Tampa Bay 33 42 .440 14.5 19-22 14-20 366 453 Lost 2 4-6
Baltimore 33 43 .434 15 17-19 16-24 334 345 Won 1 4-6

Not really!!! But thanks for asking!

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Old 06-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Last weekend in the NY papers the talk was Buehrle to the Mets and Dye to the Yanks.
If I were the Mets I'd jump on Buherle. He will give them a chance to win now. I have no idea why the Yankees would want Dye, especially with a big, long contract looming for him?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
IMO, they should blow up this team. They are getting old and really are not that good. They dont have a single impact position player in his 20's, they have several guys that are in regression and they dont have a great deal of young players that are close to being impact guys. The pitching staff has logged tons of innings especially Buherle, the bullpen has been so-so and the other teams in the central are better than them and in Cleveland and Minnesota's case are signifigantly younger. Dye and Thome both should be moved for prospects though they probably wont bring much at this stage of the season. Of course if the main shopper, Yankees, are out of it by the deadline(which is very possible) the trade market will be a little tighter.
If the rumors about the new contract are true, you have to think that this a shaky move. How many pitchers blow up coming off of high inning seasons and signing big contracts? More than not. Buehrle is a quality pitcher and an innings eater but not the kind of pitcher than I would like to invest $50 mill in.
Why is this a shaky move? Buehrle doesn't throw hard enough to jeopardize his arm. He has never had a lick of arm troubles, pitches 200+ innings every year, is 28 years old, is a 1 or 2 starter, is the heart and soul of this team and wants to stay in Chicago. Jerry Reinsdorf is the guy who said you never give a pitcher more than a three year contract, especially a starter. He has made an exception here. At $50 million for four years, Buehrle is a steal for a 1 or a 2. 1's and 2's that pitch 200+ innings simply aren't available unless you lose your mind and break the bank (can you say Barry Zito?). Teams hold onto them because baseball starts and ends with pitching. Even if the White Sox decided to blow up this team, they would still need front line pitching. By signing Buehrle, they keep a very strong starting pitching staff with a crackerjack closer intact. Position players are a dime a dozen in free agency. They can retool quickly with a few position signings and will contend next season.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Suffolk Downs

Did I mention anything about the recent sweep.

Go Cubs
Old 06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supah Brother

Go Cubs
Great. And while you at it, why don't you mention all your world series championships over the last 100 years.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's twin
Why is this a shaky move? Buehrle doesn't throw hard enough to jeopardize his arm. He has never had a lick of arm troubles, pitches 200+ innings every year, is 28 years old, is a 1 or 2 starter, is the heart and soul of this team and wants to stay in Chicago. Jerry Reinsdorf is the guy who said you never give a pitcher more than a three year contract, especially a starter. He has made an exception here. At $50 million for four years, Buehrle is a steal for a 1 or a 2. 1's and 2's that pitch 200+ innings simply aren't available unless you lose your mind and break the bank (can you say Barry Zito?). Teams hold onto them because baseball starts and ends with pitching. Even if the White Sox decided to blow up this team, they would still need front line pitching. By signing Buehrle, they keep a very strong starting pitching staff with a crackerjack closer intact. Position players are a dime a dozen in free agency. They can retool quickly with a few position signings and will contend next season.
You make a good case for keeping him. But wouldn't a crafty move be to send him to a contender looking to rent him for 1/2 a season then the WS can resign him in the offseason? This way they get him back and get a few needed prospects in return? I guess there is risk that he wont come back but unless you are really optimistic this team has a lot of holes that will need to be filled soon.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

Go Cubs

Ah yes...Goat Town USA...

