Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
that's what i thought you said...so why shouldn't it be criminal? take your time cause i gotta go, i think my cat caught my sore throat and she is not happy-sweet dreams
I think it should be totally illegal. I think there are plenty of horses out there running that should not be running.

I think they need to make major changes. I think that all vet work done on a racehorse should be made public. I know it will probably never happen but it should. They make it public when a horse goes on lasix. Why should lasix be the only thing made public?

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 09-20-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
I've tapped horses (some both knees and ankles) 10 times and they won, won ,won. It has NOTHING to do with the number of times you tap. It's who's watching, who's doing it and WHAT comes OUT in the syringe.

So some moron saw a horse with a big ankle. Means nothing.

This is hopeless. Just wanted to show you why I don't bother to explain things. You want answers, it's still $1500 an hour.

Dixie
I never said that is was always bad or always dangerous to inject a horse. It depends on the situation. I never said it didn't matter what was in the needle.

Yeah, the trainer who told me how bad those two horses' ankles looked is a real moron. He's only one of the best trainers in the country. And it obviously did mean something because the one horse never ran again and the other horse took 8 months off.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother responding to you any more It's a waste of time.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 09-20-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
came in to turn this off so in light of what u just said what makes lukas any better than those guys? is it his suits?

i guess this means richi's (it is richi, right?) saying that dwl is no better a person than a guy who runs cheap claimers into the ground to make a quick buck-if he's not saying it, if what he has said is true, i'm sayin it
Love the line about the suits . But I have always felt DWL pounded his fancy stock like claimers . The man's record though is impressive, but rest assured, many of his big buck purchases are toiling away in obscurity . The man had carte blanche at the sales. However there was a reason for it . He is a fabulous judge of precocious stock . That got him there and he rode the gravy train . His barn and horses are impeccably turned out . And so is he . Great business . I thought his quarter horse background would keep him from making a splash in the TC and longer BC races, but though it took awhile, I was wrong Many of his horses, however, failed to train on in maturity---not that this does not happen to other trainers especially very recently ---and Steinlen is one who comes to mind that raced successfully as an older horse . But he only GOT Steinlen as a mature individual . Though I do not like the man or his training regime, I thought he did a very good job with Charismatic--recognizing an innate ability to go long, despite the colt's class jump . In fairness, the Belmont breakkdown could have happened with another trainer, so I will not lump this in with other D. Wayne catastrophies like Union City which was rumored to be unsound before his Preakness fatality . I have no knowledge about Lukas' insurabilty on his horses, but a vet friend who interned at a prominent equine clinic told me that when Lukas sent horses there they were significantly damaged .
Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Randwyck

Have any of you guys seen the big signs that D. Wayne has at his barns, the one that says how many world champs he's trained and how many derby winners and blah blah blah. Baffert has the same kind of signs at his barn too.
I wonder why they dont have a sign posting how many horses they trained that never made it to the races or that never started after their 3 yr old year, or that broke down in races and in the mornings? I guess that wouldnt be condusive to getting clients and bragging huh.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 09-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu
Have any of you guys seen the big signs that D. Wayne has at his barns, the one that says how many world champs he's trained and how many derby winners and blah blah blah. Baffert has the same kind of signs at his barn too.
I wonder why they dont have a sign posting how many horses they trained that never made it to the races or that never started after their 3 yr old year, or that broke down in races and in the mornings? I guess that wouldnt be condusive to getting clients and bragging huh.
The same reason why you don't see Colleges put up banners indicating a losing season.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Exactly so .
Old 09-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I don't think most people even realize how extreme it is. Of all the yearlings and 2 year olds that Lukas gets, I would guess that no more than 1-2% of them are still running competively as 4 and 5 year olds. When do you ever see Lukas winning a race with a 4 or 5 year old? Practically never. I would guess that 98% of his horses don't last passed their 3 year old year. It has nothing to do with the horses being retired for breeding before they get that old. How many horses stand at stud? It can't be more than 5% of his horses. So that certainly doesn't explain 98% of his horses being retired ny the end of their 3 year old year.

