Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Higher start or higher fee with a five year average? You cant only count starting fee, its waht they generate total!!!
Either. The KD winners are just bigger money makers. However, the data is off because a horse like Seattle Slew likely would have won the BC Classic if it existed. However, farms value derby winners more than Classic winners for marketing reasons alone.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
Either. The KD winners are just bigger money makers. However, the data is off because a horse like Seattle Slew likely would have won the BC Classic if it existed. However, farms value derby winners more than Classic winners for marketing reasons alone.
yeah ole Giacomo oughta stand for at least 10 grand(and will never fill his book at that price)
Old 05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
yeah ole Giacomo oughta stand for at least 10 grand(and will never fill his book at that price)
Just like Cat Thief. The fact is that it is impossible to compare the two because the big money makers from the KD didn't run in the BC Classic. With horses like AP Indy and GZ the numbers may one day equal out, but Barbaro is likely to start at near $200,000 on a small book next year, if he can breed. I have actually heard it may go as high as $500K to start because of the demand right now and the possibility of only openings for 50 mares.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Monmouth Park

When it comes to trainers and jockeys it's about the money.But if your talking about owners like the Maktoums(wrong spelling i'm sure)or the late Bob Lewis and farms like Claiborne and others the money becomes secondary,and then it's about prestige.Do you think any of these Arab owners really need the money.Let's get real,what they make in horse racing is chump change to them.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Monmouth Park

I have asked that very question to a Derby winning trainer prior to winning the Derby and the answer was hands down the Derby. Most prestigous race in the world and it's one that changes lives forever....As far as owners go, once you get to that level what's 2 mil???
Old 05-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

All of the high dollar Stud Horses going now did nothing in the Derby. The high dollar fees are who right now? How many of them are Derby winners? I know that there are less Derby winners than the rest of them but hey it's going to happen that way. I'll go against the last 15 Derby winner 's with the last 15 BC Classic winners all day long. And if Cigar wasn't shooting blanks I'd be the winner in a landslide. Two geldings in the last how many Derby's? I wonder how many BC Classic winners were Geldings? I'm too lazy to look. H ah aha ha ahaaha aha
Old 05-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Saratoga

Arlington Million for me
Old 05-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Newmarket

How bout yesterday's race; the Met Mile. Very good milers on the track are the breeding future.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:56 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
How bout yesterday's race; the Met Mile. Very good milers on the track are the breeding future.
Great Point, talk about a sire making race!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
The myth that great milers make great sires is just that, a myth. Who are the great sires that were milers?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:12 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
The myth that great milers make great sires is just that, a myth. Who are the great sires that were milers?
Umm well Dr Fager, Fappiano, Storm cat was most effective at that distance, ummmm that alone should give you a pretty good start!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:13 PM
oracle80

Oh don't forget Distorted Humor, my current favorite sire, the way he steps up his mares is just incredible.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:14 PM
oracle80

But ah hell, we are graced with a guy who knows more about breeding than John Nerud, who has always said that. How lucky we are to have you in our midst!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Saratoga

From the ones I can see

Fappiano
Fit to Fight
Gulch(x2)
In Excess
Honour and Glory
Langfuhr
Cox's Ridge
Old 05-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Newmarket

I believe Danzig was in his very short career, also more recently Gulch, but some may say he isn't great yet. The future wave of great sire will probably be milers.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Umm well Dr Fager, Fappiano, Storm cat was most effective at that distance, ummmm that alone should give you a pretty good start!!!!
As for Dr. Fager, he owned track records at 9F and 10F, in fact many consider when he beat In Reality at 10F, the best race of his career.

Storm Cat wasn't a miler. He really wasn't anything.

Don't know enough about Fappiano, but can't remember more than one or two good Fappianos.

If those are the only three you can come up with, I think I made my point.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
But ah hell, we are graced with a guy who knows more about breeding than John Nerud, who has always said that. How lucky we are to have you in our midst!!!!

I can assure you I know more about breeding than you do. Dr. Fager a miler? That is hilarious. I guess Secretariat was a miler too. LOL
Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Saratoga

Here comes our first brawl
Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
From the ones I can see

Fappiano
Fit to Fight
Gulch(x2)
In Excess
Honour and Glory
Langfuhr
Cox's Ridge

not much there if you ask me.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Saratoga

In Excess and Honour and Glory are SOLID SOLID producers, both get at least 1 Grade 1 winner a year (this is not a fact, assumed but a solid assumption)