Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Saratoga

Default NFL coaching carousel

Out of the seven tossed I see Andy Reid and Lovie Smith quickly finding NFL Head Coaching jobs but I don't see the other 5 as NFL Head coaches next year. Am I Mr. Obvious?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

The Arizona coach will get another chance. He almost won a Super Bowl out there.

Probably won't get a real attractive situation though.

The rest are coordinators.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Saratoga

This is how I rate the open postions for attractiveness of players already in place.

1) SD
2) Bears
3) Philly
4) Arizona
5) Browns
6) Bills
7) KC
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Hialeah Park

Andy to the Chiefs?!? It's going to take a brave soul to accept that position, but here's to the thought of him turning that franchise around! Guess it's a Hali jersey i'm ordering instead of a Patrick Peterson!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Andy to the Chiefs?!? It's going to take a brave soul to accept that position, but here's to the thought of him turning that franchise around! Guess it's a Hali jersey i'm ordering instead of a Patrick Peterson!
that'd be a hell of a challenge. i can see why he'd want it. first things first, get a good qb.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
that'd be a hell of a challenge. i can see why he'd want it. first things first, get a good qb.
Parcells Syndrome: No where to go but up.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Parcells Syndrome: No where to go but up.
seriously. now, were i a coach, i'd want to go to pittsburgh. great owner, great approach to how football is handled.
dallas-not in a million years.
i was surprised they just kept romeo on, rather than hire someone else, for this year. i thought it was a bad move on kc's part, basically conceding the season with that move.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Flemington

Quote:
seriously. now, were i a coach, i'd want to go to pittsburgh. great owner, great approach to how football is handled.
dallas-not in a million years.
i was surprised they just kept romeo on, rather than hire someone else, for this year. i thought it was a bad move on kc's part, basically conceding the season with that move.
The season was conceded when they went into the season with Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn as their QB's.

Who were the hot candidates last season that were head and shoulders better tha Romeo? Realistically speaking they probably would have sucked with Bill Walsh coaching them.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The season was conceded when they went into the season with Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn as their QB's.

Who were the hot candidates last season that were head and shoulders better tha Romeo? Realistically speaking they probably would have sucked with Bill Walsh coaching them.
They have no QB but they have a good running game and the defense isn't awful. I think if he gets a QB they will be close to 8-8 in that division. Getting a QB is the big if.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

To be fair, it's not like they had a shot at Luck or RG3, and Peyton knew better then to sign there.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
To be fair, it's not like they had a shot at Luck or RG3, and Peyton knew better then to sign there.
Couldn't they trade up like the Skins did?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Couldn't they trade up like the Skins did?
If they didn't have many other glaring needs, maybe they would've mortgaged their future on a chance that they draft the right guy. As they stood, they needed all the picks that they could accrue. Right or wrong move is yet to be determined, although the play from the two top rookies is making sitting idle look like the wrong move.

The Skins had ONE glaring need, and they filled it. (and gave a lot up to get it)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

i'm not so sure it has to be a 'hot' candidate...but i thought romeo was just an 'eh, he's here, let him try' kind of deal. their qb's suck, so true. i think they take the 'he's here, so let him try' line with all their players, not just the coach! hopefully reid can improve the situation there, it's a godawful mess.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Hialeah Park

KC fans better HOPE that Reid doesn't bring in Marty to his staff. They should just go separate ways, together they've been stale for years.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Flemington

Quote:

i'm not so sure it has to be a 'hot' candidate...but i thought romeo was just an 'eh, he's here, let him try' kind of deal. their qb's suck, so true. i think they take the 'he's here, so let him try' line with all their players, not just the coach! hopefully reid can improve the situation there, it's a godawful mess.
Romeo was a defensive minded coach for a defensive suited team. They also played alright in the 3 games he coached after they axed Haley. So I guess it made sense, plus Romeo probably didn't make what Reid's gonna get. The only guy who comes to mind who was available (besides Gruden & Cowher) was Jeff Fisher and the Rams gobbled him up pretty quickly. Alot more sexier/bigger names are out there this year. You would think that Reid is at least a step in the right direction.

