Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I actually didn't like Keeneland at all. The sun shining in your eyes the entire time was so incredibly obnoxious that it could have ruined the whole experience by itself. In addition to that it was way too crowded and the majority of the people there seemed way more interested in being seen and looking important than in actually being there to view the races. They also let any yahoo wander into the paddock that wanted to (mostly the people wanting to be seen) so you wound up with about 200 people in the paddock for every horse. So if you are outside of the paddock you can't possibly see anything which kind of defeats the purpose of the paddock in the first place. Placing bets was also a pain in the butt. There were several other things I didn't like about it but those are the ones that immediately jump to mind.
You basically summed up my Keeneland experience.

Give me Saratoga anytime over Keeneland.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Maybe it'll rain

Thanks all for the sincere responses. I'm pretty certain he is driving to Keeneland. (I will be driving when I go.) He's going April 7th. I assume that's a Saturday. I'll try to go during the week or when Sumwonlovesyou is running. He's never been to any track before and all of this is new to him. God help him, I'm going to try and tell him what to look for in a horse without readig the PPs. His first time I don't want to turn it into homework. He likes the event. The party. While I am content to yell at a TV but will go to Kentucky horse park and Keeneland this year.

Thanks again you're a big help
Old 03-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
AEW, a lot of questions about Keeneland have been covered downstairs in the Get-Together thread. You may want to read that those posts as well.

It can be stuffy, but ignore them all. See-and be-seen is all they have going for them and that's surely not your concern. Who cares?

You can enjoy your time by the saddling ring, while the swells and the hangers-on flood the paddock, but still the horses are your interest. And that rail is the place to see everything you want regarding horseflesh. Then, make your wager and head out front to the apron on your bench, on the rail, or in reserved seats in the grandstand. It doesn't matter.

You'll have a great time.
Amen. Best piece of advice I've seen on this thread.

I've never been to Keeneland, but hope that everyone has a great time!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Turf Paradise

Although I agree somewhat with the negative comments, esp the crowding and the windows, Keeneland is great beyond the track because of the whole Lexington experience- and when you pick the right day, as in when there isn't a big college/high school crowd, it's a lovely place to see live racing. The surrounding area with incredible stud farms, Old Friends, great towns like Midway, the KY Horse Park, all makes a trip worthwhile.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Keeneland

Lexington Herald-Leader, Thursday, April 12, 2007 .... Lexington Police and Keeneland Security are investigating a series of incidents which occured at historic Keeneland Race Course yesterday.

"We don't know if any of these events are related", said Rogers Beasley, Keeneland Director of Racing, " and fortunately our guests never experienced any interruption to their enjoyable day at the track. But we're interested in finding any connections."

Reports of odd occurrences began to filter in to Keeneland Security starting around 9:00am. Chuck Simon, a local horse trainer, was reportedly stalked from the training track back to the barn area by a group of people, estimated to be from 20-40 in number, chanting, "Some one loves you, some one loves you". Simon could not be reached for comment.

Backstretch workers reported later finding peppermint wrappers and bits of organic carrots strewn about paths near the barns. An unnamed groom in Barn 16 swears he saw this group himself. "They warn't makin' no trouble, warn't botherin' the horses none. They was just wanderin' around, happy, silly and grinnin like fools' ", lending credence to speculation that animal pacifist organizations are attempting to infiltrate Keeneland's backstretch area.

Keeneland Security investigated several reports that the smell of grilling bar-b-que, combined with thickening hickory smoke, was wafting from one of the end stone saddling stalls within the Keeneland paddock about two hours prior to start of the first race. All the saddling stalls were found empty, save for some used navy blue and lime green swizzle sticks spilling out into the grass paddock area. "We don't believe there was ever any real threat of fire", Keeneland Security reported.

There were several unconfirmed reports that local news anchors, broadcasting live prior to the first race from the paddock, repeatedly had to quell groups of spectators interrupting TV transmissions. "Every time I would start to say, 'This is Mark Brown, for WLEX-TV, live from Keeneland', these bozos would shout over my signout, "Props to DeeTeeeee, man! DeeTeeee rules! ". When Keeneland Security arrived, instigators had apparently escaped into the crowd. "They were reportedly wearing denim, so should have been easy to spot, but we couldn't find anybody".

The Kentucky Racing Authority also reported that they are investigating a possible wagering irregularity which occured immediately prior to the ninth race on Wednesday's card, where unusually large numbers of individual $2 win wagers were placed on a 20-1 entrant.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:49 PM
top predator.

great...very cute
Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default is Sumwon entered on April 11th or 12th ?

Howl... Great job. Thanks for the laugh
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Arlington Park

we've been for opening day in the fall. it was a blast ! horse racing friday afternoon and Alabama crushing the cats in football on saturday. GREAT weekend !
opening weekend in the fall UK usually plays a Big football game at night so everyone can go to the races all afternoon.
kentucky horse park was VERY cool also.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Monmouth Park

UK, ALWAYS sucks at football. They really, really do.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:

The curse of being TRUE BLUE. But we won a damn bowl this year!!!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...
Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman5581
The curse of being TRUE BLUE. But we won a damn bowl this year!!!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...
Did ya now? I'm happy for ya!!!

