Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Oriental Park

Default Looking for your thoughts about venue

After studying the race cards available to use for this Saturday's contest, I have a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate your thoughts. The two possible tracks in my opinion are Santa Anita and Belmont. Both have quality cards.

Normally, one would think that choosing Santa Anita would be a no brainer. There are three grade 1 races on the card and four other stakes races. While the major stakes races all have "name" horses entered, the fields seem small. They break down as follows: SA Derby - 7; SA Oaks - 5; Hollywood Gold Cup - 6; Fran's Valentine - 6; Desert Code - 6; Crystal Waters - 8 and Cinema - 7. When you have small fields, they are often not very competitive and might not provide the best basis for our contest.

The other possibility could be Belmont. Their card only has 4 stakes races, only one of which is a grade 1. However, the fields for each is much fuller, to wit: Fort Marcy - 9; Westchester - 11; Intercontinental - 12 and Carter - 11. The rest of the Belmont card also has what could be described as full fields.

The issue is whether we focus on races that have glamour or depth. I think that part of my responsibility in choosing the venue is coming up with a choice that will be enjoyable to most of the contestants. I'd appreciate your feelings as to which of these choices most appeal to you - it would help me in making the final choice. I've never been sure what the majority of you prefer in your contest handicapping. There is merit in both of the choices.

I'll be paying attention to both of these cards, since the races in CA have future Derby and Oaks implications. But the choice of which one of use for our contest has me uncertain.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Havre de Grace

I always try to go with the bigger fields when the choice is mine. Another problem, as I see it, at Santa Anita is the Baffert factor. You know whichever entry he has in a race will be bet way down; however, I guess the same could be said of Chad Brown entries at Belmont. Belmont seems best to me, but whichever you choose ok with me. Guess you could combine the two and add the Santa Anita Derby to a Belmont card? Not sure whether that would work or not as I'm not sure how many races you are considering at Belmont.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:38 PM
Oriental Park

Thank you for your thoughts Cal. I'm disinclined to have a bunch of races from each track for a couple of reasons. I think that it just makes more work for our scorers and makes it more difficult for any ROI players who like multi race wagers. Also, the three hour time difference might make it more difficult for everyone to get the scratches for all races before posting picks. As to your last questions, if Belmont, I'd probably have a card of 9 races; if SA, it is almost impossible to do anything except play all 11 due to the placement of the stakes races on the card.

You're entirely correct about the Baffert factor; his horses are going to take a lot of money in the grade 1's. Then again, Chad Brown has 4 runners in the Intercontinental, fortunately all uncoupled.

Last edited by JolyB : 06-03-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:47 PM
The Curragh

GLAD THE CHOICE IS YOUR’S NOT MINE
A HEAD BANGER FOR SURE THIS TIME.

BUT IF IT WERE MY CHOICE TO MAKE
SANTA ANITA IS WHO I WOULD TAKE

ADDING A BONUS OF THE *CARTER FOR FUN
ALMOST AM HAPPY NOT ME WHO HAD WON

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 06-03-2020, 08:22 PM
The Curragh

I prefer races with bigger fields. We could always add the Santa Anita Derby but from my experience with the ROI I don't know how many players would use it. I would want to watch it but I probably won't bet it.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:58 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

My opinion is Belmont and a bonus race-Santa Anita Derby. Just a thought. In e ponies this is what I have as a venue. Good luck to all.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:35 AM
Oriental Park

Belmont and SA Derby for me but you make the final call sir!?!? Ga'luk. Of course I'm a Baffert fan but a huge Chad Brown fan also.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Oriental Park

Thank you all very much for your responses. While it is impossible to satisfy everyone's desires, you have provided enough helpful information to see where the consensus of opinion lies. I'll post the venue announcement as soon as I get the chance.