Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default OTL indicates Rose bet as a player

Forgive me but the cynic in me raises it's ugly head here, I respect OTL for their reporting history but why, after 30 years does this come out now? Could it have anything to due with the upcoming meeting between Rose and the Commish? I have to say that there are folks who will apparently do anything to keep Rose out of the Hall. Sorry but Baseball has a long history of lying and downright fraud, and the Hall is littered with characters having far worse warts than Rose...blatant racists, bullies, drunks, you name it but when it comes to Rose, baseball suddenly becomes sanctimonious and acts repulsed that he actually bet on baseball. Baseball is the one sport that literally sanctions cheating...stealing signs, spit balls, corked bats etc. have always been illegal but at the same time accepted as part of the game. It's ok to drill a player with a 98mph fastball but the man who represented hustle and hard work is demonized for a gambling addiction. When average hitters started setting home run records, baseball stuck their collective heads in the sand and had to be forced to examine PED use, and while many obviously were using a few were singled out and so great players like Bonds and A-Rod will probably never see the Hall. It's all smoke and mirrors and the Hall will always be a joke to me without Pete Rose.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Pete Rose has nobody but himself to blame for not being in the Hall of Fame. Enough with the pity party for a compulsive liar with zero self-control.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Saratoga

Pretty simple

http://seanlahman.com/files/rose/rule21.html
Old 06-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Pete Rose has nobody but himself to blame for not being in the Hall of Fame. Enough with the pity party for a compulsive liar with zero self-control.
I understand your opinion (shared by many)...to me Rose has demonstrated all the symptoms of a gambling addiction (recognized by APA in 1980 and included as an addiction in DSM). Gambling addiction, like drug or alcohol addiction is a chronic and debilitating disorder. If Rose suffered from say alcohol addiction, I suspect many would be willing to give him a second chance. Yes, he broke one of the "cardinal rules" of baseball, and he deserved to suffer the consequences but isn't it time to recognize his contributions to the game and end the exile? He played the game right and was one of the greatest players ever...his personality grates on folks and his lack of honesty makes him hard to like, but these are characteristics of many addicts. Baseball is not a "lily-white" organization, it is more than a little hypocritical to pretend otherwise...surely there is room for Rose in the Hall.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Saratoga

(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or
employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in
connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared
ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Saratoga

Mr.Rose made a very serious mistake with very serious consequences. Similiar events happen to common people everyday....with the same consequences. Permantently ineligible is really....really serious. Sorry but he doesnt have my vote.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
Mr.Rose made a very serious mistake with very serious consequences. Similiar events happen to common people everyday....with the same consequences. Permantently ineligible is really....really serious. Sorry but he doesnt have my vote.
He's DONE!

btw.....Kudos for great quote!