Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Don't disagree with the hole Calvin was trying to go through being most likely on the smaller side. I'm just saying, I think Calvin was like 10 percent in the wrong and Castellano 90 percent.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
If there was a question anywhere in your slew of posts, I didn't see it.

Which explains things.
It explains that people don't read other people's posts or half-ass read them.

Here's the question - now posted for the 3rd time -

<<I asked before and no one responsed - did it or did it not look like Calvin gave Martin an assist in getting him back into his saddle when he became unseated.>>

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Sunshine Park

Princess, I also thought it looked like Calvin sort of stuck his arm out and gave Martin Garcia a boost, or whatever you want to call it. I wondered if I was seeing things, too.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
Princess, I also thought it looked like Calvin sort of stuck his arm out and gave Martin Garcia a boost, or whatever you want to call it. I wondered if I was seeing things, too.
That is what I thought I saw, as well. Calvin could have come out of this a hero. He should have left the "punishment" of JC to the stewards. Instead, he goes off like a mindless maniac.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Don't disagree with the hole Calvin was trying to go through being most likely on the smaller side. I'm just saying, I think Calvin was like 10 percent in the wrong and Castellano 90 percent.
The incident was 0% Borel's fault.

Javier had 31/1 longshot Atoned right in front of him - and a 50/1 Morning line horse Romp right to his outside - and because the pace was slow and the field was bunching up ... those two rats weren't fading yet... even at the start of the far turn.

He was basically stuck in a trap - and the only way out of the trap was for the huge longshot Garcia was on to fade which would allow him a way out.

Think of someone that's supposed to be slow directly in front of you - someone that's supposed to be very slow to your outside - and a rail to your inside... and here's the far turn.

His only way out of a trap was to physically shove the bum horse to his outside out of the way and make his own room.

Borel was following the eventual winner and was in the process of knifing his way through a tiny hole when Garcia was forced into him - shutting the door on him.

If Javier doesn't do that ... after the race .. when you study the replay .. you're going to say "Castallano got his horse trapped in a bad spot" - and "what an absolutely great ride by Borel!"

I don't think you can fault Borel for the spot he was in - if anything - you have to credit him because he wasn't on a big favorite .. he was on a horse who probably needed a perfect trip to win and he was in the process of giving him a gem of a ride.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Sunshine Park

It did also look to me like Castallano touched Borel first and that's what sent Borel into orbit. I'm not defending Borel, but I gotta say if someone reaches out to touch me in an aggressive manner after doing something I perceived as wrong and potentially life threatening, I'm jumping on them.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
It did also look to me like Castallano touched Borel first and that's what sent Borel into orbit. I'm not defending Borel, but I gotta say if someone reaches out to touch me in an aggressive manner after doing something I perceived as wrong and potentially life threatening, I'm jumping on them.
Borel technically touched Castallano first. He went over to him - put his finger in his face - started screaming in his face and touched his face with his finger.

Castallano swung at him first - but Borel was basically going to belittle him and shout at him until Javier did something about it.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:12 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
The incident was 0% Borel's fault.

Javier had 31/1 longshot Atoned right in front of him - and a 50/1 Morning line horse Romp right to his outside - and because the pace was slow and the field was bunching up ... those two rats weren't fading yet... even at the start of the far turn.

He was basically stuck in a trap - and the only way out of the trap was for the huge longshot Garcia was on to fade which would allow him a way out.

Think of someone that's supposed to be slow directly in front of you - someone that's supposed to be very slow to your outside - and a rail to your inside... and here's the far turn.

His only way out of a trap was to physically shove the bum horse to his outside out of the way and make his own room.

Borel was following the eventual winner and was in the process of knifing his way through a tiny hole when Garcia was forced into him - shutting the door on him.

If Javier doesn't do that ... after the race .. when you study the replay .. you're going to say "Castallano got his horse trapped in a bad spot" - and "what an absolutely great ride by Borel!"

I don't think you can fault Borel for the spot he was in - if anything - you have to credit him because he wasn't on a big favorite .. he was on a horse who probably needed a perfect trip to win and he was in the process of giving him a gem of a ride.
Spot on analysis.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
I don't believe what JC did today was intentional
100% intentional when you study it.

I'm sure he probably would have felt bad if Garcia fell... but Javier had a lot of horse and was really in the stages of being stuck in a bigtime trap at a decisive point in the race.

A slow horse in front of him - a rail to his left - and an equally slow horse to his right.

I guess you can also blame Garcia's horse for not fading .. but that's about it.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
It explains that people don't read other people's posts or half-ass read them.

Here's the question - now posted for the 3rd time -

<<I asked before and no one responsed - did it or did it not look like Calvin gave Martin an assist in getting him back into his saddle when he became unseated.>>
Yeah, I guess.

Maybe it's that it's a ridiculous question?

I noticed no such thing, but I wasn't obsessed with watching it over and over again either.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Credit him for trying to go through a non existant hole? In retrospect the horse didn't need a perfect trip at all. It's not like he was a hopeless longshot.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Credit him for trying to go through a non existant hole? In retrospect the horse didn't need a perfect trip at all. It's not like he was a hopeless longshot.
The horse stinks, Calvin figured he had one way to win. The hole looked there to me.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
The horse stinks, Calvin figured he had one way to win. The hole looked there to me.
Now I know I'm right.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Borel technically touched Castallano first. He went over to him - put his finger in his face - started screaming in his face and touched his face with his finger.

Castallano swung at him first - but Borel was basically going to belittle him and shout at him until Javier did something about it.
Ah, I missed that first finger in the face.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Flemington

Borel's horse was loaded...... J.C. cost him about 20k (10k for sure.) It was a move that cost Borel a lot of dough. I'm not surprised he's that upset.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Golden Gate

A very healthy dicussion on yesterday's high point of entertainment. If we were still talking about it today then Zenyatta is not the champion we thought she was. By the way, did you notice there's really not anything about this in today's on-line DRF?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Yeah, I guess.

Maybe it's that it's a ridiculous question?

I noticed no such thing, but I wasn't obsessed with watching it over and over again either.
Well, maybe (if you're interested) you should watch it again, and it was the tv that kept replaying the incident not me rewinding the tape.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
After things cooled down, Calvin handled it way better than ESPN.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Sam Houston

I saw what Princess Doreen saw . . Calvin clearly gave Garcia a boost. Whatever happened in the Winners Circle, he did the right thing (understatement!) on the track.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
This isn't football and what happened today was unprecedented - at least in any of the major races that have been on national tv.

Even Calvin's wife was giving him a ration of it to calm himself down.

Calvin proved himself to be a hot headed punk today. I think his future as a jockey is very much in jeopardy.

Omg...are you nuts? That's just nuts. Punk. Javier is the punk. They should have just let Calvin go and beat the piss out of him. You were the same one saying how awful this was. This isn't a cheer-leading competition.