Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Steve Byk

Default 4/28 DERBY/OAKS NOTES: Uncle Mo, St. John's River a.m. stars

Easy summary of the important morning machinations of Derby/Oaks participants Thursday as UNCLE MO couldn't have looked happier, heartier or more energetic 48 hours after his Tuesday breeze. The Indian Charlie colt dragged Hector Ramos twice around the Downs, looking at any moment like he would break into full flight if allowed. Whether he is healthy is not even a remote question based on his appearances so far this week, and his Sunday or Monday work figures to be the most anticipated and scrutinized of recent Derby Weeks...

ST.JOHNS RIVER was the major Thursday Oaks worker, and continues to make an outstanding impression. Her splits of :12.2, :23.3, :36.2 and 1:00.4 came with no real encouragement, and could not have been more beautifully laid down. She galloped out 6f in a modest 1:15.2, but had effectively started the work when breaking off in full flight at the three-quarter mark, so was in effect finishing up a 7th furlong on the gallop-out. Andy Leggio's Include daughter, a runner up at 8-1 to Andy McKeever's DAISY DEVINE in the Fair Grounds Oaks, may or may not be good enough to challenge R Heat Lightening and Joyful Victory, but she couldn't be moving toward the Lap for the Lillies any better...

The rest of the morning saw a parade of gallopers, with SHACKLEFORD again flashing his daily, business-minded circuits two and a half times around the oval under Tammy Fox, and will offer a work Friday or Saturday... MIDNIGHT INTERLUDE was back on the main after Tuesday's solid work in company with Mythical Power, and is a broad-backed, well-balanced looking colt that seems to have more to him at a lingering look than he did at first blush... ARCHARCHARCH, DECISIVE MOMENT and MUCHO MACHO MAN all went about their gallops professionally. Archarcharch is impossible not to like. He looks daily like a horse who is concerned that they may not let back him on the racetrack again if he doesn't please his handler and Jinks Fires who observes nearby from his pony...

Back to the gals a moment, as JOYFUL VICTORY deserves another mention for her daily routine of storming around the track with Larry Jones literally standing on her dashboard to keep her from running off. It's hard not to be on her as the Oaks key with the barn's Proud Spell success so easy to recall as a favorite moment of recent Kentucky springs... PLUM PRETTY, LILACS AND LACE, HOLY HEAVENS, KATHMANBLU and DAISY DEVINE, (fresh from her sharp work), all went through their gallops without incident or fanfare...
Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Belmont Park

good to hear TAP has Uncle Mo's medication corrected.. Lets see if the merch is still firing through his system in a few days.. We need Repole back in the mix ..Sure we do lol

Last edited by freddymo : 04-28-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Do to hear TAP has Uncle Mo's medication corrected.. Lets see if the merch is still firing through his system in a few days.. We need Repole back in the mix ..Sure we do lol
Have you been drinking already?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Aqueduct

Looks like Master of Hounds is Derby Bound,he withdrew from the 2000 Guineas
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Santa Anita

Thumbs up

Great update - thanks, Steve.

I just can't help myself, getting excited about next weekend...as always, I get a severe case of Derby Fever. Someday I'd like to be able to spend a week or two there pre-Derby and see these morning sessions.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
He is my biggest problem...my gut says he could blow this subpar field away, then again...it's strictly a guess whether he'll like the dirt at CD and his one 3yo race is generally enough for me to pitch a horse. Guess I'll have to make up my mind after the post draw, hopefully he'll at least jog around the track....Archarcharch seems the safer bet.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
Phew... What a relief. I wasn't 100% confident taking Demi O'Byrne's word for it yesterday.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
He is my biggest problem...my gut says he could blow this subpar field away, then again...it's strictly a guess whether he'll like the dirt at CD and his one 3yo race is generally enough for me to pitch a horse. Guess I'll have to make up my mind after the post draw, hopefully he'll at least jog around the track....Archarcharch seems the safer bet.
Ballydoyle horses definitely won't work at Churchill, at most would be a very very light gallop a few circuits. There will be absolutely no way to tell if he is handling the surface. It's just how they do it. I hold my position that I'll be stone shocked if he is in the superfecta.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
Ballydoyle horses definitely won't work at Churchill, at most would be a very very light gallop a few circuits. There will be absolutely no way to tell if he is handling the surface. It's just how they do it. I hold my position that I'll be stone shocked if he is in the superfecta.
I know, hoping he'll jog and come back with a big smile (lol). Like I said, he's a major problem for me, you are probably right but I've watched his UAE Derby a dozen times and find little not to like about his race, translating to CD? Who knows??
Old 04-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Great update - thanks, Steve.

I just can't help myself, getting excited about next weekend...as always, I get a severe case of Derby Fever. Someday I'd like to be able to spend a week or two there pre-Derby and see these morning sessions.
My pleasure OD. Though I now have to be ready for airtime at 9a, the mornings remain the best part of the Derby experience. And I find being one of the only members of the non KY-based media here for the 2 weeks, it's only me and Mike Welsch, makes a big difference in the coverage. Try to get here for a Derby. It'll be an unforgettable trip.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Aqueduct

Is the track drying nice at least up there today? Just curious since it suppose to rain Oaks Day and sun all day Sat
Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoxfan View Post
Have you been drinking already?
just typo
Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
I know, hoping he'll jog and come back with a big smile (lol). Like I said, he's a major problem for me, you are probably right but I've watched his UAE Derby a dozen times and find little not to like about his race, translating to CD? Who knows??
Other than the fact that he was beaten by a filly: (1) who only, in England last fall, only had a maiden win from three starts; (2) was not even ridden in the UAE Derby by Godolphin's "go" rider; and (3) in the future odds for the Epsom Oaks is listed as the 12-1 fourth choice.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
was not even ridden in the UAE Derby by Godolphin's "go" rider.
For what its worth, Khawlah would never have been ridden by anyone other than Barzalona, because she was carrying 116 and he was the only one to pull that over there. It was probably the difference in the race.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
For what its worth, Khawlah would never have been ridden by anyone other than Barzalona, because she was carrying 116 and he was the only one to pull that over there. It was probably the difference in the race.
That's interesting. What weight does Dettori normally do?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Santa Anita

Forgive me if it's been brought up somewhere and I've just missed it (I haven't had time to catch ATR today yet), but have they decided for sure that Arienza's going to the Oaks? I thought I remembered another race under consideration at Churchill.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/kentucky-oa...-beyer-glasses I saw Mike Watchmaker's Oaks prep Beyers article, and she was listed third to R Heat Lightning and Plum Pretty. Of course, they might not think she's ready yet. How bad was Arienza's BSF for the Fantasy if Joyful Victory's was, I assume, either that 82 or 83 that Mike lists?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Flemington

Mucho Macho Man is being sponsored by 3M for all 3 races of the Triple Crown:

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110428007355/en
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post

Awww, another feel good story.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post

As a Biffle fan I have to bet him now
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Forgive me if it's been brought up somewhere and I've just missed it (I haven't had time to catch ATR today yet), but have they decided for sure that Arienza's going to the Oaks? I thought I remembered another race under consideration at Churchill.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/kentucky-oa...-beyer-glasses I saw Mike Watchmaker's Oaks prep Beyers article, and she was listed third to R Heat Lightning and Plum Pretty. Of course, they might not think she's ready yet. How bad was Arienza's BSF for the Fantasy if Joyful Victory's was, I assume, either that 82 or 83 that Mike lists?
Dan Peitz was quoted in an article on DRF saying Arienza will probably go in the Eight Belles

http://www.drf.com/news/derby-trial-...kentucky-derby