Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Santa Anita

Crap, every once in a while they'll score multiple runs at home in the 9th inning just to tease us, back to only 1 game out. Exhausto, 3 straight quality starts. Uh-oh!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

We'll see what the trade deadline yields. The Tigers are already on the high end of payroll, and I can't see them adding something substantial. Who knows where the Indian ownership's collective noggins are?

Non sequitur, but Justin Verlander threw 100 plus pitches for the 41st straight start last night. Nobody has had that kind of streak in the expansion era. He's a throwback (now that I say that, he'll come down with elbow tenderness in a week).
Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Santa Anita

I think just Verlander makes the Tiggers the favorite plus a semblence of an offense. the White Sox and Indians have more pitching than Detroit, but simply pathetic offense. I mean bad. Tribe got no hit today by the way, which tells the story of their offense!!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 PM

The Tigers aren't exactly breaking any scoring records. Losing 2/3 to the friggin White Sox hurts.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Saratoga

If this trade happens it will go down as one of the worst trades ever made in basebally history..

The swine at Prez and his puppet at GM have no idea how to handle being in a "playoff race" because they don't know that we AREN'T!!

Trade away our best prospects for a PITCHER!!...who is not exactly Sandy Koufax!

We can lose 1-0 ...we KNOW that!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
If this trade happens it will go down as one of the worst trades ever made in basebally history..

The swine at Prez and his puppet at GM have no idea how to handle being in a "playoff race" because they don't know that we AREN'T!!

Trade away our best prospects for a PITCHER!!...who is not exactly Sandy Koufax!

We can lose 1-0 ...we KNOW that!
I think clyde this is a reaction to after the 1997 season when Pedro Martinez could have been ours and we refused to include Jaret Wright in any deal because of his "potential". We all know the careers both of those had after the 1997 season. Not saying this will turn out the same nor that Jimenez is anything close to Pedro, but I understand the logic. I don't think it means crap overall as it's hard to see them winning anything, but it clearly states they are all in for 2011, 2012, and 2013....then it's over again for quite awhile. White throws a splitter and has already had middle finger problems (don't we all!!) and Pomeranz had issues in college too. It's a crap shoot with both guys. Both could be great, both could be terrible. I think it's likely one of the two will turn out good. I honestly can't praise or bash this deal. I see the logic to both sides of the debate though. (every time I leave my house for awhile all hell breaks loose in Cleveland!!)
Old 08-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Saratoga

Sorry..it blows.

And stay home.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Sorry..it blows.

And stay home.
It's still a 27 year old who has had great success at the major league level who is under contract for 3 more years (which I understand begs the question of why on earth would the Rockies have any interest in dealing him??) And of course makes you wonder if this is simply Exhausto part 2 (and also the guy can't hit either and all you get is more 3-2 losses instead of 5-2 losses).
Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
It's still a 27 year old who has had great success at the major league level who is under contract for 3 more years (which I understand begs the question of why on earth would the Rockies have any interest in dealing him??) And of course makes you wonder if this is simply Exhausto part 2 (and also the guy can't hit either and all you get is more 3-2 losses instead of 5-2 losses).
Now yer talkin'.

He does have Exhasuto written all over him.

Some say this is unique in that the trade was not only for this year (??),but the next 2.Like you said, as it stands....lose prettier 3-2 than 5-2.

Thank God for Babe Fucl<U in right field.Where would we be these last few games without him?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Saratoga

...c u latah,HC......don't forget to check in during the Tribe's next 10 game losing streak coming right up.....thank God for those huge playoff run trades...
Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 PM

I think the Indians way overpaid for Ubaldo. He makes sense financially, but the guy has basically had a single really good season, one just solid season, and the rest of his career has been pretty average (including 2011).

We'll see if he leads the Indians to the promised land.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Saratoga

I think we covered this already.

The trade sucks.

So do the Indians.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
I think the Indians way overpaid for Ubaldo. He makes sense financially, but the guy has basically had a single really good season, one just solid season, and the rest of his career has been pretty average (including 2011).

We'll see if he leads the Indians to the promised land.
I'm not sure. We won't know until 2013 if this was a good or bad trade. They traded none of their top hitting prospects (Kipnis/Chisenhall) and one of their star pitching prospects they traded pitched 2 major leage games and tore up his middle finger in his 3rd game. Pitchers are all crap shoots with their health including Jimenez. But also White and Pomeranz. I can understand the gamble they made.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Saratoga

Well thank our luckies for Fucl<U.

Why we needed a proven phwit! who is 34 with a whole 15 rbi's in 293 at bats this year---I'll never know.

I'm sure the new pitcher is going to do wonders with our 2 run offense.

Thank goodness the Tribe's braindust has thrown away the future for a playoff race " injection "....in which we are not even involved.

Maybe we can find something for Randy Moss to do.

Last edited by clyde : 08-03-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: oh shutup...sick a seein' this already
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Saratoga

Great debut by U-Boob-O.

He almost made it to 5 and a third innings.

The Tribe got him just in time as I had almost forgot about Ken Strom.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Saratoga

AND he only allowed 5 earned in an Exhausto like 108 pitches.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Saratoga

But at least his walks/hits per inning is 2.0....and an era of 9.

He's another swell addition when you think about Mr. .200, Fucl<U.

Thank our luckies Shapiro has no idea what planet he is occupying.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Saratoga

Thank goodness we don't need a closer.

Oh.

We do.

My bad.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Saratoga

The Tribe is really making this division race really interesting, extending the Tigers lead to 4 games tonight by bunny quick snatching defeat from the scary jaws of victory .

Oh Mr. LaPorta-ski....it is not very wise to be arguing a call at first while the winning run on third tip toes his way to home plate.

At least they lose in a different way each game.

Interesting stuff.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Santa Anita

fukodome should bat leadoff. I've seen you talk about him. His OBP is over .370 the last 3 years running. It's his only skill. Why he bats 6th is a mystery. Not a great player by any means, but since you got him, at least utilize his only skill which is getting on base. Batting him 6th in front of 3 bad hitters is pretty much meaningless. He gets on base more frequently than anyone on the team except the DH. I'd actually want someone on base when Cabrera and Hafner bat, not when LaPorta and other bad players bat. A .370 OBP for 3 consecutive years is a pretty nice skill which is not prevalent on the team. use it.

I'm not gonna crucify Ubaldo until sometime during next season, which is when we'll know more about White and the progression of Pomeranz. Season's over so it really doesn't matter. I'll wait til next year though. (rockies have him cheap through 2013 or 2014 which makes me wonder why they traded him....this is the type of trade Shapiro was good at and this Antonnetti tried to do the reverse trade. Probably won't work, have to think one of the two pitchers we traded will end up really good, oh well. I am just going to hope Ubaldo does well despite his regression to his 2008 form. He wears the Cleveland laundary so I'll hope for the best.)