Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 AM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Exclamation BC NOTEBOOK: Classic; Distaff - FIELDS SET

Classic

American Pharoah (Bob Baffert/Victor Espinoza) 8-5
Beholder (Richard Mandella/Gary Stevens) 3-1
Honor Code (Shug McGaughey) 6-1
Tonalist (Christophe Clement/John Velazquez) 8-1
Gleneagles (Aidan O'Brien/Ryan Moore) 10-1
Smooth Roller (Victor Garcia/Tyler Baze) 12-1
Keen Ice (Dale Romans/Irad Ortiz Jr.) 15-1
Frosted (Kiaran McLaughlin/Joel Rosario) 15-1
Effinex (Jimmy Jerkens/Mike Smith) 30-1
Hard Aces (John Sadler/Joe Talamo) 30-1
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans

Last edited by Kasept : 10-21-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 AM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Default

Distaff

Beholder (Richard Mandella) N/A ~ Classic
Sheer Drama (David Fawkes) 3-1
Wedding Toast (Kiaran McLaughlin) 7-2
Untapable (Steve Asmussen) 5-1
I'm a Chatterbox (Larry Jones) 6-1
Got Lucky (Todd Pletcher) 8-1
Curalina (Todd Pletcher) 12-1
Stopchargingmaria (Todd Pletcher) 15-1
Frivolous (Victoria Oliver) 15-1
Stellar Wind (John Sadler) 15-1
Yahilwa (Jim Cassidy) 20-1
My Sweet Addiction (Marty Jones) 30-1
Salama (Charles LoPresti) 30-1
Warren's Veneda (Craig Lewis) 30-1
Calamity Kate (Kelly Breen) 30-1


AE Peace and War (Graham Motion) 30-1
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans

Last edited by Kasept : 10-21-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:12 AM
blackthroatedwind blackthroatedwind is offline
Jerome Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Distaff

Sheer Drama (David Fawkes) 3-1
Untapable (Steve Asmussen) 6-1
I'm a Chatterbox (Larry Jones) 8-1
Frivolous (Vicki Oliver) 12-1
Got Lucky (Todd Pletcher) 12-1
Wedding Toast (Kiaran McLaughlin) 12-1
Stopchargingmaria (Todd Pletcher) 15-1
Curalina (Todd Pletcher) 20-1
Stellar Wind (John Sadler) 20-1

Calamity Kate (Kelly Breen)
Lovely Maria (Larry Jones)
Peace and War (Graham Motion)
Salama (Fernado Sanchez)
Warren's Veneda (Craig Lewis)
Include Betty (Tom Proctor)

Who made Wedding Toast, who HAS to be favored, 12:1?????

Frankly, the entire line is absurd.
__________________
Just more nebulous nonsense from BBB
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Who made Wedding Toast, who HAS to be favored, 12:1????? Frankly, the entire line is absurd.
Note considerable revisions above.. Brad Free's odds.
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2015, 11:47 AM
blackthroatedwind blackthroatedwind is offline
Jerome Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Note considerable revisions above.. Brad Free's odds.
Why is Stellar Wind such a big price, especially relative to the other 3YOs?
__________________
Just more nebulous nonsense from BBB
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2015, 01:48 PM
FATPIANO's Avatar
FATPIANO FATPIANO is offline
Gulfstream Park
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: nys
Posts: 1,150
Default

love Beholder at 4-1
and
my sweet addiction at 30-1
__________________
Arrogate is the best horse since The Bid, and The Bid was better than Secretariat!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:07 PM
senator L senator L is offline
Ak-Sar-Ben
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 669
Default

wonder what the odds on Smooth Roller will be
He won a win and your in and should be inc for the classic
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 PM
RHT2004 RHT2004 is offline
Atlantic City Race Course
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator L View Post
wonder what the odds on Smooth Roller will be
He won a win and your in and should be inc for the classic
200-1.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-01-2015, 11:02 AM
bare it all's Avatar
bare it all bare it all is offline
Louisiana Downs
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator L View Post
wonder what the odds on Smooth Roller will be
He won a win and your in and should be inc for the classic
Odds on him bouncing to the moon? 2/5?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Default

Liam’s Map scheduled to work Sunday for Breeders’ Cup Classic
By Marty McGee

Weather permitting, trainer Todd Pletcher is scheduled to be at Keeneland on Sunday morning with John Velazquez and other New York-based jockeys for several important works, including one by Liam’s Map, a candidate for the Breeders’ Cup Classic.

