Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2022, 12:44 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
You get into the game dreaming of winning a race like the Derby or even better the triple crown.

You shock the world doing the first thing and pass up on a chance at immortality to “stick to the plan.”

Something is up.
Nah they just know they caught lightening in a bottle.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:49 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Hey, they know what’s best for their horse.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-12-2022, 01:16 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Although now I see Rich Strike is skipping the Preakness.
Anger management program?
Old 05-12-2022, 02:31 PM
Cahokia Downs

What would sound reasoning be here? It can't possibly be because they don't think the race will suit him. By all reasonable pre race logic, the Derby didn't suit him. Even had they had the foresight to envision that pace collapse it was near impossible to see him out kicking all those other closers, even for a minor award. I'm sure they didn't enter that race thinking they were going to win.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:55 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITF View Post
What would sound reasoning be here? It can't possibly be because they don't think the race will suit him. By all reasonable pre race logic, the Derby didn't suit him. Even had they had the foresight to envision that pace collapse it was near impossible to see him out kicking all those other closers, even for a minor award. I'm sure they didn't enter that race thinking they were going to win.
According to them, it seems like they were using the Derby as a prep for the Belmont. They planned on having the time off after Kentucky to be ready for NY. Winning the Derby would have seemingly changed those plans but the connections are saying no, they are sticking with their original plans, which they obviously think are in the best interests of the horse.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-12-2022, 04:11 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Just saw that.

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t buy the reason given at all.
They've had a few days to watch him and maybe he's not flourishing. You couldn't sit on a horse that was for 5 weeks could you? Wouldn't they become pretty hard to handle? Risking injury even? Doesn't mean he's hurt. They can't be blamed for doing right by the horse if he's not gonna experience anything positive if he ran, but I think they don't wanna say he's not doing super great. 'We're doing this on purpose as we always said' sounds better.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:13 PM
Steve Byk

Add Happy Jack (D. O'Neill/T. Gaffalione) to Preakness..
Old 05-12-2022, 07:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Add Happy Jack (D. O'Neill/T. Gaffalione) to Preakness..
He didn’t do any running in the Derby so I expect him to be fresh for the Preakness.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Cahokia Downs

Cat lady and the radicals wasted zero time in their attempt to cancel the trainer.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:10 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMattA View Post
Cat lady and the radicals wasted zero time in their attempt to cancel the trainer.
You Trumpers are so sensitive.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:08 AM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
You Trumpers are so sensitive.
Nah and nah. When a group of idiots who hate their lives go after another idiot with a recent accomplishment who couldn’t keep his mouth shut in the past, we all win.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:59 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
They've had a few days to watch him and maybe he's not flourishing. You couldn't sit on a horse that was for 5 weeks could you? Wouldn't they become pretty hard to handle? Risking injury even? Doesn't mean he's hurt. They can't be blamed for doing right by the horse if he's not gonna experience anything positive if he ran, but I think they don't wanna say he's not doing super great. 'We're doing this on purpose as we always said' sounds better.
That’s my point. This won’t be a popular take but I would not be surprised if that’s the last we saw of him this year. Maybe ever.

Just seems odd that whatever is keeping him from attempting the Preakness will miraculously be better in 4 weeks.

We’ll see.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:28 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
That’s my point. This won’t be a popular take but I would not be surprised if that’s the last we saw of him this year. Maybe ever.

Just seems odd that whatever is keeping him from attempting the Preakness will miraculously be better in 4 weeks.

We’ll see.
And given the Belmont doesn't fit his running style at all... My prediction is he won't run ever again. A 30 K Claimer who caught lightning in a bottle and whose value is most likely as high as it ever will be. Running again will diminish that unless I read this horse entirely wrong...

Next up Microshare Breeding syndicate.

"You too can get into Race Horse Stallion breeding where Kentucky Derby winners can make hundreds of millions of dollars.. All for as little as $100 a share. "
Old 05-13-2022, 08:58 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:

We’ll see.

The owner didn't sound confident on Steve's show that he would run in Preakness. Sid Fernando valued him at under 1.5 million, which sounded low, so you would think racing is in his future? He ran; maybe he is a good horse after all? But, of course, he will never get that set up again.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:55 AM
Jerome Park

It's very hard not to be overly cynical about this. We've just seen this song and dance too many times and the end result is almost always the same. Suddenly, a trainer that has never shied from taking shots, is micromanaging his horse's career? Seems kind of odd at best.

I get not wanting to expose him, but what's to say for certain he hasn't improved substantially? He badly outran Mo Donegal and Simplification. They may not change the breed but they are hardly bad horses. I'm dubious that if he retired today they could get seven figures for him as a stallion, especially with that pedigree. Seems to me, whatever the odds, there is much more upside in racing him.

All that makes me think there is a reason he isn't running next week, but that's probably just me being cynical. Time will tell.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:39 PM
Steve Byk

Fluid Preakness field right now..

Epicenter (Asmussen)
Secret Oath (Lukas)
Simplification (Sano)
Early Voting (C. Brown)
Creative Minister (McPeek)
Armagnac (Yakteen)
Skippylongstocking (Joseph)
Fenwick (McKathan)
Happy Jack (O'Neill)

Last edited by Kasept : 05-16-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:01 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
And given the Belmont doesn't fit his running style at all... My prediction is he won't run ever again. A 30 K Claimer who caught lightning in a bottle and whose value is most likely as high as it ever will be. Running again will diminish that unless I read this horse entirely wrong...

Next up Microshare Breeding syndicate.

"You too can get into Race Horse Stallion breeding where Kentucky Derby winners can make hundreds of millions of dollars.. All for as little as $100 a share. "

Absolutely
Old 05-14-2022, 10:38 AM
Steve Byk

ARMAGNAC (Yakteen) to Preakness off ALW win last weekend..
Old 05-14-2022, 05:27 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
ARMAGNAC (Yakteen) to Preakness off ALW win last weekend..
Happy Jack, Set Sail, and now Armagnac are leaving CA to run elsewhere?

Santa Anita not going to be able to card the Affirmed Stakes early next month...

...and the Los Alamitos Derby Future Pool is now in utter dissarray.

We need Pappacap and Blackadder back out west, pronto.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:05 AM
Steve Byk

UN OJO will miss Preakness with same bad foot..