You would think that they are so bad, that Reid will have a pass for a few years, while he re-shapes the team/organization. Like I said, they have no-where to go but up.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Romeo was a defensive minded coach for a defensive suited team. They also played alright in the 3 games he coached after they axed Haley. So I guess it made sense, plus Romeo probably didn't make what Reid's gonna get. The only guy who comes to mind who was available (besides Gruden & Cowher) was Jeff Fisher and the Rams gobbled him up pretty quickly. Alot more sexier/bigger names are out there this year. You would think that Reid is at least a step in the right direction.

You would think that they are so bad, that Reid will have a pass for a few years, while he re-shapes the team/organization. Like I said, they have no-where to go but up.
i'm sure he told them something along the lines of what shanahan told dan snyder-it's a 5 year project. don't expect miracles, or a quick fix.
and yeah, defensive minded is ok...but look at rex ryan, lovie, and romeo-where did it get them? a dc becoming a head coach needs to do one thing well-hire a great oc!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
They have no QB but they have a good running game and the defense isn't awful. I think if he gets a QB they will be close to 8-8 in that division. Getting a QB is the big if.
Totally agree. I find KC one of the more attractive opportunities out there. Their D is actually fairly solid, they just never get off the field. One of the lowest in time of possession in the league.
Agree with JMS that SD would be the most enticing with the Bears a close second. KC right there next depending on what their plans are to address the QB slot long term.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Reid would have some fun with that offense provided there is a quarterback with even a lick of talent. Jamaal Charles is awesome.

I don't know about the love for SD and Chicago. Both are aging teams. I actually think the Browns could be a pretty good situation for the right coach given the talent available if they weren't, you know, the Browns. Still, their new owner wants to be the Steelers and is willing to spend to get to that point. I would have kept Shurmur myself as the Browns got a lot better this year, but in almost every key position, they have young talent.

I also dispute the notion that the Redskins had just one glaring need. A lot of their defense are castoffs or overpaid (D. Hall). The receivers are better than the James Thrash years, but still not exactly Rice and Taylor. I actually think drafting Morris was the more intelligent pick in last year's draft. He's been dynamite and has carried the team in the games Griffin hasn't (see last Sunday's night's game).
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Reid would have some fun with that offense provided there is a quarterback with even a lick of talent. Jamaal Charles is awesome.

I don't know about the love for SD and Chicago. Both are aging teams. I actually think the Browns could be a pretty good situation for the right coach given the talent available if they weren't, you know, the Browns. Still, their new owner wants to be the Steelers and is willing to spend to get to that point. I would have kept Shurmur myself as the Browns got a lot better this year, but in almost every key position, they have young talent.

I also dispute the notion that the Redskins had just one glaring need. A lot of their defense are castoffs or overpaid (D. Hall). The receivers are better than the James Thrash years, but still not exactly Rice and Taylor. I actually think drafting Morris was the more intelligent pick in last year's draft. He's been dynamite and has carried the team in the games Griffin hasn't (see last Sunday's night's game).
SD is a draw because of the weather for one. and judging by the length of time norv turner was given to screw up the team, the owner seems fairly patient with coaches.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post

Good points. I think success in SD will hinge on the ability to get Phillip River's head out of his ass. Somehow. He as shown in the past the ability to play at a championship level, and while the loss of Vincent Jackson and Darren Sproles hurts, he still has weapons and they will likely use a top pick on the offense to address one of those positions (in addition, I think we can all agree that Antonio Gates is done)
Chicago suffered from the injury bug, I'm still shocked Lovie lost his job over this. They are indeed aging, but think that Cutler & Forte have a good year or two left in the tank.
Philly is interesting - there is no doubt they have one of the strongest run defenses in the league, but the secondary could use a little help. Solid at TE, back field with a healthy Leshawn McCoy and Bryce Brown, the need consistency at WR and a reliable QB.
KC as I've said is only a QB from contending in that division.
Of the last 3 the Browns are probably best in regard of staff - young and talanted - will not contend next year but the following year watch out.
The problems in Buffalo and Pheonix are deeper than a position or two and would be a challenge without the now famous Mike Shanahan "5 year commitment"