Pletcher, second all time in Keeneland stakes wins (44) entering this meet behind only D. Wayne Lukas (50), has not been a major proponent of synthetic tracks and tended to back off with the numbers he sent here during the eight years of Polytrack at Keeneland. But with the Breeders’ Cup set for the end of the month, he’s back with a full barn of 36 for this meet, led by Liam’s Map, Rock Fall, Curalina, Race Day, Protonico, Sweet Whiskey, Jack Milton, Stopchargingmaria, and Uncle Vinny.
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Default

PHAROAH TO WORK ‘SATURDAY OR SUNDAY’ AT SANTA ANITA; COULD BE FINAL LOCAL BREEZE
By Mike Willman (Mike.willman@santaanita.com)

ARCADIA, Calif. (Oct. 2, 2015)—American Pharoah, the nation’s first Triple Crown winner in 37 years, could have his final Southern California workout “Saturday or Sunday,” according to his conditioner, Bob Baffert. A gallant second in the Grade I Travers Stakes at Saratoga on Aug. 29, Santa Anita-based American Pharoah is preparing for the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic at Keeneland Oct. 31. Plans are to ship the son of Pioneerof the Nile to Churchill Downs in advance of the Classic.

“I have a plan, but we’ll probably know more tomorrow,” Baffert said Friday morning in response to questions about “Pharoah’s” date of departure. With a 60 percent chance of thunderstorm activity in the Arcadia area on Sunday, Baffert may indeed opt to work his champion on Saturday. Whichever day is decided upon, American Pharoah is scheduled to breeze over Santa Anita’s main track at 6:30 a.m. Although Baffert has not said how far American Pharoah will work, he did breeze a solid five furlongs last Sunday at Santa Anita in one minute flat.
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Default

Breeders’ Cup Classic: Less speed in field as Liam’s Map chooses Dirt Mile
By Jay Privman

The speedy Liam’s Map will be pointed to the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile on Oct. 30 at Keeneland and bypass the Breeders’ Cup Classic on Oct. 31, trainer Todd Pletcher said on Wednesday from Keeneland.

The decision has major implications for the $5 million Classic, as Liam’s Map would have added considerable pace to a race that now might find American Pharoah, the Triple Crown winner, as the controlling speed.

In addition, jockey Javier Castellano is now able to avoid having to choose between Honor Code and Liam’s Map for the Classic. Castellano will ride Liam’s Map in the Dirt Mile, Pletcher said, and Honor Code in the Classic.

Castellano rode another Classic contender, Keen Ice, to an upset over American Pharoah in the Travers Stakes in his last start, but Castellano has accomplished far more with Honor Code, who should be no higher than the third choice in the Classic, with Keen Ice a higher price.

Liam’s Map worked at Keeneland on Monday with Castellano. He was officially timed in 48.60 seconds but had a considerable gallop-out. Pletcher said that after talking it over with all parties – Castellano, majority owners Teresa Viola and her husband, Vincent, and Terry Finley, whose West Point Thoroughbreds has a minority interest in Liam’s Map – “we’re planning on running in the Dirt Mile.”

“The lone caveat is that it’s not etched in stone, but all things being equal, assuming the Classic field stays intact as it now appears, our plans are to run in the Dirt Mile, and we’re comfortable with that,” Pletcher said.

Liam’s Map has never run 1 1/4 miles, the distance of the Classic. The farthest he has raced is 1 1/8 miles, that coming in his two most recent starts, both at Saratoga. He and jockey Mike Smith were caught in the final strides by Honor Code when second in the Grade 1 Whitney on Aug. 8. Liam’s Map then came back to win the Grade 1 Woodward under Castellano by 4 3/4 lengths while earning the highest Beyer Speed Figure of his career, a 114.

Pletcher said that if the Classic “was a mile and an eighth, it would be a no-brainer, but a mile and a quarter is a little more difficult.”

He also said that the news that the fleet Private Zone would stick with the Sprint rather than go to the Dirt Mile “doesn’t hurt my feelings.”

Final entries are taken and posts drawn for all Breeders’ Cup races on Oct. 26.

Liam’s Map, 4, a son of Unbridled’s Song out of the Trippi mare Miss Macy Sue, has won five times in seven starts. In both of his losses, he finished second. His only stakes win besides the Woodward came in the listed Harlan’s Holiday at Gulfstream Park last December.