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
IMO, they should blow up this team. They are getting old and really are not that good. They dont have a single impact position player in his 20's, they have several guys that are in regression and they dont have a great deal of young players that are close to being impact guys. The pitching staff has logged tons of innings especially Buherle, the bullpen has been so-so and the other teams in the central are better than them and in Cleveland and Minnesota's case are signifigantly younger. Dye and Thome both should be moved for prospects though they probably wont bring much at this stage of the season. Of course if the main shopper, Yankees, are out of it by the deadline(which is very possible) the trade market will be a little tighter.
If the rumors about the new contract are true, you have to think that this a shaky move. How many pitchers blow up coming off of high inning seasons and signing big contracts? More than not. Buehrle is a quality pitcher and an innings eater but not the kind of pitcher than I would like to invest $50 mill in.

how can you call it a shaky move resigining buehrle, its the right move! hes earned the money and as youve noted he will continue to eat up innings and is a low injury risk considering the type of pitcher he is. its also the right move becuz if buehrle wasnt resigned alotta people in this town would be upset and wouldnt show up to the ballpark and would take them along time to return if ever........recall the white flag debacle. buehrle is a competitor, money will not change his ambition and he wants to be here, hes also the ace of the club and the face of the orginization so it makes sense all the way around including in a business sense for reinsdorf

PWNED
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

Go Cubs

LOL your sorry a$4 franchise actually spends money for a change, youre still below 500 halfway through and well back in your crappy division....................and actually think ya have room to talk? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PWNED
Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
how can you call it a shaky move resigining buehrle, its the right move! hes earned the money and as youve noted he will continue to eat up innings and is a low injury risk considering the type of pitcher he is. its also the right move becuz if buehrle wasnt resigned alotta people in this town would be upset and wouldnt show up to the ballpark and would take them along time to return if ever........recall the white flag debacle. buehrle is a competitor, money will not change his ambition and he wants to be here, hes also the ace of the club and the face of the orginization so it makes sense all the way around including in a business sense for reinsdorf
He is not an ace. He has pitched a ton of innings. He is coming off a year where his era was 5.00 and the league hit .305 off of him. He is a solid #2 starter. People in that town are going to be more upset if the Sox continue to stink despite having Mark Buerhle going to the mound every 5 days for the next 4 years. They are the 4th best team in the Central. They have a guy that is old and usually injured, Thome, as the only guy hitting. They are the weakest team up the middle in the league. Their 3rd baseman is sitting out the year after back surgery. Their corner outfielders are on a downward spiral. The bullpen with the exception of Jenks is a disaster. Maybe keeping him is a good move but I'd move him for some players and try to re sign him in the offseason.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Oriental Park

Cleveland has that division locked up for the next 5 years
Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid

I hate to be a yutz..now you know that....but why do you say what you just did?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
If they dont get some back of the rotation help they wont win the division this year.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
If they dont get some back of the rotation help they wont win the division this year.
God.

Do you always have to say the exact wrong thing?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
He is not an ace. He has pitched a ton of innings. He is coming off a year where his era was 5.00 and the league hit .305 off of him. He is a solid #2 starter. People in that town are going to be more upset if the Sox continue to stink despite having Mark Buerhle going to the mound every 5 days for the next 4 years. They are the 4th best team in the Central. They have a guy that is old and usually injured, Thome, as the only guy hitting. They are the weakest team up the middle in the league. Their 3rd baseman is sitting out the year after back surgery. Their corner outfielders are on a downward spiral. The bullpen with the exception of Jenks is a disaster. Maybe keeping him is a good move but I'd move him for some players and try to re sign him in the offseason.

he is the ace of this staff, hes under 30 and hes30+ over 500 for his career and is a LEFTY. his record is only 5-4 this year but that isnt indicative of how well hes pitched along with some of the other starters. i agree with you bout our infield, uribe definately has to go. both of our kids whove now stepped into starting rolls arent lookin bad at all, fields has shown some pop at the plate and has flashed leather and andi gonzalez hasnt played bad at all offensively or defensively.yes dye is hurt and was playing nowhere near the level he was last year but whats wrong with pods? been playin just fine since hes returned. absolutely agree with you about the bullpen who could argueLOL? some arms in the pen and a couple players and were right back in it next year with the starting pitching we got

PWNED
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

loljust like they were a sure thing to win it last year after having a sizzling second half in 05