If you look at trainers like Mandella, Frankel, Plethcer, etc. I'll bet that around 30-40% of their horses are still around and racing as 4 and 5 year olds. That's a helluva lot higher than 1% or 2%. It's possible that Lukas' number could be a tiny bit higher than my estimate. The number could be more like 5% if you count horses like Going Wild that are still running, but who aren't half the horse that they used to be. Going wild used to be competitive in graded stakes races. Now he can't even win an allowance race. If you count horses like him, then Lukas' number of horses still running as 4 and 5 year olds could possibly be about 5%. But if you are talking about horses that are still at the top of their game, then I think the number is about 1% or 2%.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 09-20-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Rupert's views on D Wayne = Brooklytracker's obsession with Jerry Bailey
Old 09-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Rupert with all due respect you are guessing at the percentages you have posted here. 2 of the other 3 trainers you have mentioned are a completely different kind of trainer than DWL, or Pletcher for that matter. Frankel and Mandella tend to be real patient with their horses, and only a select few race as two year olds. TP and DWL bread and butter is 2 and 3 year old racing. They are given the high priced horses, and have a responsibility to earn the blacktype, so they can be sold, or used as sires or broodmares. Seriously, as much as I like TP, do you really see him with a lot of 4 and 5 year olds. Hardly, just as you don't see Frankel and Mandella with a lot of 2 year olds. Also, Lukas has a ton of horses standing at stud, come on now.
Pletcher does very well with 4 and 5 year olds. He's winning stakes races all the time on both the turf and dirt with older horses. Pletcher has probably won 15-20 stakes races this year with older horses. Just this past weekend he won a $300,000 grass race with the 4 year old filly Ready's Gal at Woodbine. In addition, he's probably won 30 allowance races this with older horses. I think Lukas may have won 1 stakes race this year with an older horse.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 09-20-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
Pletcher does very well with 4 and 5 year olds. He's winning stakes races all the time on both the turf and dirt with older horses. Pletcher has probably won 15-20 stakes races this year with older horses. Just this past weekend he won a $300,000 grass race with the 4 year old filly Ready's Gal at Woodbine. In addition, he's probably won 30 allowance races this with older horses. I think Lukas may have won 1 stakes race this year with an older horse.
The more I think about it, Pletcher has probably won more like 30-40 stakes races this year with older horses. Just off the top of my head, thinking about Pletcher horses that ran the last couple of weekends, Go Deputy(6year old) comes to mind. He's won 3 races this year, two of which were graded stakes races. Pletcher had a 4 year old filly this past weekend at Belmont named Ever Elusive. She's won 2 allowance races and a stakes race this year.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Well, lets be realistic here, Lukas is no longer the same trainer he once was. In his prime he was a major force in most divisions. Pletcher may do well with the ones he has, but he has no older males making any noise, 2 older turf fillies, no sprinters. He is very loaded in the older filly and mare division, but so was Lukas back in the day.
The main thing that I'm talking about is the percentage of their horses that are still around as 4 and 5 year old and still running well. You can't compare Pletcher to Lukas. Pletcher has a very high percent of his horses that are still around running better than ever as 4 and 5 year olds. Lukas does not.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Well I disagree, if Pletcher has 200 or so horses, he has maybe 25 or so, max, still running at 4 or 5. What about Baffert, how many 4 or 5 year olds does he have running? Would you not agree that they are the three biggest when it comes to 2 and 3 year olds, and maybe add in Asmussen. How many 2 year olds does Frankel, Mandella, Drysdale run? Not many. They are different kinds of trainers.
That is true that Frankel, Mandella, and Drysdale are different types of trainers from Lukas. I agree with that. But even though they are different, they still do well with young horses. Mandella just won the Del Mar Futurity. He's won the BC Juvenille and the BC Juvenille Filly. The good trainers listen to their horses. Sure these guys want to win 2 year old races. Sure they want to win the Derby. But they're not going to push the horse if the horse isn't ready or if the horse is getting sore. That's my whole point.

I think Pletcher has more than 25 horses left out of 200. If that was all that he had left, he wouldn't be winning so many races with 4 and 5 year olds. He's won a ton of races with 4 and 5 year olds this year.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I know what Mandella has won, but it could go both ways. Lukas has won BC Classics, Distaffs, Sprints, Miles all with older. I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying about Mandella, Drysdale and Frankel. I may be a bit off with the number of older that Pletcher has, but I would bet it is no more than 1/3 of his operation, and that's how Lukas used to be. My point, and it was not to argue, was Baffert and Pletcher, to a slight degree are the same kind of trainer Lukas is, therefore their older horse numbers will never be the same with guys like Mandella or Frankel. Just like Mandella will never have the same kinds of numbers with 2 and 3 year olds as baffert and Lukas.
Baffert is somewhere in between. He is much harder on his horses than Mandella, Drysdale, Frankel, or Pletcher. Baffert works his horses very fast and they don't last nearly as long as the horses of those guys. But Baffert will stop on horses. You will see him turn horses out. He won't just keep running them after they have started to go bad. That is the big difference between him and Lukas. Baffert won't do nearly as well with older horses as Frankel and those guys, but he will do better than Lukas.

I think that Pletcher's numbers with older horses are just as good as Mandella and those guys. Pletcher is amazing. He does great in every category. He even does great with turf horses.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:34 PM
pgardn

Frankel keeping Ghostzapper together was an amazing feat. I have never liked the guys from interviews, etc... but the guy can get them to run. BT claims its the juice. I think he is very patient and careful.

Even though Lucas is a hall of fame trainer and has so many records, I dont get the feeling he would be to upset if Barbaro or LITF were his horses. Next please kinda thing. Just my feeling about him now.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Del Mar

One more thing. Pletcher has won over 120 turf races in 2005-2006. I bet you Lukas didn't win 120 turf races in the entire 1990s.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I agree, Pletcher is great. I guess I grew up thinking so highly about Lukas, which is why I am defending him.
I hear you.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Frankel keeping Ghostzapper together was an amazing feat. I have never liked the guys from interviews, etc... but the guy can get them to run. BT claims its the juice. I think he is very patient and careful.

Even though Lucas is a hall of fame trainer and has so many records, I dont get the feeling he would be to upset if Barbaro or LITF were his horses. Next please kinda thing. Just my feeling about him now.
Frankel rocks. If I had a horse in training it would go to him. I don't care about a trainer having people skills, it's horse skills that matter.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Jerome Park

Frankel is a great trainer but his " people skills " have alienated him from more owners than you would believe.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Frankel rocks. If I had a horse in training it would go to him. I don't care about a trainer having people skills, it's horse skills that matter.
One of very few trainers that wear jeans when their horse is the favorite in a 1/2 million dollar race, and get away with it. He could wear a speedo as long as my horse won and i would just have the cpu erase him LMAO
Old 09-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSE=GLUE
One of very few trainers that wear jeans when their horse is the favorite in a 1/2 million dollar race, and get away with it. He could wear a speedo as long as my horse won and i would just have the cpu erase him LMAO

It's way to early for the mental image of Frankel in a speedo! LOL