Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Oriental Park

Not even mentioning Arazi had surgery just before his three year old season is a bit disingenuous. He was never the same horse after.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
Not even mentioning Arazi had surgery just before his three year old season is a bit disingenuous. He was never the same horse after.
Badge of Silver fractured a leg after his maiden win - and I didn't mention that. I think he fractured another one later on as well.

Still didn't stop him from running 3rd in the BC Mile off of an 11 month layoff... and yet .. he's a failure.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

When injury and stupidity on the part of ownership stops you from being as good as you can be, as in the case of Arazi, I don't think you belong on the list. Other than that, I think the list is good. There are other worthy candidates but the ones you listed are good ones. It always amazes me how some people don't understand the term "relative". The Lakers could win 75 games this year and if they don't win the title, the season would be considered a failure. The Knicks can win 40 games and not make the playoffs and the season could be considered a success.

Drugs, what do you think about horses like Dinard and Event of the Year?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
When injury and stupidity on the part of ownership stops you from being as good as you can be, as in the case of Arazi, I don't think you belong on the list. Other than that, I think the list is good. There are other worthy candidates but the ones you listed are good ones. It always amazes me how some people don't understand the term "relative". The Lakers could win 75 games this year and if they don't win the title, the season would be considered a failure. The Knicks can win 40 games and not make the playoffs and the season could be considered a success.

Drugs, what do you think about horses like Dinard and Event of the Year?
Dinard was a very talented horse, a bit scrawny and undersized but he could run.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Flemington

Event of the Year was outstanding through his first four starts ... but an injury basically wiped him out for a long time. He was a very good horse for most of his starts when he came back though.

So, even if you want to say EofY was on the path to greatness ... I don't think he did anything to hurt his repute when he came back. An excellent 2nd ahead of Silver Charm in the Big Cap is not shabby.

Dinard was '91, that was a little before we started getting Southern Cal races on cable TV everyday.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
It always amazes me how some people don't understand the term "relative". The Lakers could win 75 games this year and if they don't win the title, the season would be considered a failure. The Knicks can win 40 games and not make the playoffs and the season could be considered a success.

Yep.

And this is not a "most overhyped" list. I think it would take me weeks instead of minutes to think up a most overhyped list with all the overhyped horses I've witnessed.

These 5 are horses that really seemed to have something special ability wise - and just badly fell off the path to greatness.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Arlington Park

Unbridled's Song for the sire he became and for his race in the BC Juvenile would be one that is near the top of my list.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Flemington

UBS was certainly a great talent ... though I thought his Florida Derby win was WAY better than his BC Juvie win.

He actually ran the highest figure of his career - in his final career start ... anyone remember who his trainer was for that race?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Flemington

Empire Maker would certainly be a good argument for a Top Fiver who didn't live up to hype.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
UBS was certainly a great talent ... though I thought his Florida Derby win was WAY better than his BC Juvie win.

He actually ran the highest figure of his career - in his final career start ... anyone remember who his trainer was for that race?
Richie Suttle?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Flemington

A slight improvment from him - Nick Zito.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Empire Maker would certainly be a good argument for a Top Fiver who didn't live up to hype.
He was 1st or 2nd 7 out of 8 races (all stakes but his maiden win). Not to mention his first three races were not anything great.

Virtually all these horses were injured at one point. I dont know about Afternoon Deelites.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
A slight improvment from him - Nick Zito.
I thought it was a trick question
Old 10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Flemington

Quote:
He at least was pretty solid ... there have been some pretty hyped horses that were downright terrible.

I would the say most overhyped horse - that actually turned out to be a great horse - was without question Xtra Heat.

She would be the opposite of this list. I was so sick about people blabbing about her - and swore Victory Ride would kill her in the Test Stakes.

VR won the Test ... but Xtra Heat was light years the best horse in the race the way it was run .. and she just basically became the Godzilla of female spritners from that race on.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I thought it was a trick question
It kind of was ... that owner's had a lot of low profile more obscure type trainers than most big owners.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
It kind of was ... that owner's had a lot of low profile more obscure type trainers than most big owners.
He actually has had the same guy calling the shots for years. Him.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
He's an interesting example whereas I think he was more hyped based on his breeding rather than his actual performances, any son out of a great broodmare Toussaud would have had unfair expectations placed on them at that time. Still given the memory of the highlight moment of his career when he broke up Funny Cide's triple crown bid, he left you with the feeling he could have done more in his career.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Goodwood

I think Dinard bowed a tendon prior to the Ky Derby. They never seem to come back as good after that.

He was a monster though and probably would have won the derby that year, if not more.

I'll always remember Paulson being excited after his first big win, saying that he was all pumped up about having a son of his prize stallion, Strawberry Road, being able to stand stud.

That's when he found out Dinard had been gelded already.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Goodwood

By the way, are horses like All Slewped Up eligible for your list?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Goodwood

Or this one: