Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Sam Houston

Don't penalize the horse, Penalize the trainer!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:10 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
Very few men are comfortable with the idea, because they wouldn't want it done to them. Just as in humans, they cause more trouble than they are worth sometimes.
I know a few that needed to be "cut" a long time ago
Old 05-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo1
There's a wise old horseman's saying,,,"He's a nice stallion. He'd make an excellent gelding". There's a lot of truth in that.
So true.. We have 2 Arabian stallions where I work, that are basically sweethearts except for when the testosterone kicks in and they want to be "nippy" or scream at the other horses.. They never breed and most likely never will. I hope someday their owners either sell them to someone that will geld them so that they can have a better life. As they are, they can't be turned out like "normal" horses and just live in a box 24/7.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Del Mar

Default Hough

Check out Giant Chieftain in the 4th for Hough - $950,000 Son of Giant's Causeway out of a G1 producing mare - gelded.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
Check out Giant Chieftain in the 4th for Hough - $950,000 Son of Giant's Causeway out of a G1 producing mare - gelded.
Based on his race record, what stud fee would you be willing to pay to breed to Giant Chieftain?
While I would be pretty pissed off that I paid 950k, and he's stuck in a 2 other than and gelded as a 4 year old, the Robsham's have been with Stan Hough for a long time and know his routine. I also don't think that Hough called one day and said "Oh by the way Mrs. R, I gelded that Giant's Causeway colt you spent almost a million dollars for." I'm sure she (or at least her racing manager) had some say in the deed.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

The interesting Hough runner, to me, for the same owner, I believe, is Trippi's Storm. Didn't cost much but is certainly more valuable as a stallion given his improvement when switched to turf. Bet they wish he hadn't been gelded. Then again, maybe he doesn't get good unless he's gelded. I don't have the data but I wonder if he was gelded BEFORE they tried him on the turf. Gelding TS is bad enough but HOugh also made some errors in training with him and cost the owner at least a grade one and some nice bucks. Then again, given all the high priced horses that seem to not work out for them, they probably can afford it.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Woodbine

Agreed TFM, I'm not sure but I do think Trippi Storm was cut before he tried turf. Forgot about that one, it would tick me off too.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
I'm getting more and more steamed with the ongoing CASTRATION of race horses, and I thought it might be a good idea to see if I can get some data to support my opinions. At present, off the top of my head, here's my list

1) Wesley Ward --- don't even think about bring a colt into his barn --cut 'em right after you buy them

2) Stanley Hough -- allow a colt or two every so often but their nuts are GONE typically by the end of the year

3) Pat Reynolds --- the CLAIM and CUT trainer

With all the focus on juicing and all the use of DRUGS in racing why is nothing written about the rampant castrating of horses? Is it because giving a horse TESTOSTERONE after it's been cut is fine?
Colts are from Mars.

Fillies are from Venus.

Geldings are from Heaven.

I think you are right and wrong at the same time. If a horse is capable of running well and being somewhat manageable then why geld, but if either of those aren't the case why wouldn't you give it a sho? So many horses benefit from the procedure with so little to lose.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
The interesting Hough runner, to me, for the same owner, I believe, is Trippi's Storm. Didn't cost much but is certainly more valuable as a stallion given his improvement when switched to turf. Bet they wish he hadn't been gelded. Then again, maybe he doesn't get good unless he's gelded. I don't have the data but I wonder if he was gelded BEFORE they tried him on the turf. Gelding TS is bad enough but HOugh also made some errors in training with him and cost the owner at least a grade one and some nice bucks. Then again, given all the high priced horses that seem to not work out for them, they probably can afford it.
And why would anyone pay to breed to Trippi's Storm? HUH?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
And why would anyone pay to breed to Trippi's Storm? HUH?
Yeah; turf stallions aren't of much value.

However, the point is that GRADE 1 winning turf stallions are MORE VALUABLE than geldings without grade 1's.

Got anything interesting to add?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Dee Tee Stables

seems there are plenty of good stallions around, and not so sure that more need to be added to the mix.
also, not a given that many geldings who turn out good would turn out so well if kept intact.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Yeah; turf stallions aren't of much value.

