Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2021, 05:14 PM
Keeneland

Default Does Santa Anita Care?

Yesterday they take multiple graded stakes off grass, including a grade 1. I legit can't remember the last time a grade 1 came off the grass.

Their encore today was taking the 7th and 9th off the grass AFTER the pick 5 started.

I understand they don't want to take races off the turf and that weather is unpredictable at times, but it just seems like one bad decision after another.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:55 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Yesterday they take multiple graded stakes off grass, including a grade 1. I legit can't remember the last time a grade 1 came off the grass.

Their encore today was taking the 7th and 9th off the grass AFTER the pick 5 started.

I understand they don't want to take races off the turf and that weather is unpredictable at times, but it just seems like one bad decision after another.
I was thinking this morning if they wanted to save wear and tear-they should have run the Graded stakes on the turf yesterday and all others off the turf both days.

I guess it is unreasonable to expect them to have a handle on the weather and choose to take one or more off before the start of the Pick 5. I'd rather them miss every now and again rather then races taken off after the start of the Pick 5.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:55 PM
Jerome Park

I'm not defending them, and Dahoss knows how I feel in general, but couldn't you argue it might be better overall taking it off after the first leg so that both races become ALL races as opposed to hoping everyone that bet knew?

They probably should have seen the weather coming and made an earlier call but at least with the ALL situation people don't get totally screwed.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:55 AM
Washington Park

I agree with that Andy.