Steve Byk

OP Apple Blossom (G1): Letruska 102 (Super Saver) F. Gutierrez/I. Ortiz
OP Oaklawn H (G2): Silver State 101 (Hard Spun) S. Asmussen/R. Santana
OP Rainbow S: Blame J D 85 (Blame) A. Green/R. Vazquez
OP Rainbow Miss S: Hillary G 63 (Even the Score) T. Vance/D. Cabrera
OP 3yo MSW (8.5f): Stilleto Boy 85 (Shackleford) D. Anderson/F. Arrieta

KEE Doubledogdare S (G3): Bonny South 92 (Munnings) B. Cox/F. Geroux
KEE Elkhorn S (G2): Say the Word 98 (More Than Ready) P. D'Amato/L. Saez

AQU Memories Of Silver S: Bubbles On Ice-IRE 81 (Starspangledbanner-AUS) C. Clement/J. Castellano
AQU Woodhaven S: Hard Love 82 (Kitten's Joy) J. Thomas/J. Castellano
AQU New York Stallion S: Devious Mo 84 (Laoban) R. Rodriguez/M. Franco
AQU New York Stallion S: Shaker Shack 64 (Bustin Stones) P. Reynolds/J. Ortiz
AQU ALW/N1X (1m): Altaf 91 (Medaglia d'Oro) C. Brown/I Ortiz

SA Californian S (G2): Royal Ship-BRZ 108 (Midshipman) R. Mandella/M. Smith
SA Tokyo City Cup S (G3): Tizamagician 95 (Tiznow) R. Mandella/F. Prat
SA Kona Gold S (G3): Cezanne 106 (Curlin) B. Baffert/F. Prat
SA Mizdirection S: Constantia 92 (Munnings) J. Sadler/U. Rispoli

CT Original Gold S: Brigintine Island 79 (Jersey Town) J. McKee/R. Latchman

GN Grand National Timber S: Le Chevalier N/A (Broken Vow) J. Gomena/M. Hendriks

Last edited by Kasept : 04-19-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:18 AM
Keeneland

If Royal Ship got a 108 that means Country Grammar got a 106? 107?

Either the fig is way too high or Country Grammar really likes Baffert’s barn
Old 04-19-2021, 10:20 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
If Royal Ship got a 108 that means Country Grammar got a 106? 107?

Either the fig is way too high or Country Grammar really likes Baffert’s barn
The main track seems to have gotten quite a bit faster in the past week. However, Royal Ship was making his second start back after a brief layoff during which he was gelded. He got one of the worst rides of the year from Mike Smith in the Frank Kilroe last out (broke sharp, strangled to the back of the field, nearly pinballed between horses on the first turn, no effort to get position heading into the stretch, flew home late with too much to do).

A bit much from Country Grammer first off an 8-month layoff in a two-turn stakes, but he was transitioning from 3yo to 4yo and traded decisions last year with Mystic Guide who has upped his game this season. I presume Baffert has superior numbers off layoffs and a whole bevy of ex-NY allowance horses have become world-beaters in California over the past decade.

That said, if Independence Hall's effort was used as some sort of barometer, that's a mistake. The jock clearly wrapped up on the horse at the 1/16th pole (never mind that the horse gave up the ghost at the 1/8th pole) and allowed him to gallop the rest of the way. He was not "racing" when he hit the wire.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:25 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
The main track seems to have gotten quite a bit faster in the past week. However, Royal Ship was making his second start back after a brief layoff during which he was gelded. He got one of the worst rides of the year from Mike Smith in the Frank Kilroe last out (broke sharp, strangled to the back of the field, nearly pinballed between horses on the first turn, no effort to get position heading into the stretch, flew home late with too much to do).

A bit much from Country Grammer first off an 8-month layoff in a two-turn stakes, but he was transitioning from 3yo to 4yo and traded decisions last year with Mystic Guide who has upped his game this season. I presume Baffert has superior numbers off layoffs and a whole bevy of ex-NY allowance horses have become world-beaters in California over the past decade.

That said, if Independence Hall's effort was used as some sort of barometer, that's a mistake. The jock clearly wrapped up on the horse at the 1/16th pole (never mind that the horse gave up the ghost at the 1/8th pole) and allowed him to gallop the rest of the way. He was not "racing" when he hit the wire.
I actually bet Royal Ship in his first three starts in this country. Guess who I needed this time?

I’m not saying a 10 plus point bump isn’t possible but it’s pretty tough to improve off Chad Brown
Old 04-19-2021, 10:37 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I actually bet Royal Ship in his first three starts in this country. Guess who I needed this time?
Yeah, he was highly touted previously. I'm a bit surprised he was gelded. He was a win machine in Brazil while intact.

Quote:
I’m not saying a 10 plus point bump isn’t possible but it’s pretty tough to improve off Chad Brown
No doubt; Sadler found that out with Growth Engine--although that was a Chad Brown horse from New Jersey. A couple of years back, he did get Gift Box to become a monster at Santa Anita (although he deflated when he attempted to run out-of-town).

I think the long layoffs temper any trainer-to-trainer "move up". A big factor is that these back class horses that apparently have physical issues are afforded time off but more importantly get to come back in a jurisdiction where 5-horse fields are the norm. Most of these "races" flow like workouts rather than actual competitive events.