The news has to be welcomed by both Castellano and his agent, Matt Muzikar, who now don’t have to turn down a trainer for whom they ride extensively, either Pletcher or Shug McGaughey, the trainer of Honor Code.

Jockeys and their agents usually like to hold out as long as possible on making decisions when faced with similar situations. After all, you wouldn’t want to commit to a mount who subsequently bows out, with your other potential choices having found substitutes in the meantime. Trainers usually want answers sooner.

In 2011, Jose Lezcano had ridden Drosselmeyer in four straight starts prior to the Classic. He also had just won the Pennsylvania Derby on To Honor and Serve. Both runners were trained by Bill Mott. Lezcano wound up on To Honor and Serve, and most bettors agreed, with To Honor and Serve at 9-1 and Drosselmeyer at 14-1. But To Honor and Serve could only finish seventh as Drosselmeyer rallied for the win under Smith.

In 2002, Shaun Bridgmohan had just ridden Volponi to a second-place finish in the Meadowlands Cup, the eighth time he had ridden that horse in his last 10 starts. He also had ridden Evening Attire in 10 straight races, including victories in his last two, the Saratoga Cup and Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Bridgmohan wound up on Evening Attire, and bettors overwhelmingly thought he had done the right thing. Evening Attire went off at 9-2, while Volponi was the longest shot of 12 at 43-1. But Evening Attire only managed to finish fourth, as Volponi scored the upset, in the process exposing the infamous Fix Six scandal.

– additional reporting by David Grening and Mike Welsch
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Default

Castellano being able to ride Honor Code means Desormeaux likely on Keen Ice..
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2015, 02:38 PM
declansharbor's Avatar
declansharbor declansharbor is offline
Hialeah Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Exit 30
Posts: 6,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Breeders’ Cup Classic: Less speed in field as Liam’s Map chooses Dirt Mile
By Jay Privman

The speedy Liam’s Map will be pointed to the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile on Oct. 30 at Keeneland and bypass the Breeders’ Cup Classic on Oct. 31, trainer Todd Pletcher said on Wednesday from Keeneland.

The decision has major implications for the $5 million Classic, as Liam’s Map would have added considerable pace to a race that now might find American Pharoah, the Triple Crown winner, as the controlling speed.

In addition, jockey Javier Castellano is now able to avoid having to choose between Honor Code and Liam’s Map for the Classic. Castellano will ride Liam’s Map in the Dirt Mile, Pletcher said, and Honor Code in the Classic.

Castellano rode another Classic contender, Keen Ice, to an upset over American Pharoah in the Travers Stakes in his last start, but Castellano has accomplished far more with Honor Code, who should be no higher than the third choice in the Classic, with Keen Ice a higher price.

Liam’s Map worked at Keeneland on Monday with Castellano. He was officially timed in 48.60 seconds but had a considerable gallop-out. Pletcher said that after talking it over with all parties – Castellano, majority owners Teresa Viola and her husband, Vincent, and Terry Finley, whose West Point Thoroughbreds has a minority interest in Liam’s Map – “we’re planning on running in the Dirt Mile.”

“The lone caveat is that it’s not etched in stone, but all things being equal, assuming the Classic field stays intact as it now appears, our plans are to run in the Dirt Mile, and we’re comfortable with that,” Pletcher said.

Liam’s Map has never run 1 1/4 miles, the distance of the Classic. The farthest he has raced is 1 1/8 miles, that coming in his two most recent starts, both at Saratoga. He and jockey Mike Smith were caught in the final strides by Honor Code when second in the Grade 1 Whitney on Aug. 8. Liam’s Map then came back to win the Grade 1 Woodward under Castellano by 4 3/4 lengths while earning the highest Beyer Speed Figure of his career, a 114.

Pletcher said that if the Classic “was a mile and an eighth, it would be a no-brainer, but a mile and a quarter is a little more difficult.”

He also said that the news that the fleet Private Zone would stick with the Sprint rather than go to the Dirt Mile “doesn’t hurt my feelings.”

Final entries are taken and posts drawn for all Breeders’ Cup races on Oct. 26.

Liam’s Map, 4, a son of Unbridled’s Song out of the Trippi mare Miss Macy Sue, has won five times in seven starts. In both of his losses, he finished second. His only stakes win besides the Woodward came in the listed Harlan’s Holiday at Gulfstream Park last December.

The news has to be welcomed by both Castellano and his agent, Matt Muzikar, who now don’t have to turn down a trainer for whom they ride extensively, either Pletcher or Shug McGaughey, the trainer of Honor Code.

