Old 09-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Saratoga

Default Sprinters Stakes

PPs.....

http://japanracing.jp/_news2007/pdf/070928.pdf

The barrier draw.....

http://japanracing.jp/_news2007/070928.html

Form.....

Suzuka Phoenix: The class horse of the field, who won the Grade 1 Takamatsunomiya Kinen in March this year, before getting a long way back and finishing well for 5th in the Grade 1 Yasuda Kinen. A son of Sunday Silence with champion Japanese jockey Yutaka Take expected to ride, so everything points to this horse being the favorite for the race, and being very very hard to hold out.

Sans Adieu: Blew away a Grade 2 field of sprinters in the record time of 1:07.1 last start in the Centaur Stakes (the 5th leg of the Global Sprint Challenge) when winning by 5 lengths. Started her career on dirt, but has really shown she can be a top sprinter on turf, and in this race she will certainly not be at the 30/1 quote she was last time. Has to be one of the favorites after her last effort.

Aston Machan: A 3yo filly who’s 2yo and early spring efforts had all of Japan believing she could become one of Japan’s top sprinters later this year. After being just beaten by the subsequent Derby winning filly Vodka in last year’s 2yo Grade 1 race for fillies over 1600m, she won the 1400m Principal race Fillies Revue easily in March in the very fast time of 1:21.8. She disappointed in the Grade 1 Oka Sho (the Japanese 1000 Guineas equivalent) but was sent out an odds-on favorite in the Kitakyushu Kinen last start. Will likely pay to forgive that run when she seemed unhappy being restrained in the run, before finishing the race in the worst part of the track to finish 6th. Will likely try and lead here and will be very hard to run down.

Couverture: Another promising 3yo filly who looks to be a very good sprinter. Raced in the worst part of the track but still finished 3rd in the 1000m straight race at the Niigata racecourse – the Ibis Summer Dash, before winning impressively in the Keeneland Cup at the Sapporo racetrack last start. Is sure to be thereabouts.

Koiuta: Winner of the high level Principal race Victoria Mile over 1600m in May. She did seem to have everything her own way that day, and as expected, struggled in the US when she finished last in a 9 horse field in the $1m CashCall Mile at Hollywood Park in July. Being brought back to 1200m for the first time in 2 years, but she has won 2 out of 3 at the distance, so connections will be hoping for a forward showing here.

Lohengrin: An interesting runner here. Has always shown loads of ability, but has never been able to break through at Grade 1 level, although he does have placings at that level all over the world. Is a very fast horse, and the switch back to 1200m here could suit, but he is already an 8yo, and it may all be too late.

Black Bar Spin: A consistent US-bred son of Put It Back who always seems to be thereabouts, but seems to find a bit extra on wet tracks. Has ability and should finish well, but any rain would greatly help his chances.

I'll Love Again: A model of consistency, and was rewarded in March when he broke through for his first win at Principal race level (The Ocean Stakes). He has a good record at Nakayama, and he comes into this race at his third run this preparation after a nice return from a spell when finishing well for 4th in the 1000m dash down the straight in the Ibis Summer Dash in mid July, before sticking on reasonably to finish 5th in the major lead-up for this race, the Centaur Stakes.

Agnes Raspberry: Another consistent performer who has been in fine form this summer, finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd in three of her past four starts - all at Principal race level. She does have a tendency to get back in her races which may have been a reason for her failure in the Centaur Stakes last start when disappointing in finishing 9th as 2nd favorite. She will have lost favor with a lot of Japanese punters here, but she does have ability.

Orewa Matteruze: One of few Grade 1 winners in the field, but his form has been ordinary over the past year. He had followers in the Centaur Stakes with Yutaka Take on board, but he could only finish 11th. He is now a 7yo, and the son of Sunday Silence will be big odds here.

Kyowa Roaring: Winner of the Kitakyushu Kinen, when finding the best part of the track. That was his first principal race win (at his 30th career start), but he had few admirers in the Centaur Stakes last start and could only finish 7th. He will be big odds here again, but he is by Sunday Silence.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Bowie

peer gynt
Old 09-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Saratoga

Not sure yet but i know I'll Love Again will be right up there.....
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Saratoga

On your boy.

Excerpt.....

Peer Gynt was the only entry among the 16 to work out on Thursday, closing a six-furlong run with 12.0 seconds in the last 200 meters. Like many, trainer Kojiro Hashiguchi’s 5-year-old has had his summer plans derailed by the flu, but the Sunday Silence son didn’t show signs of being affected by it in training with race rider Hiroyuki Uemura on board. The Takamatsunomiya Kinen runner-up has not had a tune-up ahead of Sunday’s race, but Hashiguchi still beamed with confidence. “Ideally, it probably would have been better to use him once before the Sprinters Stakes, but
he usually runs well after a break. He’s really in form at the moment. In the spring, we were experimenting but now he has the record to show for it. I’m not the least bit worried.”
Old 09-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Saratoga

A reminder... this will be on TVG tonight.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Saratoga

Since no one else is really interested, here...

Your boy's training clip.

http://www.jra.go.jp/keiba/thisweek/...raining/14.asx

I kinda like Couverture..... Couverture, I'll Love, Peer in one order or another.

Good luck to Ms. Raspberry too even though I don't think this is her day, and to the old man.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 09-30-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Saratoga

Jesus, is there a reason the tvg people have to interrupt the commentary?

Between the quarters and these guys.....
Old 09-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Saratoga

Aston Marchan wins, Sans Adeiu, I'll Love Again
Old 09-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Suffolk Downs

Is Mon Vert beatable here?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Suffolk Downs

NOPE
Old 09-30-2007, 07:50 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Aston Marchan wins, Sans Adeiu, I'll Love Again
Just watched the replay. She was VERY quick out of the gates and they never saw which way she went.

She looks very good over these sprint distances.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Saratoga

Replay.....

http://www.jra.go.jp/JRADB/asx/2007/...704060811h.asx