Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Goodwood

Default the R2R story getting weirder by the day

The latest...

http://www.drf.com/news/article/87055.html
Old 07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Nothing weird about it. She is too valuable to run at this point. We will never see her run again. End of story.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 PM
The Curragh

I'm hoping she by some miracle makes the Alabama. The odds on Octave and Lear's Princess will skyrocket
Old 07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Goodwood

well, it sure seems weird to me.

first a fever.
then a phantom pullup in a workout where nobody can figure out why.
then a vet check that clears her
then being shipped to a clinic, where they find, apparently, nothing good or bad?
finally, they are flying in a vet from ireland to look over the lab results?? like they cant email or fax it to him?

seems pretty weird to me.

and this talk of her being too valuabe is nonsense. tiz wonderful is probably worth more money than she is, and hard spun is undoubtedly worth more.

curlin and street sense are worth far more, and yet they are running.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
not betting her in the belmont...first time i never put any on a filly...my psychic abilities were ahead of themselves
Your psycic abilites continue to amaze.
I'm thinkin' of doing tarot card readings, palms, and clover quests ( 4 leafs only).
I didn't have R2R in the Belmont either. Hence the discounts I'm offering on the other prognostications.
Dang! I need to adjust my turban again, and this star robe is getting a bit warm in the summer heat.
Don't worry, I'll perservere.

On a side note...
What exactly don't some folks not understand about having a GR I winner and not wanting to risk future injury?
Make nice babies Rags.
I predict the first one will be a colt.

pm me if you want a very special deal on "lucky" horse shoes. I'm overstocked.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Keeneland

I think they obviously found something, and the question now is what they want to do about it.

Can you think of something that causes a fever, then possibly lethargy/stumbling?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
I think they obviously found something, and the question now is what they want to do about it.

Can you think of something that causes a fever, then possibly lethargy/stumbling?

good point riot. neuro damage?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Oaklawn

Did they give her a pregnancy test? Sounds quite strange, but as others have said, I believe we have seen the last of her. Whatever it is I hope it's not very serious.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoxfan
Did they give her a pregnancy test? Sounds quite strange, but as others have said, I believe we have seen the last of her. Whatever it is I hope it's not very serious.
That's a very interesting question, re: pregnancy test.
If she's in foal, and I really don't know, she must have been bred close up to the Belmont, and I really don't think so.
A May or June mating makes for a late foal.
Could this be morning sickness?
I dunno.
None of mine ever showed that, but, heck, they're female horses that don't speak English too well. Spanish, sometimes, but then again, it takes an expert to understand what they're saying.
I also think we've seen the last of her on the track, but I'll be watching for the stallion that she's booked to come Dec or Jan.
Then...later.
I hope she makes a nice baby. For sure, it will sell huge.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

When asked a while back if something was wrong with her, Pletcher replied "not yet". From that point on, nothing else is weird with this situation.

I don't know why they would need to because she is their property and they can retire her anytime they feel like it....but I have gotten the feeling that they have been looking for something to be wrong with her since she crossed the line first in the Belmont. First, Tabor says that he's "always felt she was just that much better than anything else".....then instead of moving forward, they wanted to take backwards steps and go back to facing 3yo fillies again. Looking at everything that's happened since then, it seems to me that they are looking for an out. Maybe it's so that they don't get villified in the press for retiring a perfectly healthy 3yo star filly?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I take it the pregnancy thing was a joke, because it's ridiculous. If and when she foals, there is no way they sell her foals. Come on guys.
Aw, c'mon, haven't you seen them breeding race horses in the morning on the backstretch?

(Outdated but interesting laws department: it's illegal to breed horses in public in downtown Lexington, KY, apparently that was quite a serious problem 130 years or so ago ....)

Unfortunately, there's obviously a bit of something amiss (I could think of multiple things that fit the little information we, as the public, have) - let's hope it's nothing much at all, and she can get back to the races as soon as possible!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-27-2007, 07:53 PM
The Curragh

public horse breeding?? I'd like to see that.........
Old 07-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i don't think it's getting weirder. filly is worth a ton, and they are taking every precaution. they don't need an excuse to retire her--what would it matter if it raised the fans' ire? she'll go home, and make babies for them to race--not as tho they need goodwill to make a buck with her offspring.
perhaps they are just taking every precaution before moving forward. i can just imagine the heat they would take if something was to happen to her in a work, etc, if they didn't make absolutely sure she was ok before resuming training.
if they didn't want to race anymore, she's theirs--they can do as they please. not as tho anyone can stop them! i think they feel something is amiss--they're just not sure yet what they are facing.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot

Lyme disease.Because of her value, I would assume she is vaccinated against every horse disease.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
I take it the pregnancy thing was a joke, because it's ridiculous. If and when she foals, there is no way they sell her foals. Come on guys.
It is pretty ridiculous, but it has happened before in lesser stables. Male horse gets out of stall at night, finds filly in next stall to be in heat, 11months later.......
Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_break
It is pretty ridiculous, but it has happened before in lesser stables. Male horse gets out of stall at night, finds filly in next stall to be in heat, 11months later.......
It would be hilarious if some 10,000 claimer got out of his stall at night and did an unsuspecting Rags when no one was looking Improbable I know but..would be funny
Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
LOL..it most certainly was intended as a joke, but it has kind of taken on a life of it's own. We know who isn't the dad. Funny Cide. Maybe Curlin nailed her after the Belmont.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
It would be hilarious if some 10,000 claimer got out of his stall at night and did an unsuspecting Rags when no one was looking Improbable I know but..would be funny
Ridiculous to think that could happen on the sly. The stall mucker would find the cigarette butts and empty booze bottles in the morning.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley
Lyme disease.Because of her value, I would assume she is vaccinated against every horse disease.
no vaccine for lyme disease in horses.
but I am NOT saying I think she might have it.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
no vaccine for lyme disease in horses.
but I am NOT saying I think she might have it.

I know. Even the dog vaccine is only 75% effective. We treat alot of horses for lyme disease in the northeast. Just figure it's more probable than pregnancy. Easily treated with Doxycycline though.