However, the point is that GRADE 1 winning turf stallions are MORE VALUABLE than geldings without grade 1's.

Got anything interesting to add?
Trippi has been an OK Florida based stallion. I believe he ran for Robsham if anyone ever wanted a son of Trippi to stand and succeeed it would be Robsham right? So my point is it's hard enough to book Trippi now you want want Robsham to try and make a son of Trippi who was OK on the turf with an average pedigree. I know the guy is super wealthy but have a heart. How many mares does this guy have to buy to give a Trippi's Storm a realistic shot. So I guess cutting the guy and having a nice turfer made more sense then hoping and investing in making him a legit stallion.

BTW his only value was as a racehorse that Hough and Robsham used to flatter Trippi Period
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they gelded him before his first start in NY. I agree that they ended up screwing that horse up. I wonder if he ends up coming back. Hasn't had any workouts but I don't remember hearing that he was retired.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiaco
Based on his race record, what stud fee would you be willing to pay to breed to Giant Chieftain?
While I would be pretty pissed off that I paid 950k, and he's stuck in a 2 other than and gelded as a 4 year old, the Robsham's have been with Stan Hough for a long time and know his routine. I also don't think that Hough called one day and said "Oh by the way Mrs. R, I gelded that Giant's Causeway colt you spent almost a million dollars for." I'm sure she (or at least her racing manager) had some say in the deed.
It's not like the horse is going to all of a sudden be a monster when he's gelded. Might as well save the genetics and breed him to a few mares and see what happens. Not every stud has to be marketable and worth $100K a pop.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
So I guess cutting the guy and having a nice turfer made more sense then hoping and investing in making him a legit stallion.

BTW his only value was as a racehorse that Hough and Robsham used to flatter Trippi Period
He was good before they cut him. And ya, they were really trying to flatter Trippi - they ran the horse like 10 times on dirt before switching him to turf.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
It's not like the horse is going to all of a sudden be a monster when he's gelded. Might as well save the genetics and breed him to a few mares and see what happens. Not every stud has to be marketable and worth $100K a pop.
I'm not saying every stallion has to stand for 100k, but given how he's performed I would not even shell out $1,000 to breed to him. There are enough stallions that shouldn't be standing as it is. Didn't see the down side of gelding him since there must have been reasons to cut him.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Oaklawn

Trippi ran for Dogwood, not the Robshams. If a colt is hard to manage (Balto Star) or runty (like Kelso) or downright vicious (Forego) or a ridgeling who has some discomfort (Funny Cide) they will never attain their peak on the track anyhow so the owners buck it up and geld. Based on the percentage of horses that end up being truly valuable (or more realistically, financially viable) as a stallion, it's usually a safe bet. Everyone like to play "what if?" games when a gelding becomes a superstar.
Look at it this way: If a well bred colt can't get through the NW1 level how viable is he really as a stud prospect? Geld him, win a few stakes and everyone second guesses you. What they don't realize is that with his b@lls, he was never going to BE a stakes horse.
Everyone reads about the monster stud deals for horses like Street Sense or Big Brown but most decent graded horses get sold for a few hundred thousand which you could easily make with your newly minted gelding.

Last edited by Linny : 06-02-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
He was good before they cut him. And ya, they were really trying to flatter Trippi - they ran the horse like 10 times on dirt before switching him to turf.
I know End Sweep turned out to be a surprisingly decent turf sire, but when did that reputation extend to Trippi, a horse who made a career out of winning 7f Grade 2 races on dirt?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Del Mar

I completely understand your argument. With Hough, though, there may not have been a reason to geld. Personally if I shelled out $950K for a colt I'd be trying to get something back - and if the horse isn't very good - you've probably got a better chance doing it in the shed than on the track. He's actually not THAT bad of a horse, though.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
I know End Sweep turned out to be a surprisingly decent turf sire, but when did that reputation extend to Trippi, a horse who made a career out of winning 7f Grade 2 races on dirt?
Switching Trippi's Storm had nothing to do with them trying to flatter Trippi.