Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Flemington

Default Decades 10 Greatest Horsey Board Posters

#10 - Steve Krebs - Without a doubt the most underappreciated horse trainer to ever live.

A former Scott Lake asst - Krebs quietly posted God-like ROI numbers with sprinters at mid-atlantic tracks early on in the decade - all while sometimes amassing staggeringly high daily post totals on message boards.

Krebs with sprinters by year:

2000: 3-for-5 (60%) $6.20 ROI
2001: 10-for-35 (29%) $2.41 ROI
2002: 32-for-103 (31%) $3.89 ROI
2003: 36-for-163 (22%) $2.27 ROI
2004: 36-for-184 (20%) $2.33 ROI
2005: 45-for-195 (23%) $3.03 ROI
'00 to '05: 162-for-685 (24%) $2.78 ROI

When on his message boarding game - Krebs could be as prolific a poster as Morty - and as mean and nasty as few to ever hit a submit button. He owns arguably the single greatest quote from a post ever: "hey jerk, I could be on my computer for 23 hours a day and still win at 20%"

His flame wars are the stuff of legend - especially the one with small fry Penn National and Maryland trainer Laurie Mcdowell. She would call him "pond scum" - he would get all personal.

Krebs might deserves to be way higher on the list - but he wasn't around for more than a year or two - and only on one board.

#9 - Mt Converse - The pride of San Fran and a outspoken gay man with a huge heart - he once sort of subtly bragged about giving a homeless man his pizza crust. He once compared Excellent Meeting to Alydar...and was being dead serious.

He's hit more trifectas in big races than any other poster in message board history - mostly because he boxes like 7 to 9 horses a race - and will defend the strategy tooth and nail.

#8 - Blackthroatedwind - Certainly one of the most compelling voices of the horsey board decade.

Never will you see a poster who is such a lightning rod. A lot of times he's even public enemy numero uno to his detractors... albeit detractors who almost always royally suck - and very often strangely seem to subsequently find themselves vanish from the horsey board landscape.

While BTW may have more haters scattered around than any serious poster - he also has a huge collection of posters (ranging from the outstanding to the sucky) scattered over several boards - who would be more than willing to swear a sacred oath of brotherhood to him in any ole peach garden.

#7 - Freddy Mo - I've probably had twice as many 'laughing facepalms' from reading his posts - as I've had from any poster ever.

Few posters have ever been as entertaining with as little effort.
Who else could make you say out load 'why didn't I go into the t-shirt business!? I'd be rich!'

#6 - Tom from Pace Advantage - 37,800+ posts on a single board. In terms of consistency - even death and taxes fear this guy. Not a day goes by when the PA faithful isn't treated to both an onslaught or 12 on Obama - and a wisecrack or 6 on just about any racing topic.

#5 - DrugS - SALacious, arrogant, combative, knowledgable, demented, egotistical, informative, and kind of crazy cute.

His Aspergertastic Unabomber-like rants are to horsey boards what Mariano Rivera's cutter is to relief pitching.

Few beg harder to not get taken seriously while giving more than enough reason why they should be. Few beg harder to be taken seriously while giving more than enough reason why they shouldn't be.

#4 - Roger1807 - The man, the myth, the legend. The Cincy Dream - Rog is the Jim Thorpe to almost all of you for this decade among horsey board posters.

#3 - PointGiven1985 - He needs no introduction here....

#2 - ClaimBoxx - Aaron Hesz! Before the leash and muzzle was put on by his one-time weekend radio show co-host Roger Stein - few could dare attempt to have the audacity to disagree with Claim Got Game and not pay for it.

And by paying - I mean being called either "a fat c-nt" if thought to be female or being exposed as a McDonalds burger flipper or a Wal Mart greeter if thought to be male.

The highest compliment I was ever paid in my life came from Claimboxx. "You're probably the 2nd best handicapper I know of. I mean that. You're not even close to being as good as me."

Some of the most epic flame wars of all-time involved Claim and Kentucky jockey agent Don Alvey. Alvey, a man who sued Indian Charlie and (like Hesz)was once featured in an old Beyer article .. would post about how Claim tried to get with underage girls and how he had proof. Claim would mostly post bacon jokes and bitter death wishes about the very fat Alvey.

#1: Mortimer - I ought not go into detail about someone who has almost 22K posts here.

While his performance here - and at other boards - is more than enough to make this list. He also seems to be the Jim Thorpe of the old DRF board. You'll never see someone like him again.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
#10 - Steve Krebs - Without a doubt the most underappreciated horse trainer to ever live.

A former Scott Lake asst - Krebs quietly posted God-like ROI numbers with sprinters at mid-atlantic tracks early on in the decade - all while sometimes amassing staggeringly high daily post totals on message boards.

