was in. He was in Doctor Strangelove with Peter Sellers and George C. Scott and I think he was also in One Eyed Jacks with Marlon Brando and Karl Malden which I thought was a decent "shoot-em-up." Kind of a memorable scene In Strangelove when he rode the bomb down like a bucking bronco.

Aside from reminiscing about Slim Pickens, I don't care which racetrack. Del Mar seems like a difficult place to play, but maybe that's just me and I am no good judge of which races or which tracks I play best. Lose at those I think I'll win and win as those I think I'll lose.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Oriental Park

Whichever one you select (I agree with you about the Slim Pickens), I plan to be watching the Red Smith at the Big A. A neighbor of mine walks his dog just about the same time I go to the street to get our morning paper. He and his wife are very close friends of the couple who own Trinity Stables, the owners of Red Knight, a New York bred gelding who has been nominated to the Red Smith.

You might remember that Red Knight won an allowance race at Saratoga last summer on a date when it was our contest venue (I think it was the Travers Day). My neighbor and his wife had the thrill of being invited into the winners circle presentation after that race, and not surprisingly have become fans for life. Many mornings when I go to get the paper, I will receive a report of the plans that the owner and Bill Mott have made for his next race or workout. Red Knight has run in two stakes races for New York breds since Saratoga, but the Red Smith is his first attempt at non restricted graded stakes competition. It will be a stiff class test, and the nominees include some tough opponents. The race was chosen because it will probably be the last chance to run at a distance of ground on the turf in New York, and Red Knight thrives on turf marathons. The owners want to determine whether it makes more sense to ship him to Florida for turf racing or give him a break over the winter and wait for next year's NYRA turf races.

One potential fly in the ointment is the possibility that the race could be taken off of the turf. The Northeast is supposed to get heavy rain tonight and tomorrow, and then we could see a wintry mix or rain on Friday morning. I guess for that reason Del Mar is probably the safer choice for our contest, to avoid the risk of having to include the MTO's in our picks. In addition to the Red Smith, the condition book for AQ lists 3 other turf races for Saturday.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:54 PM
The Curragh

Default California Dreamin

Mew Mew Mew
My Vote To Run
Is California Dreamin
Del Mar In The Sun

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFIAN-333 View Post
Mew Mew Mew
My Vote To Run
Is California Dreamin
Del Mar In The Sun
Ahhhh yes the fabulous Beach Boys, America's answer the the Beatles buring that unbelievable music era. Many peole have said Brian Wilson could have been the 5th Beatle . . . talent galore but why, he is the Beach Boy's and we love them. And Brian wrote, along with Tony Asher, one of the greatest songs EVER Written . . . "God Only Knows" hard to match.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Oriental Park

It appears we are all OK with Del Mar Saturday. Points and ROI threads to follow as soon as DRF posts the race entries.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Whichever one you select (I agree with you about the Slim Pickens), I plan to be watching the Red Smith at the Big A. A neighbor of mine walks his dog just about the same time I go to the street to get our morning paper. He and his wife are very close friends of the couple who own Trinity Stables, the owners of Red Knight, a New York bred gelding who has been nominated to the Red Smith.

You might remember that Red Knight won an allowance race at Saratoga last summer on a date when it was our contest venue (I think it was the Travers Day). My neighbor and his wife had the thrill of being invited into the winners circle presentation after that race, and not surprisingly have become fans for life. Many mornings when I go to get the paper, I will receive a report of the plans that the owner and Bill Mott have made for his next race or workout. Red Knight has run in two stakes races for New York breds since Saratoga, but the Red Smith is his first attempt at non restricted graded stakes competition. It will be a stiff class test, and the nominees include some tough opponents. The race was chosen because it will probably be the last chance to run at a distance of ground on the turf in New York, and Red Knight thrives on turf marathons. The owners want to determine whether it makes more sense to ship him to Florida for turf racing or give him a break over the winter and wait for next year's NYRA turf races.

One potential fly in the ointment is the possibility that the race could be taken off of the turf. The Northeast is supposed to get heavy rain tonight and tomorrow, and then we could see a wintry mix or rain on Friday morning. I guess for that reason Del Mar is probably the safer choice for our contest, to avoid the risk of having to include the MTO's in our picks. In addition to the Red Smith, the condition book for AQ lists 3 other turf races for Saturday.
Good luck to Red Knight and connections. I'll look for that race also.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:54 PM
Oriental Park

I'm delighted that Don chose Del Mar rather than the Big A. The adverse weather in the Northeast caused NYRA to cancel the final three races on Thursday's card, and today's turf races were all moved to the main track. I have a feeling that only the featured Red Smith will remain on the turf tomorrow, but there are three MTO's hoping that it might be taken off of the turf also. Red Knight is stuck on the AE list and will be a big price if he draws in..

On the other hand, the Del Mar card that we are playing tomorrow is very different from what we might encounter during the summer meet. I don't think that you would find any claiming races of $16,000 or lower in the summer, much less three of them on the same card. The average number of entries is also much smaller. But, as we have so often found, every race card from Ascot to Kamloops presents its own set of twists and surprises. Let's see what tomorrow will bring.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:25 PM
Havre de Grace

I've been having some fun playing at Del Mar. I am playing in their online handicapping contest and making some real bets on those same races. I have been playing some small exactas and a couple of win or place tickets on some longshots. Hit an exacta on the contest race on Monday and Thursday. Missed the exacta today, but had win tickets on the win and place horses. Winner paid $36. Was glad to have that, but an exacta on those two paid $197 which made me feel like a dunce. Not big scores, but still fun. Now watch, I'll play terrible tomorrow.