Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Saratoga

Default Rejoice Apaaaache Cat Brothahs and Sistahs!

Cat to kick off in Lightning
Story By Jason Hickson

Thursday, 10 January 2008: Top sprinter/miler Apache Cat will kick off his autumn campaign in next month's Group 1 Lightning Stakes at Flemington.

But the latter end of his campaign remains up in the air with trainer Greg Eurell in a quandary as to where to send the popular chestnut.

Eurell said EI restrictions made it very hard to plan an interstate campaign so he will race in Victoria until the picture becomes clearer.

“He's come back from the paddock in top order and everything's fine,” Eurell said. “We've got the Lightning penciled in first-up, then there's the Australia Stakes a fortnight later at Moonee Valley.

“Beyond that it's hard to say. In Sydney the Ryder and Doncaster are the most likely two races if he goes there, and this year I'm thinking about Queensland where he'd probably race in the Doomben 10,000 and Stradbroke.

“But with the EI protocols it's impossible to plan too far ahead at the moment so he'll race here in Victoria until we find out what we can do.”

Apache Cat had only three runs in the spring, winning both the Bletchingly and Liston Stakes before finishing runner-up behind Marasco in the Makybe Diva Stakes.

Last year in Sydney he finished third and fifth in the George Ryder Stakes and Doncaster Handicap behind Haradasun.

Meanwhile Eurell is expecting a big improvement from Wavelength in the final race at Caulfield on Saturday.

The mare finished last fresh-up over 1200m at the same track in the Listed Christmas Stakes on Boxing Day but in easier grade and over a longer journey on Saturday should run a much better race.

“It was a pretty unsuitable race but she had to get going somewhere,” Eurell said. “It's a much better race for her this time and she has a few things in her favour. I'd expect a big improvement from her but she still has a way to go.”

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/ra...asp?NID=118908
Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
here we go! good luck msc...as long as they aren't swingin or stranglin i love all cat horsies
This means you're a sistah, right?

Our boy!

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/75959...4831B75F48EF45
Old 01-15-2008, 02:18 AM
TierceSurprise

Hooray horray hooray!!! Will be interesting to see if Here De Angels races as well.. GO APACHE!!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Saratoga

http://www.thoroughbrednews.co.nz/sp...cing/?id=33188
Old 01-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Saratoga

Cat ready for Lightning return
Story By Jason Hickson

Wednesday, 23 January 2008: Cranbourne trainer Greg Eurell believes Apache Cat has returned to the stable “as well as ever” and is ready for a big autumn campaign.

The lightly-raced five-year-old won both the Bletchingly and Liston Stakes at his first two runs of last campaign before finishing runner-up behind Marasco in the Makybe Diva Stakes before another spell.

Eurell said the Lightning Stakes would be the starting point for the gelding in what is shaping as a hot field.

Apache Cat has an excellent fresh-up record with three wins and two minors from six starts. The only time he has raced over the 1000m journey was on debut which he won.

“It's a nice race to start off with but certainly a tough one, that's for sure,” Eurell said.

“It will be the toughest test he's had first-up but we thought we'd give him the opportunity to mix it with the real speedsters and see what he can do from there.”

Eurell said Apache Cat has had a good break, made longer by an adverse reaction to the EI inoculation, but was confident he would return to his best form this campaign.

“From the Lightning we'll probably go to the Australia Stakes then we'll decide where to go from there. There's plenty of options around for him.”

The Group 1 Coolmore Lightning Stakes is over 1000m down the straight at Flemington on February 3.

The Timbercorp Australia Stakes, also a Group 1 race, is over 1200m at Moonee Valley a fortnight later.

Eurell said he would then look at not only races in Melbourne but also Sydney and perhaps even the Brisbane winter carnival.

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/ra...asp?NID=119590
Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Saratoga

Oh Yes He Can!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Tropical Park

He did it!!...

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/int...kes-score.aspx