Krebs with sprinters by year:

2000: 3-for-5 (60%) $6.20 ROI
2001: 10-for-35 (29%) $2.41 ROI
2002: 32-for-103 (31%) $3.89 ROI
2003: 36-for-163 (22%) $2.27 ROI
2004: 36-for-184 (20%) $2.33 ROI
2005: 45-for-195 (23%) $3.03 ROI
'00 to '05: 162-for-685 (24%) $2.78 ROI

When on his message boarding game - Krebs could be as prolific a poster as Morty - and as mean and nasty as few to ever hit a submit button. He owns arguably the single greatest quote from a post ever: "hey jerk, I could be on my computer for 23 hours a day and still win at 20%"

His flame wars are the stuff of legend - especially the one with small fry Penn National and Maryland trainer Laurie Mcdowell. She would call him "pond scum" - he would get all personal.

Krebs might deserves to be way higher on the list - but he wasn't around for more than a year or two - and only on one board.

#9 - Mt Converse - The pride of San Fran and a outspoken gay man with a huge heart - he once sort of subtly bragged about giving a homeless man his pizza crust. He once compared Excellent Meeting to Alydar...and was being dead serious.

He's hit more trifectas in big races than any other poster in message board history - mostly because he boxes like 7 to 9 horses a race - and will defend the strategy tooth and nail.

#8 - Blackthroatedwind - Certainly one of the most compelling voices of the horsey board decade.

Never will you see a poster who is such a lightning rod. A lot of times he's even public enemy numero uno to his detractors... albeit detractors who almost always royally suck - and very often strangely seem to subsequently find themselves vanish from the horsey board landscape.

While BTW may have more haters scattered around than any serious poster - he also has a huge collection of posters (ranging from the outstanding to the sucky) scattered over several boards - who would be more than willing to swear a sacred oath of brotherhood to him in any ole peach garden.

#7 - Freddy Mo - I've probably had twice as many 'laughing facepalms' from reading his posts - as I've had from any poster ever.

Few posters have ever been as entertaining with as little effort.
Who else could make you say out load 'why didn't I go into the t-shirt business!? I'd be rich!'

#6 - Tom from Pace Advantage - 37,800+ posts on a single board. In terms of consistency - even death and taxes fear this guy. Not a day goes by when the PA faithful isn't treated to both an onslaught or 12 on Obama - and a wisecrack or 6 on just about any racing topic.

#5 - DrugS - SALacious, arrogant, combative, knowledgable, demented, egotistical, informative, and kind of crazy cute.

His Aspergertastic Unabomber-like rants are to horsey boards what Mariano Rivera's cutter is to relief pitching.

Few beg harder to not get taken seriously while giving more than enough reason why they should be. Few beg harder to be taken seriously while giving more than enough reason why they shouldn't be.

#4 - Roger1807 - The man, the myth, the legend. The Cincy Dream - Rog is the Jim Thorpe to almost all of you for this decade among horsey board posters.

#3 - PointGiven1985 - He needs no introduction here....

#2 - ClaimBoxx - Aaron Hesz! Before the leash and muzzle was put on by his one-time weekend radio show co-host Roger Stein - few could dare attempt to have the audacity to disagree with Claim Got Game and not pay for it.

And by paying - I mean being called either "a fat c-nt" if thought to be female or being exposed as a McDonalds burger flipper or a Wal Mart greeter if thought to be male.

The highest compliment I was ever paid in my life came from Claimboxx. "You're probably the 2nd best handicapper I know of. I mean that. You're not even close to being as good as me."

Some of the most epic flame wars of all-time involved Claim and Kentucky jockey agent Don Alvey. Alvey, a man who sued Indian Charlie and (like Hesz)was once featured in an old Beyer article .. would post about how Claim tried to get with underage girls and how he had proof. Claim would mostly post bacon jokes and bitter death wishes about the very fat Alvey.

#1: Mortimer - I ought not go into detail about someone who has almost 22K posts here.

While his performance here - and at other boards - is more than enough to make this list. He also seems to be the Jim Thorpe of the old DRF board. You'll never see someone like him again.
You left off that Dylan character from the AOL boards. He's the guy who argued everything (very politely at least) and dismissed Johar's chances in the BC because he wouldn't be able to get the lead.

He was epic. Prolific as they came but always matter of fact and polite. A super rare combination of traits on message boards!

Did you ever take up that offer from MTConverse to go out to SF and hang out?

Barry Irwin used to be a great poster, but he got bitter that his colt got beat in the Derby by such an obvious juicer, Baffert. He sorta vanished after that.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Sheepshead Bay

War Osama!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
Did you ever take up that offer from MTConverse to go out to SF and hang out?
No.

He liked me a little too much. I had no interest in having my anal cavity torn to shreds.

Claim was the greatest.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
No.

He liked me a little too much. I had no interest in having my anal cavity torn to shreds.

Claim was the greatest.

Claim is a dusches maximus....the guy is lucky to still be alive , it really is a suprise that no one has smashed his face in yet.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu
Claim is a dusches maximus....the guy is lucky to still be alive , it really is a suprise that no one has smashed his face in yet.
you're a fat cundt!!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tector
War Osama!
Wow, I totally forgot about that tard who always used to go around saying that.

War Osama!!

He should have been higher up on this list than he was.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Sheepshead Bay

I am waiting for the distaff side of this list.