Jockeys and their agents usually like to hold out as long as possible on making decisions when faced with similar situations. After all, you wouldn’t want to commit to a mount who subsequently bows out, with your other potential choices having found substitutes in the meantime. Trainers usually want answers sooner.

In 2011, Jose Lezcano had ridden Drosselmeyer in four straight starts prior to the Classic. He also had just won the Pennsylvania Derby on To Honor and Serve. Both runners were trained by Bill Mott. Lezcano wound up on To Honor and Serve, and most bettors agreed, with To Honor and Serve at 9-1 and Drosselmeyer at 14-1. But To Honor and Serve could only finish seventh as Drosselmeyer rallied for the win under Smith.

In 2002, Shaun Bridgmohan had just ridden Volponi to a second-place finish in the Meadowlands Cup, the eighth time he had ridden that horse in his last 10 starts. He also had ridden Evening Attire in 10 straight races, including victories in his last two, the Saratoga Cup and Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Bridgmohan wound up on Evening Attire, and bettors overwhelmingly thought he had done the right thing. Evening Attire went off at 9-2, while Volponi was the longest shot of 12 at 43-1. But Evening Attire only managed to finish fourth, as Volponi scored the upset, in the process exposing the infamous Fix Six scandal.

– additional reporting by David Grening and Mike Welsch
Camp American Pharoah had to love hearing this news.
__________________
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 PM
cakes44's Avatar
cakes44 cakes44 is offline
The Curragh
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,674
Default

Who's probably gonna be the moron betting Tonalist even though the race isn't at Belmont? Yup, probably this guy...especially at 10-1 and up.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-08-2015, 07:59 AM
Gate Dancer's Avatar
Gate Dancer Gate Dancer is offline
Gulfstream Park
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SW Nebr
Posts: 1,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Who's probably gonna be the moron betting Tonalist even though the race isn't at Belmont? Yup, probably this guy...especially at 10-1 and up.
You won't be alone, I agree..........perhaps we should pray for rain???
__________________
A racehorse is an animal that can take several thousand people for a ride at the same time. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Default

Probables/Possibles Updated..
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-09-2015, 09:54 AM
FATPIANO's Avatar
FATPIANO FATPIANO is offline
Gulfstream Park
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: nys
Posts: 1,150
Default

Beholder went the distance in 1:02 flat and was given the "breezing" label that is not often awarded in Southern California. gotta love it
__________________
Arrogate is the best horse since The Bid, and The Bid was better than Secretariat!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Kasept's Avatar
Kasept Kasept is offline
Steve Byk
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greenwich, NY
Posts: 40,832
Default

Classic (10/7)

American Pharoah (Bob Baffert) 8-5
Beholder (Richard Mandella) 7-2
Honor Code (Shug McGaughey) 6-1
Tonalist (Christophe Clement) 8-1
Smooth Roller (Victor Garcia) 10-1
Gleneagles (Aidan O'Brien) 12-1
Keen Ice (Dale Romans) 15-1
Frosted (Kiaran McLaughlin) 20-1
Effinex (Jimmy Jerkens) 30-1
Hard Aces (John Sadler) 30-1

Hoppertunity (Bob Baffert)
Wicked Strong (Jimmy Jerkens) ~ Dirt Mile



Distaff (10/7)

Sheer Drama (David Fawkes) 3-1
Wedding Toast (Kiaran McLaughlin) 7-2
Untapable (Steve Asmussen) 5-1
I'm a Chatterbox (Larry Jones) 6-1
Curalina (Todd Pletcher) 8-1
Got Lucky (Todd Pletcher) 12-1
Stopchargingmaria (Todd Pletcher) 15-1
Calamity Kate (Kelly Breen) 20-1
Stellar Wind (John Sadler) 20-1
Yahilwa (Jim Cassidy) 20-1
Warren's Veneda (Craig Lewis) 30-1
Salama (Charlie LoPresti) 50-1

Peace and War (Graham Motion)
My Sweet Addiction (Marty Jones)
Frivolous (Vicki Oliver)
__________________
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. ~ Joseph Conrad
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. ~ Thomas Paine
Don't let anyone tell you that your dreams can't come true. They are only afraid that theirs won't and yours will. ~ Robert Evans
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 AM
declansharbor's Avatar
declansharbor declansharbor is offline
Hialeah Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Exit 30
Posts: 6,357
Default

Keen Ice -- what type of odds should we expect from him?

Certainly not the 15-1, my guess would be 8-1?
__________________
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.