PWNED
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Flemington

Quote:
If I were the Mets I'd jump on Buherle. He will give them a chance to win now. I have no idea why the Yankees would want Dye, especially with a big, long contract looming for him?
I disagree. Pedro has started to throw BP. They have some young arms in Maine and Perez who both pitched well in the playoffs last year. Add Glavine and El Duque (Yankees and Sox fan know how good he is in the playoffs if healthy) into the mix and I think they well off. Then if you do get Pedro back you are in even better shape. I think they would be better off going for an outfielder, perhaps Dye. Because it looks like Alou is not coming back soon. Then they can make a move in the off season for a big time pitcher such as Zambrano. A possible rotation of Pedro, Perez, Maine, Glavine and El Duque is pretty formidable, add that to their solid bullpen and things are looking good for the team from Queens.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
he is the ace of this staff, hes under 30 and hes30+ over 500 for his career and is a LEFTY. his record is only 5-4 this year but that isnt indicative of how well hes pitched along with some of the other starters. i agree with you bout our infield, uribe definately has to go. both of our kids whove now stepped into starting rolls arent lookin bad at all, fields has shown some pop at the plate and has flashed leather and andi gonzalez hasnt played bad at all offensively or defensively.yes dye is hurt and was playing nowhere near the level he was last year but whats wrong with pods? been playin just fine since hes returned. absolutely agree with you about the bullpen who could argueLOL? some arms in the pen and a couple players and were right back in it next year with the starting pitching we got
I have always liked Buerhle and he is a good pitcher. But his innings are going to catch up to him and he is not that far away from being very average like he was last year. Pods is a limited offensive player whose entire game is dependant on his legs. He is a guy who cant seem to stay healthy and just does not get on base enough to justify a corner OF position, especially when they are getting next to no offense from centerfield. Fields may be ok but hitting .239 right now. They seem to have some prospect but they are all a few years away from helping. Getting bullpen help is easier said than done because with few exceptions like the Angels or Brewers, everybody needs some.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
I disagree. Pedro has started to throw BP. They have some young arms in Maine and Perez who both pitched well in the playoffs last year. Add Glavine and El Duque (Yankees and Sox fan know how good he is in the playoffs if healthy) into the mix and I think they well off. Then if you do get Pedro back you are in even better shape. I think they would be better off going for an outfielder, perhaps Dye. Because it looks like Alou is not coming back soon. Then they can make a move in the off season for a big time pitcher such as Zambrano. A possible rotation of Pedro, Perez, Maine, Glavine and El Duque is pretty formidable, add that to their solid bullpen and things are looking good for the team from Queens.
If you think that Pedro is going to come back THIS year and be effective, Perez isn't going to blow up, Glavine and El Duque will stay healthy and Maine will continue to be effective I agree with you. But the chance of all those things happening are remote. It will be hard to believe that Pedro will be the same pitcher this year because very few pitchers much younger than him recover from rotator cuff surgery that quickly and are sharp and effective. Glavine and El Duque are big injury risks. If I were them I would feel alot safer having a guy like Buehrle especially in the NL where he should be a bit more effective. The key is Perez because if he throws strikes he can be dominant and he can eat innings. If he gets wild, he can be dreadful. The Mets don't need a whole lot more offense in that lineup and the fact that Dye is a right fielder, the Mets may be better off sticking with the guys they have plus Chavez when he comes back and see who is available at the deadline.

Last edited by Cannon Shell : 06-28-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Randwyck

Pods - is an overrated player. Sure he was instrumental in helping the Sox win the WS, but he's barely better than Juan "Pepe Le" Pierre. He came out of nowhere in Milwaukee to keep the seat warm for Dave Krynzel, who is the same type of player. Everybody is saying, who in the heck is David Krynzel? He "was" the future CF at the time that Pods was in Milwaukee, but the fact that he was the same type of player as Pods plus injuries, derailed his career. Also not helping that Corey Hart is now up with the team, and Bill Hall is working out quite well in the OF for the Brew crew. That was a heck of a deal to trade Pods at the time for the Brewers.

I cringe when John Maine takes the mound. Mike Pelfrey should be better than him, but it keeps happening the other way.