Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Gulfstream Park

Wouldn't surprised if any of about half the field won this. One of the toughest renewals in recent memory. Not much speed in here and I've keyed that into consideration.

Here's my first four:

#4 Epiphaneia is my top pick. Is a G1 winner, a G2 winner at 12f, has won on firm, has won on soft...Needed the run when coming back at Hanshin in April and I really liked his run in HK. Caught three wide feeling the breeze and battled on bravely against a quality field. Just used the last to get back into action and will be much improved this time around. Has a great draw and can sit right behind the lead. May drift upwards of 10-1 and that is very tasty, especially with Soumillon.
#18 Trading Leather: G1 winner as a 3yo at 12f and has been G1 placed a handful of times since. Has tactical speed to negate the poor draw. Overseas runners have been horrendous recently but the connections know what it takes to win big abroad.
#3 Gentildonna: Very much the one to beat, but can she really win 3 in a row????
#9 Isla Bonita: Beaten fav in the Tenno Sho, but even with that result has done very little wrong to date. Should get a great trip but the 3yo fillies have been more successful than their male counterparts recently.

The following in number order...
#6 Harp Star: Has never run a bad one but will be hampered by her running style.
#8 Denim and Ruby: Fantastic second last year and I feel you can make legit excuses for her runs since, but I don't think the race will be run to suit.
#10 One and Only: Not much separates him from #9, however, the theme is running style and I think he'll be pace compromised.
#15 Spielberg: 5yo very much on the rise, but I just doubt that he has the speed to sit closer at this level.

Not exactly sure how I'll play it yet, but I know I'll be keying the 4.

Good luck!