Y'all stayed in post season basketball play around 3 nights longer than "DOOK" did this year, so I know that one made ya smile!!

During the fall meet, when Keeneland is running and UK is playing at home, Lex is not only aggravating to drive around, but don't plan on dining without a reservation.

You won't eat until midnight....which, now and then, is fine, when with friends.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Did ya now? I'm happy for ya!!!

Y'all stayed in post season basketball play around 3 nights longer than "DOOK" did this year, so I know that one made ya smile!!

Curse the Laetner-ites!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Turf Paradise

Don't let any negative threads here discourage you from going to Keeneland. If you get the opportunity to go please do. It is a wonderful experience. Probably the most beautiful setting to watch horse racing.

Yes on some days there is some traffic (but we are not talking about Atlanta, Chicago, NYC, etc) and yes it can get crowded on some days.

My advice is to go and relax and enjoy the beautiful track setting and some of the most talented horses in the world. Walk around the grounds and enjoy some local painters or a small bluegrass quartet or slip into the sales pavilion to see where the big money is really spent. Stop in the gift shop and get you a nice hat or jacket. The new video screen and tote board are amazing.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Oaklawn

Agreed, anyone on here that says Keeneland is not a great experience either hasnt been or just likes to complain. I spend time inside, outside, upstairs, and downstairs..........unless you dont like beautiful women and good racing, it is always a great day. True, it draws more of a social crowd then most, but I dont see the harm.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Narragansett Park

I agree with Citycat - Keeneland is what you make it.

I go to Laurel frequently and dread the sight of a rundown facitlity that is lifeless. Then I get to see a bunch of crappy maidens, or beat up open claimers, ad naseum.

But when I go to Keeneland, I get to see decent horses and people enjoying the experience. I'm not into the snobby bluebloods either, and the well-to-do obnoxious kiddies can be a pain, but if you spill a little beer on them - oops - it's all good.

I wouldn't go on a weekend simply because I don't like big crowds, but that's just me. Last year I phoned ahead of time and was able to procure an owner's box the last Thursday of the meet. It was under cover out of the sun and comfortable, and the bar was close by so it was a fun day. I plan on being there April 26 and then I'll make Churchill on Opening Day for the Trial. And both of those places beat the hell out of going to Laurel, anyday.....
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
I agree with Citycat - Keeneland is what you make it.

I go to Laurel frequently and dread the sight of a rundown facitlity that is lifeless. Then I get to see a bunch of crappy maidens, or beat up open claimers, ad naseum.

But when I go to Keeneland, I get to see decent horses and people enjoying the experience. I'm not into the snobby bluebloods either, and the well-to-do obnoxious kiddies can be a pain, but if you spill a little beer on them - oops - it's all good.

I wouldn't go on a weekend simply because I don't like big crowds, but that's just me. Last year I phoned ahead of time and was able to procure an owner's box the last Thursday of the meet. It was under cover out of the sun and comfortable, and the bar was close by so it was a fun day. I plan on being there April 26 and then I'll make Churchill on Opening Day for the Trial. And both of those places beat the hell out of going to Laurel, anyday.....
I think this is key to whether or not someone would enjoy attending Keeneland during live racing. No question the track is smaller, which is why I prefer a more expansive track like Saratoga, Belmont and Churchill. Keeneland at it's best in my opinion is early morning during the sales...so beautiful and peaceful. I also greatly enjoyed going there in a summer afternoon to watch the simulcast in their outdoor tv's on the ground level. My heart belongs to Saratoga though.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Golden Gate

Quote:

Whoa back, Poppa Brooks is slowly turning it around. Always is such a strong word. Might not ever get to BCS status but top 25 isnt out of the question. Will you feel that way when we beat Louisville next year?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Sasquash
Whoa back, Poppa Brooks is slowly turning it around. Always is such a strong word. Might not ever get to BCS status but top 25 isnt out of the question. Will you feel that way when we beat Louisville next year?
Anytime you beat Lousiville in anything, trust me, I'm pleased for you. It's that Patino thing, you know. Doesn't matter, football, bastketball, baseball, soccer, who cares.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Jerome Park

If you're a racing fan then you simply owe it to yourself to go to Lexington. Yeah, Keeneland is small, yeah it gets crowded, but in today's world of dwindling attendance Keeneland is one of the few tracks left where people are excited to be at the races. For us, the confused who love something that everyone else seems to have forgotten, this is a place where we belong. Anybody that spends a lot of their time at the NY tracks knows the sad feeling on closing day at Saratoga, the last day for 10 1/2 months when we aren't outcasts, understands exactly what I mean.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Oaklawn

very well said.