Sweet Jesus Christ....
Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Saratoga

I'm surprised Repent didn't make the list.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu
He did get punched out by a female horse trainer before.

One of many great articles from the 90's on the man himself....

Quote:
Depending on whom you ask, Aaron Hesz, a young racetrack handicapper-writer-tout, is either:

A tactlesstact·less know-it-all who hides behind press-freedom rights while trying to destroy the careers of racehorse trainers he dislikes; or

A tactless know-it-all who offers racing fans the benefit of his years of experience by publishing eyeball assessments of horses' fitness

Recently, Hesz's scathing remarks in the local handicappers' helper, Today's Racing Digest, made him the target of an angry ad in the Daily Racing Form, a fist thrown by trainer Laura Pinelli and, Hesz said, threatening (and anonymous) telephone calls.

Hesz, 30, said, ``It's a personal vendetta against me.'' And it's true, the controversy has gotten personal. ``To put a pen in the hateful hands of someone like this is bad for the game,'' said Gary Young, the prominent workouts clocker who wrote the anti-Hesz newspaper ad after Hesz slammed trainer Steve Young - Gary's brother - in a Racing Digest feature named ``Claim Box.'' Young also called Hesz "a demented little dweeb"
rest of the article:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/IT'S+ABOUT+FANS'+RIGHTS.-a083955790
Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Goodwood

Remember how proud he was of himself when he was living in that million dollar home, that wasn't even his?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
Remember how proud he was of himself when he was living in that million dollar home, that wasn't even his?
What about the Lexus!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Delaware Park

You left out all my favorite characters from the two greatest(funniest) internet boards of all time, the Thoroughbred Times and the Daily Racing Form. To me, there was nothing better than reading the rantings of a certain bloodstock agent who was the sole cheerleader for former Santa Anita Derby contender Last Minute Detail. He was reguarly challenged by the wife of another owner who raced horses with some big trainers, Blackthroatedwind, and Fanofthejuiceguys, who also did his best to make that bloodstock agent look ridiculous.

If memory serves, legendary characters such as MajorityWhip, Censorship, SA Fan, Hondo, and many others participated in such battle royales over integrity in racing partnerships, the management of the aforementioned Last Minute Detail, and fradulent bloodstock agents among others.

There was also some crazy woman seemingly associated with the Funny Cide group that absolutely hated Mike Gill.

aaaahhh the good old days.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leader
You left out all my favorite characters from the two greatest(funniest) internet boards of all time, the Thoroughbred Times and the Daily Racing Form. To me, there was nothing better than reading the rantings of a certain bloodstock agent who was the sole cheerleader for former Santa Anita Derby contender Last Minute Detail. He was reguarly challenged by the wife of another owner who raced horses with some big trainers, Blackthroatedwind, and Fanofthejuiceguys, who also did his best to make that bloodstock agent look ridiculous.

If memory serves, legendary characters such as MajorityWhip, Censorship, SA Fan, Hondo, and many others participated in such battle royales over integrity in racing partnerships, the management of the aforementioned Last Minute Detail, and fradulent bloodstock agents among others.

There was also some crazy woman seemingly associated with the Funny Cide group that absolutely hated Mike Gill.

The Thoroughbred Times board was the best! Fanofthejuiceguys was actually Censorship. His later forum name was created after they banned the word "juice".

It would also be a trainer's wife who would force the closing of the board.

Dixie (blue eyes, speed boys etc.) is a legend.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Fairgrounds

Indian Charlie,you can still read Barry Irwin's comments on the Paulick report.He is always there,and he gets into it sometimes with people there.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
The Thoroughbred Times board was the best! Fanofthejuiceguys was actually Censorship. His later forum name was created after they banned the word "juice".

It would also be a trainer's wife who would force the closing of the board.

Dixie (blue eyes, speed boys etc.) is a legend.
Dixie and Oracle ABSOLUTELY have earned a spot on this prestigious list. Without them, it is null and void.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leader

I wasn't around those parts for any of that .... but if you lead off a cast of "legendary characters" with Majority Whip ... you have to be a part time scroll wheel salesman to go along with your training gig,
Old 12-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Dixie and Oracle ABSOLUTELY have earned a spot on this prestigious list. Without them, it is null and void.
I've seen a little bit of guys like Dixie and Oracle ... much like a KYRIM ... they were entertaining because they had a fair share of moments that left everyone thinking 'at least I'm not that guy!'

I just never saw anything else from them that set them apart from a lot of posters similar to them.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Churchill Downs

For honorable mention, I'll nominate former Fair Grounds owner Bryan Krantz who posted as fg1872 on starting gate when he owned the track and liked to mix it up with fellow posters about matters related to Fair Grounds. Bryan was very sensitive when accusations were made that his horses received favorable treatment when the condition books were written. Bryan was a good sport and for several years hosted a luncheon on closing day at FG for starting gate regulars. It was also nice to see that the track owner was personally monitoring what his customers thought about his track.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by tector
I am waiting for the distaff side of this list.

Sweet Jesus Christ....
That is just too much of an impossible task.

Someone who can unleash posts like this by the thousands....

can be as high as five or six - or as low as about 60th.